American Idol 5 Pt. II - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2006, 10:57 AM   #196
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:31 PM

Last night sucked.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 04-05-2006, 12:55 PM   #197
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's Doll
I hope Mandisa goes--I can't take much more of her screeching! Most of you are too young to really remember Kenny Rogers--but man he didn't even look the same as I remember him with Dolly Parton back in the 80's--something tells me a little eye lift here & little botox there.

You know, up until last week, she was one of my favorites - she really seems to have gotten SO into her self. AMerican Idol is not the place to go shouting your religious beliefs etc... based solely on last night's performances, no one stood out. I'll be interested to see who's out tonight. I can't believe Bucky is still here. He's likeable enough - but he simply just cannot sing.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:51 PM   #198
Refugee

Local Time: 01:31 AM
AI-Country Night

Taylor (Take Me Home, Country Roads-John Denver)-This was not the best song choice for Taylor. I don’t think he did as well as he could. And he didn’t seem too thrilled to be singing this song. Many people have mentioned that Taylor should have song a country song with a more bluesy/soulful vibe. I agree. There is a wonderful singer by the name of Robbie Fulks who has a lot of bluesy/soul vibe to his songs and I think Taylor could really deliver one of Mr. Fulks’ songs (however, not “Fuck This Town”-tee hee). I’m sure the Powers that Be wanted Taylor to sing a song that was more recognizable to the American public. But we all know I’m in the Taylor camp, so I’ll allow him one tepid performance. I know he can bring it next week. Perhaps he was under the weather.

Mandisa (Any Man of Mine-Shania Twain)-Any man of mine would have told Mandisa to shut up. She just didn’t bring anything to this song though I’m not exactly fan of the song to begin with. And I think her preaching and Beth Moore worship has tainted my opinion of her. Plus her outfit was atrocious. She looked like a planet that sings.

Elliott (If Tomorrow Never Comes-Garth Brooks)-Elliott, as usual, sings like an angel, yet he didn’t seem to feel the song. However, I don’t get the feeling country music is exactly his niche; he wasn’t quite in his comfort zone. And he did mention that he was nervous.

Paris (How Do I Live Without You?-LeAnn Rhimes, Trisha Yearwood)-I don’t think this song needs to be belted the way Paris belted it. I would like Paris to try subtlety and vulnerability, but I don’t think Paris has a subtle or vulnerable bone in her body. Paris has a wonderful voice, but she doesn’t seem to get the songs, which may be a reflection of her youth. And what was up with Simon’s comment that Paris reminded him of an early Dionne Warwick? Dionne Warwick hosting “Solid Gold” completely coked-out of her mind maybe.

Ace (I Wanna Cry-Keith Urban)-I absolutely love this song-when Keith Urban sings it. I like Ace, but he’s so vapid. It’s as if he brings no personality to his performances. However, he did bring the falsetto at the end, which will probably bring him some votes. I’m sure Paula’s vagina voted for him

Kellie (Fancy-Reba McIntire)-Kellie puts “DumbBlondeGate” to rest. She really is an idiot. Yes, what a positive role model for young girls everywhere. Yes, you could say Kellie was in her element on country night, but that doesn’t mean she can actually sing. I wasn’t impressed at all and I was bothered by the ass-kissing the judges were giving her. Why is she still in the competition?

Chris (Making Memories of Us-Keith Urban)-Chris doing country was actually pretty good and a sweet surprise, I like that he went down a few notches on the rocker thing, but his intense scary stare was a bit disconcerting.

Katharine (Bringing Out the Elvis In Me-Faith Hill)-Katharine wanted to go bluesy so she picks, of all people, Faith Hill? I did not like this song at all. I wish she would have done some old Linda Ronstadt like “Blue Bayou” or Rosanne Cash’s “Seven Year Ache”. And Katharine’s performance was too skeevy. She’s too classy for that. Being skeevy is Kellie’s schtick.

Bucky (The Best I Ever Had-Gary Allan/Vertical Horizon)
I’ve always liked this song and I think Bucky did an okay job. It was pitchy in some parts, but I liked this grit and growliness he brought to it. I liked the cowboy hat and the Dennis Weaver as “McCloud” jacket Bucky was wearing.

Sadly another meh night. Thank goodness for white wine. Country music is a huge genre, with some amazing songs, so why did the contestants sing such twee, Oprah-esque, soccer mommy crap?
Old 04-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #199
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:31 PM
Country week. Meh. Comments from best to worst. Although, the worst really weren't a trainwreck like last week.

Sadly, the best was actually Kellie: She actually did a good job on a Reba song. Although, I don't know how appropriate a song about prostitution is on American Idol.

Ace: He almost lost me last week. This week though, he sounded great, even the falsetto. I still want to see him perform something more upbeat. Hopefully next week.

Katherine: great vocals on an otherwise meh song. For me, she is the best female vocalist on the show and I like how she's showing a bit more personality lately.

Chris: Hey, he can actually sing! Next week will be back to rock. But, I really liked his performance and the song itself was not bad. I might just have to listen to some Keith Urban.

Elliot: Garth Brooks can be tricky and I would have preferred the Dance, but he sang it well. Again, his stage presence needs work, and he is probably best suited for a studio singer, but he does seem to be improving.

Paris: Most recognizable song of the night. She did a great job with her vocals, and was dressed much better.

Mandisa: The stylist must hate her. She just doesn't sound good when she isn't belting. The end of the song was good, but the beginning was weak.

Taylor: Step away from the John Denver. Bad song choice, he needed something with a bit more soul.

Based on the spoilers, I think Paris or Mandisa is gone.

Next week: Rock! with special guests Queen.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:56 PM   #200
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:31 PM
Yikes, another cruddy night on Idol. My favs were Elliot and Chris.

What was up with Taylor? He was so empty, so unlike himself. I hope that he doesn't get voted off.. I hope that we'll see the bouncy Taylor return.

I'm not a new country fan at all. The stuff they put out these days is pretty well just processed pop. So I too, had trouble enjoying this theme.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:02 PM   #201
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by RavenBlue
What was up with Taylor? He was so empty, so unlike himself. I hope that he doesn't get voted off.. I hope that we'll see the bouncy Taylor return.
[/B]
I just read at another site that Taylor was very sick yesterday, with strep throat and a high fever. YIKES!!!! Hope he's feeling better.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:05 PM   #202
Blue Crack Addict

Oh really? That's too bad, I hope he's feeling better and doesn't get the boot tonight.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:05 PM   #203
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:31 PM
You all are right-there are really no stand out performers-my fave-still is Chris. (I really miss Bo Bice )
Old 04-05-2006, 02:09 PM   #204
Blue Crack Addict

If I was honest about who I'd like to see go it would be Ace... but that's just me likely
Old 04-05-2006, 04:37 PM   #205
Blue Crack Distributor

So who goes tonight?
Old 04-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #206
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Golightly Grrl
Plus her outfit was atrocious. She looked like a planet that sings.
That is hilarious! Oh man....you are right though! WHY did they go with horizontal stripes?!?!?!
Old 04-05-2006, 05:24 PM   #207
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't watch it last night.
Country music for an hour would have driven me crazy. I don't know why I sat through that theme last year.

I'll watch it tonight though and see recaps.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:00 PM   #208
Refugee

Local Time: 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by tiny dancer
So who goes tonight?
I think it will be Mandisa... But in my dreams, it would be Paris... that pug-faced evil troll bitch makes me sick...
Old 04-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #209
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:31 PM
I don't think Mandisa is bad enough to be voted off tonight... I could see Bucky going (would actually love to see it), and I wouldn't be surprised or upset if Ace leaves as well.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #210
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:31 PM
next week's theme is Queen
I wonder how that's gonna go over.