American Idol 5 - Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taylor Or Kat

• Taylor

Votes: 50 82.0%
  • Katharine

Votes: 11 18.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interviews :

Katharine McPhee Interview

From Entertainment Weekly.com

Did she know she wouldn't win? "Did I know? I guess I had a feeling that he could probably take it home. Especially because Taylor has been high up in the voting thing for the last couple of weeks. He'd never been in the bottom three. I think he's the only one who's never been in the bottom three. He did it. I wasn't in a panic. It wasn't like, ''I was staying up for four hours last night voting,'' like, ''Oh, I have to win American Idol!'' At the point I made top two, I felt like there were so many doors opening for me."

How did she choose her songs? "'Black Horse and Cherry Tree,' I chose that because I think I knew everyone was going to want me to sing that. Everyone was like, ''Oh, good, we wanted you to sing that.'' It's just a song that I think I could've put on an album or something like that. And also it's a fun song for me to let go. And then 'Somewhere over the Rainbow' was a hard decision for me. I had everybody who thinks they're everybody telling me what they think I should do. 'Don't sing it.' 'Oh, it's too soon to sing that song.' Blah blah blah. And then it ended up being the one thing Simon thought might save me, so I don't have any regrets. I'm glad I did it. I didn't win American Idol for a reason. I think I came in second place for a reason. It's not second-best; it's just as good.

Was she upset when Simon predicted Taylor would win? "No, I didn't get mad at all. I wasn't really hurt. It was just one of those things when it's like, Okay, someone's gotta win. And then you think, Well, maybe I can still win. I don't think I was in this... I don't think I was really desperate to win American Idol. I was just grateful to be in the top two, to be honest."

Did she like her single, "My Destiny"? "I liked it when I heard it, but it's a lot different when you hear it produced. I think people will like it when they hear it produced, with the echo behind it, just a lot of things they put with the song that you don't get to hear live. And also, my voice was not doing good. I sang it as best I could."

Was she having trouble with her voice? "I was losing my voice by the dress rehearsal. I had to have a shot of cortisone from my doctor. He came in and definitely saved my day."

How did the Meatloaf duet come about? "They just came to me. It wasn't like it was my choice. They just said, Okay, you'll be singing with so-and-so...I didn't even know who he was. But now I do. He was like really big in the '70s, right?"

She and Taylor wanted to do "the lift" from Dirty Dancing during "Time of My Life" but..., "Yes! We wanted to! We thought there was going to be a commercial break before the finale for the results. I was supposed to be wearing a different dress, and we wanted to do a spin and a dip at the end, but not with that dress."

Taylor Hicks Interviews

From MTV.com:

What he was thinking as Ryan opened the envelope, "I was just telling myself, "Don't fall to the floor, don't let your knees buckle." I'm living the American dream. Believe in your dreams. I want to thank all the people who voted for me, because this is my dream and it's come true."

What Katharine said afterward, "She congratulated me and I congratulated her. She's such a beautiful young lady and wonderful entertainer, and she's going to have a bright future in whatever endeavor she chooses."

What put him over the Top Tuesday, "I think what really helped me was the second slot of the performance order. That's something that I really thrive on, the wrap performance. As a performer, I was just lucky [to be] on the flipside of the coin."
Is he an evangelist for soul music? "My vision as an artist, when I first heard Ray Charles at 12 years old, was to try to inject some more feeling and soul and depth into my music and hopefully be able to touch the lives of other people. And "American Idol" has given me this outlet to do that."

Has he opened the doors for older musicians chasing their dreams? "Definitely. I had no idea America would embrace gray hair as much as they have."

What kind of album would he like to make? "An album with soul. It's gonna have a lot of feeling. I'm an instrumentalist as well as vocalist, and I'm going to play harmonica and guitar on it. It's just going to have to be a really good representation of who I am as an artist. There are going to be some things that I'm going to want to do creatively that I've never been able to get to do before American Idol, possibly a little bit cutting-edge. There could be some original music on it, but I really just want really good songs. There are also a couple of albums obviously that I've done before American Idol that I'm very proud of and hope to re-release on a bigger scale, possibly even re-record. "

Will he live in Birmingham or Los Angeles? "I'll probably live on my tour bus. I might have some little lake place somewhere where I can sit on a porch and just stare at a tree and some water. But as far as what I've always wanted to do, I've always wanted to be on a bus. My home has been the road since even before "American Idol." My Birmingham apartment has been there and it's been nice to come home to, but I've been only there for a few days and then I'm on the road. A tour bus with some good, cold, iceberg lettuce is probably where I'm going to stay."
What would be his dream tour? "I love Van Morrison, I love Bob Seger, I love Paul Simon, and if Ray Charles was around, I'd been knocking on his front door. John Legend and John Mayer, they've got good feeling in their music. I love hip-hop, anything that channels the soul I'm into."

From Entertainment Weekly:

Did he think he would win? "I was nervous. I was nervous the whole day. I just didn't want there to be a shocker, you know? I didn't want there to be the shocking event. Every week I performed as well as I could, and it worked out. I am, indeed, the American Idol."

Did he sleep well Tuesday night? "I really couldn't sleep last night because I knew what kind of great show we were going to have tonight. It was a wonderful, wonderful show, and I'm so excited to be having this opportunity. I'm living the American dream."

Taylor wants to see the X-men...in his purple jacket, "I am probably going to wear the purple jacket to the next movie I'm going to see...Hopefully I'll get to see a movie in the near future. Probably X-Men...I want to see it in a theater and get the whole surround-sound effect. Popcorn would be nice. That way it's quiet and everyone is watching the screen instead of Tay Tay.

Is he ready to lose his anonymity? "I think I knew what the American Idol stood for, and it's going to be a pretty famous ride for a while. We'll have to see what happens. I just want to make the best music I can."

How he chose his finale performance songs, "'Levon' was my first song I ever sang live on the show. 'Living for the City' was just such an arousing, awesome song. I was thrilled to be able to sing it again. Even the single, 'Do I Make You Proud?,' is good.

How much time did he have to learn the new single? "Two days. Two days to Taylorize...I just took some of the lyrics and got into them and really felt it. I think it's going to be a good single off the American Idol show."

About his fellow contestants, "We all are such a family. It's such a family-oriented thing you go through; it's such an interesting process. We're all friends, and what a great group of folks and what great talent."

Numb1075 said:
she never heard of Meatloaf??!!:huh:

lucky girl!

And you have to remember she's 22, meaning she was born in 1984 (god that makes me feel old). So it's understandable. And why would he of all people be performing? When was the last time he was heard from? :huh:

Lila64 said:

And you have to remember she's 22, meaning she was born in 1984 (god that makes me feel old). So it's understandable. And why would he of all people be performing? When was the last time he was heard from? :huh:

I was only born 2 years earlier, and I know who he is.

My boyfriend was born in 1975, and he didn't know who he was though! :der: :lol:

Oh, and speaking of the boyfriend, I put a note in his lunch this morning that says, "You're the Taylor Hicks in the American Idol of my heart." :nerd: :laugh:

I try to think of different things to write besides, "Have a good day! I love you!" I recently wrote, "Oh, to be the Pepsi in your lunch, so that you could swig from my fountain of sexy," but he just said he had no clue what I was talking about. :giggle:

according to one of the entertainment shows tonite....

Right before Prince was scheduled to be the "surprise guest", Ryan was a bit nervous. At that moment, Prince wasn't even in the building. He made a comment like ... that's the end of the surprises, and then the doors open and out comes Prince. Ryan said after the performance and before he could throw it to commercial, Prince was in his car and gone :ohmy:

And that was the secret that only Kat & Taylor knew - that Prince would be there to perform.

By the way, did anyone else here the atrocious ending to the big Bacharch/Warwick song where Warwick was totally off key :huh: I have it on TiVo and heard it again tonite on the entertainment shows when they were showing highlights (no one mentioned it of course) :shh:

Lila64 said:

Right before Prince was scheduled to be the "surprise guest", Ryan was a bit nervous. At that moment, Prince wasn't even in the building. He made a comment like ... that's the end of the surprises, and then the doors open and out comes Prince. Ryan said after the performance and before he could throw it to commercial, Prince was in his car and gone :ohmy:

Interesting. I was thinking last night that Prince's appearance seemed really random. He sounded like he was about to announce the winnner and Prince just kinda wandered out. :lol:

I really liked his performance though. :reject:

Okay now that the season finale is over and I missed it, and have never seen an episode, I think I'm starting to get interested in this American Idol thing. I blame their use of the Daniel Powter song which I might have gotten addicted to after getting it as a free iTunes download a long time ago and then heard it was being used and then saw a snippet then heard about the Mary J Blige thing and almost cried and this is a run on sentence.

neutral said:

Interesting. I was thinking last night that Prince's appearance seemed really random. He sounded like he was about to announce the winnner and Prince just kinda wandered out. :lol:

I really liked his performance though. :reject:

Prince was :cool:

I thought they were going to be on Larry King last night, maybe tonight

:lol:

hasselhoff-idol.jpg

Yeah, poor Dionne Warwick does not have her voice anymore. That last note was horrendously off-key.

Lila64 said:

Celebs :no:....... Wouldn't it be fun to have a Diva Attitude like Prince for just a day...

They had a real 'Idol' hang up

COLUMBUS, Ohio - There's at least one couple who isn't upset that America's most popular TV show has finished its fifth season.
Dorothy and Jerry Few are tired of getting calls from people who believe they're phoning in a vote for their favorite "American Idol" contestant.

"It's aggravating when it happens," said Dorothy Few, 74, who doesn't watch the Fox show that crowned Taylor Hicks its latest winner Wednesday night. "I hate when somebody calls and hangs up."

During the show's season, from late February through May, viewers call national toll-free numbers to cast their votes for their favorite contestant after Tuesday night performances.

The Fews' phone number closely resembles the toll-free number Fox uses to let viewers vote for their favorite contestants. The voting lines begin 1-866-436-57XX - or 1-866-IDOLSXX - with the last two digits corresponding to a singer.

Ethel Boling, 79, also has a phone number with the 866 prefix and said she had been getting eight to 10 wrong numbers a week from "Idol" fans.

But as a fellow "Idol" watcher, she doesn't mind the misdials.

"It's kind of exciting, really," she said.

More than 63 million callers cast their vote for the finals this week.

can you imagine picking up your phone 10 times a week w/ someone screaming "I vote for Taylor, I vote for Taylor, Soul Patrol !! Whoo !"

:wink:

according to mjsbigblog:

Check out Larry King Live tonight at 9/8c pm. Both Katharine McPhee and Taylor Hicks will be interviewed by guest host Ryan Seacrest.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Short interview with Elliott Yamin from the Richmond Times Dispatch. I thought this was interesting tidbit regarding his duet partner. Those Stevie rumors weren't completely unfounded:

"Initially, they asked Stevie Wonder. He agreed, then something came up and he went on tour. Then, Lenny Kravitz, but that didn't work out. She agreed at the last minute, and I couldn't have been happier."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notable Appearances:

Live with Regis and Kelly:

Tu 5/30: Taylor Hicks
We 5/31: Katharine McPhee
Th 6/1: Elliot Yamin

Th 6/1: Taylor and Katharine on the Today Show performing live from the Plaza

Last edited:
A backstage mole at this week's "American Idol" finals tells me at least one producer was not happy that Taylor Hicks had won.

Hicks' off-screen personality rubbed some "Idol" execs the wrong way.

Meantime, my spy says Andrea Bocelli was so smitten with runner-up Katharine McPhee's voice that he's made it known he wants to take her on his upcoming tour, if the "Idol" producers OK it.

And I hear Clay Aiken was not happy that he had to sing so long with Michael Sandecki, an overzealous Aiken impersonator who turned their duet into a geekfest.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2006/May-26-Fri-2006/news/7625083.html

Justin24 said:

And I hear Clay Aiken was not happy that he had to sing so long with Michael Sandecki, an overzealous Aiken impersonator who turned their duet into a geekfest.

I remember Ryan Seacrest motioning for Michael to go sit down...as if to say, dude...Clay is here...STOP SINGING!!!!!! :lol:

Seacrest said on Larry King Live on Friday night (when he sat in for Larry and had Mcphee, Hicks and Randy Taylor on) that he thought the guy was gonna fall over - he was just trying to support him :lol: And Randy was commenting on Elliott, and the judges were blown away by his performance of 'A House Is Not A Home' on the finale. I think maybe he should have used that song the week before - maybe he would have made the finale with it. Oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom