American Idol 5 Pt. II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WildHoneyAlways said:

That's not the point though. The contestants are supposed to make the songs their own.

Well, I guess she did then.

Oh well, at least that's over :).

edit: I forgot about the results show :reject:. I heard it's a group sing to We Are The Champions.

Edit: I revise my comments about Paris. Everyone else (i.e. the folks on televisionwithoutpity forums) seem to like her version. I just love the original too much :sad:.

Last edited:
Well, I did not like how Kelly was "made up", and the "on paper" thing - she just doesn't come off as too bright :der:
I did not care for Paris' "look" :huh: Or much else about the performance.
I was glad Taylor changed his mind and sung 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love'. Thought that was a better choice. I did like Katharine & Chris. And I was relieved that Elliott didn't butcher 'Somebody To Love'. I can't believe he'd never heard it before :ohmy: I liked it!
And Ace decided to go rocker :shifty: :tsk:

Bucky or is he really his evil twin Rocky?:hmm: Whoever this guy is...one of his better performances.

Ace - Bad but not the worst of the bunch. The judges now seem to have it in for him. He came across as a real jerkoff in front of Queen.

Kelly - Just dreadful. Like she crawled out of the line at a midnight showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The judges comments about her have become idiotic. Maybe they're now sharing Paula's pills.

Chris - Ok, granted..the guy just doesn't have much of a personality but he does have the best voice of the competition. Along with Taylor, you could hear him on the radio.

Katharine - Thought this was a horrible rendition of a great song. She's become very one note. She's a theatre singer.

Elliot - I liked his song and his radio intro.

Taylor - How can you miss the mike stand? Thought he was ok...not a big fan of the song.

Paris - Who is dressing these people? Put a hood on Paris and she was right out of that basement scene in Pulp Fiction. Paris is a good singer but she needs a few years to discover who she is...for the first time tonight you could see the pressure starting to get to her. Probably hard for a sixteen year old.

The show tonight was just... meh... okay to me. Kind of disappointing, actually. I had to fast forward through Ace and Kellie's performances (via TiVo), but I loved Taylor. I really wish he would've sang "We Are the Champions" or maybe even "Somebody to Love," but it was hilarious when he missed the mic stand! LOL!

Another favorite moment was Brian May pretty much bitch-slapping Ace. Absolutely awesome. :evil:

Ace wanted to arange "We will Rock You" differently and Brian MAy said something to the extent "I am not going to do that with my song" It was classic. I though Ace was awful-I am still bitter though by the "Drops os Jupiter" performance and his acting out the lyrics.

I was actuallyreally surprised by Bucky last night and thought he was quite good for him. Loved Chris as usual.

Paris was good voice wise but her hair and outfit was just plain gross. I was watching an interview with the stylist and he said he tries to get the 'stars' to remember they have to look good b/c it is the way they lookis was the audience first judges them on. Obviously Paris played hooky for that lesson.

I hope Ace goes.

Ooh, I can't wait to get home and watch the tape from last night. I did catch Katharine and thought she was pretty good, although dangerously close to shrill on the high notes. She looked good, though.

Can't wait to see Ace suck. :wink:

Here is DialIdol.com prediction for tonight. Since it has been 81% accurate the site has my respects. If either Bucky or Ace leave I would be a happy camper...

Crazy that Chris might be in the bottom three tonight... :ohmy:

DialIdol
Rank Idol DialIdol Score Margin Of Error Actual Rank
1 Taylor Hicks 31.38 1.634 -
2 Kellie Pickler 27.912 1.675 -
3 Paris Bennett 26.298 1.694 -
4 Elliott Yamin 24.404 1.715 -
5 Katharine McPhee 22.55 1.736 -
6 Chris Daughtry 22.404 1.738 -
7 Bucky Covington 16.585 1.802 -
8 Ace Young 16.31 1.805 -

The Crazy Eights Sing Queen

I have to admit that I thought that tonight would be a trainwreck of epic proportions and I was wonderfully surprised that I enjoyed the performances. I bet Freddie was in heaven enjoying the campiness of it all.

Bucky (Fat-Bottomed Girls)-He still needs to enunciate, but so many of us know this song that it may not be a problem. I think Bucky was very good at a song that suited both the gruff in his voice and his country-fried persona. He really looked like he was having fun with the song. What a great way to start the show. Maybe Simon heard another song, but I didn’t think Bucky’s performance was mediocre.

Ace (We Will Rock You)-Ace in leather pants. I didn’t know Garanimals made leather pants. Ace takes one of rock and roll’s most iconic songs and makes it the blandest bland that ever blanded. And of course, he adds a falsetto at the end. “We Will Rock You” should never be song like a boy band song. I wasn’t impressed at all. I had to giggle how Queen didn’t take any of Ace’s so-called advice. Um, Ace...they’re Queen. They know what they’re doing.

Kellie (Bohemian Rhapsody)-Why was she wearing David Bowie’s wig from “Labyrinth?” And what was up with the dead look in her eyes at the beginning? However, this wasn’t quite the trainwreck that I thought it would be (okay, hoping it would be, snerk). I’m disappointed in you, Kellie. You’re supposed to suck. I didn’t expect her to actually connect with the song, so I wasn’t surprised at the wink and the floor humping. Of course, Pickler, once again, shows off her true stupidity by not knowing what “on paper” means. I knew what that meant when I was five. Kellie is proof that Bush’s “No Child Left Behind” act is not working. And her running up to the members of Queen, giving them a hug and announcing “I’m Kellie.” I don’t think this was so much about being friendly as it was “Look at me! I’m Kellie!!! It’s all about meeeee!!!”

Chris (Innuendo)-Gee, I can’t imagine why Chris would choose this song considering it sounds so much like a Creed or Live song. No wonder Queen has never played this song live. It’s so boring (and yes, Freddie Mercury died before it could be sung live). Was Chris wearing eyeliner? How pretty. Of course, Randy and Paula completely pimp him, but Simon actually makes sense when he said Chris’s performance was indulgent. It was. I wish Chris would try something completely new for himself. He always plays it safe. Ho hum.

Katharine (Who Wants to Live Forever)-I really think her vocals delivered on this song. There were a few rank notes but nothing that made me totally cringe. I always thought Katharine had a strong theater geek vibe so singing a Queen song, one of the most theatrical bands ever, was perfect for her. However, I can’t see her so much as an American Idol as I can see her performing on Broadway and winning some Tony Awards

Elliott (Somebody to Love)-This is the perfect song for Elliott to sing. I can’t imagine another contestant singing this song. Elliott’s voice was very strong and his stage presence, thought still a little weak, is coming along and I think he’s getting better and better. He truly had one of the best performances. I’m so proud of my little bubbeleh!

Taylor (Crazy Little Thing Called Love)-After being kidnapped by the pod people last week, Original Recipe Taylor is back. His vocals were top notch. He sang with joy and the manic energy that made me take notice of him from the beginning. I absolutely loved his fun dancing and his command of the stage. What an awesome performance. Remember when David Radford sang this song early in the competition? Me neither. But what was up with Simon’s comment, “Are you drunk?” How rude! Taylor’s performance was not ridiculous. I’m so sick of how Simon undermines Taylor week after week. But speaking of drunk, I nearly spit out my wine when Taylor missed the mike stand. However, if you don’t succeed, try again. Right, Taylor?

Paris (The Show Must Go On)-WTF was she wearing? She looked like she was channeling Janet Jackson, Janet Jackson as Penny on “Good Times.” But I digress, vocally, I think Paris did a wonderful job and but as mentioned before, she doesn’t really connect with the lyrics. Does she actually read the lyrics?

U2@NYC said:
Here is DialIdol.com prediction for tonight. Since it has been 81% accurate the site has my respects. If either Bucky or Ace leave I would be a happy camper...

Crazy that Chris might be in the bottom three tonight... :ohmy:

DialIdol
Rank Idol DialIdol Score Margin Of Error Actual Rank
1 Taylor Hicks 31.38 1.634 -
2 Kellie Pickler 27.912 1.675 -
3 Paris Bennett 26.298 1.694 -
4 Elliott Yamin 24.404 1.715 -
5 Katharine McPhee 22.55 1.736 -
6 Chris Daughtry 22.404 1.738 -
7 Bucky Covington 16.585 1.802 -
8 Ace Young 16.31 1.805 -

Ooh, I'd be happy seeing either Ace or Bucky going. Last time I saw the DialIdol results, it predicted Katharine was out, but thankfully, Lisa got the boot instead. I won't feel the need to hold my breath so much this time. :wink:

Geez, why did I not discovered this thread earlier?

Last night was surprisingly good. I expected Ace to do Bohemian Rhapsody for the nice high parts, but even though he We Will Rock You, it was still terrible. I hope he goes. And Kelli and Paris's outfits. Who's trashcan were they digging in?

My favorites are Elliott, Taylor and Chris. I just wish Chris would do something else for a change. Taylor is just plain amusing with an excellent voice to go with it. AI would be lost and lifeless without him. And Elliott has the best voice in the competition. I can't decide which I like best, I just hope they all go to at least the bottm four.

My call is Ace leaves tonight. I'll be sad if Bucky does, but still. I'll live.

Golightly Grrl! - I :love: you

And 'Somebody To Love', as I stated before, was one I was looking forward to and happy that Elliott got to perform it :applaud:

Golightly Grrl.. your reviews are hilarious and have made me laugh out loud yet again. :giggle:

I love how Queen totally dissed Ace's idea.
What Brian May said after Ace suggested altering it
B: I could never do that to my own song

What he meant
B: I'm not going to let some little twerp like you ruin this song.

Unfortch, it happened anyway as Ace was horrible. On the plus side, he has very nice arms.

Buh bye Ace.

Bucky did good.

I kind of felt like Katherine was shouting at some points.

Chris :yawn: I like Chris.. but gee whillikers. He could have done an awesome of job of We Will Rock You.

Paris did good again. She irritates me for unknown reasons. :shrug:

Taylor is baaaaaack! Woo! Loved his performance, so nice to see him feeling better! :dance:

Elliot I really enjoy and have from the start. I thought he did great once again and of all the Idols.. I think he has one of the most beautiful voices.

I couldn't believe it when I heard Kellie was going to do the BIG song. I was cringing before she started... I don't know how.. but she pulled it off.
:ohmy: I do get sick sometimes of the silly things she says.. it's got to be an act right? right?

So who will get the old heave hoe tonight? Bucky or Ace? Ace please!

If this show is rigged in some way as many people believe, then these 2 people will stay on at least another week or two:

Ace:
if Ace gets booted, AI will lose a lot of woman viewers/voters. My guess is that AI gets more women viewership than men.

Taylor:
if Taylor gets booted, you will lose the most colorful personality from the show and it can get dull and people will find something else to watch.

i do believe the show is rigged and they are pimping Chris to be the next American Idol. i agree that keeping Ace and Taylor are good for ratings.... although i don't think they can keep Ace around much longer without people getting suspicious... he's clearly not as good as the others and he's in the bottom 3 alot... and now that they're down to 8, somebody with a lot of fans has to go home every week... i think Ace's time is up... although, i'd prefer it to be Bucky... Ace sucks, but he's mildly entertaining... and watching Paula slobber all over him always cracks me up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom