American Idol 5 - Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taylor Or Kat

• Taylor

Votes: 50 82.0%
  • Katharine

Votes: 11 18.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2democrat said:
Bo should have won last year.

Yes yes yes. But after seeing all the cheesiness tonite (there were rumors Bo was going to show up) I thought Bo should not be back on that stage again. Seeing him on a video performing Dreams by Allman Bros at Springest , I thought there is no way these guys could be his peers. Bo of course is one cool cat and has good vibes with these guys. And yeah I liked Elliot's and MJB's performance too. The best amongst all the cheese there. I actually liked Elliot compared to the new winner.

corianderstem said:
Yeah ... we'd have to sit through 15,463 pages of the "they sold out! / no they didn't!" argument.

Or Bono would be burning in Interference effigy right now. Oh God, it's the apocalypse :rolleyes: And people who don't have an issue with it would be told they aren't REAL FANS. That's the first thing I thought when I saw that.

I only caught glimpses of it because of Lost, but I should have taped on another TV or watched Lost on abc.com

Anyway, I saw Elliott-I liked that better than MJB/U2 :shifty:

I saw some of Kat with Meat Loaf-uh, it was aaright I guess

Saw a brief glimpse of Prince, he is still awesome.

Saw Clay on the news this morning, wtf? :wink:

Saw when Taylor won-I love Taylor precisely because he doesn't fit into the usual AI mold. But he also has to have a voice and I think he does. There's something special about a "dorky" guy coming out on top, I root for that. Best of luck to him. They will both be on Larry King tonight.

Go Taylor!!! I am looking forward to some new, but retro soulful releases. He is a breath of fresh air in a lot of ways!

One was by far the best song sung last night. After some thought, it doesn't really bother me that MJB is singing it (btw, Elliott sounded fantastic!), but I'm beginning to think that it's being way overplayed & could become marginalized.. Since they decided to use the song, would've liked to see Elliott do more of the duet.

I just DO NOT LIKE MJB'S version of that song.. I am sorry but it makes me cringe and wanna run and hide.. :huh: It really freaked me out when they did that song I was hoping it would never come down to that happening on that show (a U2 song being played or sung).. It is ruined now..such a beautiful song that was meant to be understated and poignant now is a overdone, r & b song that will be overplayed to death now in commercials and network promos..ugh.. it makes me sick.. :sick::| :mad:

U2 has already been on Idol, just not the US version. Apparently their songs have been sung on Canadian Idol, and the kid who won Norwegian Idol a few years back sang "Beautiful Day," then came and sang it (and won with it!) on the US-aired "World Idol."

I really don't think it's a big deal at all. :shrug:

Congrats to Soul Patrol Nation

Elliot doing One, that was a lot of fun.

Hasslehoff crying, :sad: AWESOME

Meatloaf - he really scares me now.

Kat, if you aren't busy, give me a call sometime.

ONE is one of U2's ultimate classics so it means a lot to me. And for MJB to overdo the song everytime she sings it just bothers me (and I know that is her style-belt it-scream your lungs out singing). The song has lost some of its meaning now with her rerelease of it.. (and I know she is not completely to blame on this)

As I have said now it's going to be overplayed to death..

And I know this is just my opinion on the matter... maybe when all the hype dies down this song will retain its true meaning to me again..but for now I am disappointed.

Here is an example..already..

TV Upfronts Offer Song-and-Dance Sales Pitches
May 24, 2006

----------

While blatantly begging for advertiser dollars, network execs
showcased their new fall lineups amid showy production numbers, star
power, and posh parties. Here’s our complete report from Upfront Week
festivities.

----------

Ad buyers and television journalists got quite an earful at last
week’s upfront presentations. In between executives touting ratings,
highlighting their reach of key demos, and spouting other industry-
speak, Mary J. Blige sang of ABC as the “One” network; the cast of
Jersey Boys changed “Big Girls Don’t Cry” into “Upfronts, Please Buy”
for CBS; and the Black Eyed Peas performed a new version of “Let’s
Get It Started” customized for the CW. And those were just a few of
the tongue-in-cheek yet blatant appeals from the networks to convince
advertisers to open their wallets. This year the networks were
definitely up front about their purpose.

<snip>

To promote its new marketing tagline as the “one network,” a clip
montage set to the U2 song “One” was capped off by the arrival of
Mary J. Blige on the stage, singing along with Bono’s prerecorded
part. As a follow-up to last year’s Busby Berkeley-style number with
the ladies of Desperate Housewives and creator Marc Cherry, this year
William Shatner of Boston Legal performed a song-and-dance routine
about the “beautiful boys” of ABC. McPherson himself performed
another dance routine, with professional ballroom dancer Edyta
Sliwinska from Dancing With the Stars.

Last edited:
corianderstem said:

I really don't think it's a big deal at all. :shrug:

I don't either. Everyone is entitled to his/her own feelings about it, but for me nothing can change what the song means to me and what it really means. It's kind of up to you to feel that way-no commercial, etc, should have that sort of power over you. Just my feelings about that :)

And Hasselhoff was terrifying

What was with Clay's hair! Carrie Underwood was wonderful! Loved the Puck & Pickler thing. Prince :drool: Meatloaf was kind of scary. :ohmy: I guess I'm old cause I remember all those Dionne Warwick songs being played on the radio. Chris was awesome--I wanted him to win from the beginning when I saw him audition. Taylor is the man!!!!!

U2Fanatic4ever said:
ONE is one of U2's ultimate classics so it means a lot to me. And for MJB to overdo the song everytime she sings it just bothers me (and I know that is her style-belt it-scream your lungs out singing). The song has lost some of its meaning now with her rerelease of it.. (and I know she is not completely to blame on this)

As I have said now it's going to be overplayed to death..

And I know this is just my opinion on the matter... maybe when all the hype dies down this song will retain its true meaning to me again..but for now I am disppointed..
[/B]

I can understand your disappointment. It's a beautiful and powerful song. It almost kind of hurts to see it being used so much, so casually, that there is no way it could remain what it once was...

I agree on One-it has always been U2's "Stairway" to me--kind of sacred in a way. Bono sings it with power but not overpowering like MJB kind of pushes everyone out of the way-I'm singing this song feel I get from her.

Bono's Doll said:
I agree on One-it has always been U2's "Stairway" to me--kind of sacred in a way. Bono sings it with power but not overpowering like MJB kind of pushes everyone out of the way-I'm singing this song feel I get from her.

yep totally agree with you there. It is a sacred song and the way B sings it with such passion but not too much. MJB is too over the top kind of a singer IMO.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Everyone is entitled to his/her own feelings about it, but for me nothing can change what the song means to me and what it really means. It's kind of up to you to feel that way-no commercial, etc, should have that sort of power over you. Just my feelings about that :)

That's a very good way of putting it. When a song means so much to you, it's easy to feel take it personally when something like this happens, but ... well, what you said. :wink:

In the elevator at work this morning I saw a woman who's a HUGE Clay fan, and I said, "Did you see Clay last night?"

She smiled this huge smile and said, "YES! Didn't he look GREAT?!"

:ohmy:

I looooooooooooove kd lang's voice. :drool:

Anyway.

I really wish the show would stop saying stuff like "that's more votes than in any presidential election!"

Yeah. Ryan? When 8 year olds can vote for president, and when people can vote 500 times each for president, then you can make that comparison. Until then? Shut it.

corianderstem said:
I looooooooooooove kd lang's voice. :drool:

Anyway.

I really wish the show would stop saying stuff like "that's more votes than in any presidential election!"

Yeah. Ryan? When 8 year olds can vote for president, and when people can vote 500 times each for president, then you can make that comparison. Until then? Shut it.

i was gonna mention that but I was too lazy to type it. Thanks.

:wink:

was I the only one who had his hands covering his eyes when Meatloaf performed? Is the red hankerchief his trademark or is that a new idea.:yikes:

I just knew there was a reason why I was chilling a split of champagne in my refrigerator. Congratulations Taylor. I knew you had it the moment I saw your sweet gray head at the Vegas auditions. When you said you were auditioning because you wanted your voice heard, I was completely charmed. I want that sentence embroidered on a pillow. And I was thrilled, elated, touched, excited, and moved by your performances throughout the season and through the wonders of the Internet, I was able to discover your very own amazing music.

Was it a total surprise that Taylor won? No. Soul Patrol was out in full force. Yet, I was thrilled when he won!! I jumped up and down, clapped, squealed, and broke open the champagne. For so long, I’ve felt disconnected from popular culture (and I bet many of you have, too). There are so many people who are famous for...what? Do they sing, act, design clothes? I don’t know, but I know their names and their art/product seems to be more like vanity projects than something they have to do body, mind, and soul. Are these people any good at what they do? Does it matter? Actually being good seems to be beside the point. As long as your face and name is in “In Touch” magazine, being a person of substance, skill, and talent really doesn’t matter and that truly bothers me.

And Taylor was so gracious and sweet in winning. I loved how he thanked the fellow contestants and the band and how he shouted out Soul Patrol.

As for the rest of show....

I don’t think I can wrap my brain around on how amazing the show was last night. I ran the gamut of emotions and feelings-excitement, sadness, euphoria, joy, etc. There were so many OMG, OMG, OMG, SQUEEEE!!!! moments. Elliott singing “One” with Mary J. Blige. He sounded fabulous but of course Mary J. Blige had to make the song about her. Can you imagine if U2 came out to sing this with Elliott? Blue Crack would implode. I, personally, would have loved it.

The group medleys, especially the boy medley (OMG Taylor brought out his harmonica) and the Burt Bacharach medley were also wonderful (Elliott sang “A House is Not a Home” beautifully). They reminded me how much I’m looking forward to their concert. August 12 can’t come fast enough.

And OMG, AI actually got Prince to perform. SQUEEEE!!!!!

I thought the Puck and Pickler sketch was kind of cute (I’ll show myself out) and the judges’ montages seriously cracked me up. However, seeing Simon rubbing his man boobs over and over again nearly made me throw up in my mouth.

Apparently Toni Braxton didn’t realize that “In the Ghetto” is about a poverty-stricken kid, but about being “Ghetto Fabulous.” She’s classless.

Did anyone think Right Said Fred when Chris performed with Live? Well, I think it’s pretty cool that Chris got to sing with his musical heroes.

I also like the Dundies Awards. Ooops, I mean Golden Idol Awards. The HoYay between Ace and Chris was smoking hot. But I thought the Broke Note Cowboys did a pretty decent job. And Mamaleh Yamin deserves more than Golden Idol award. I want her to be named “Mother of the Year.” Then I realized that she’s in the same company as Rhonetta &%#@ Johnson. Oh well, mazel tov, Mamaleh Yamin.

The Fake Clay Aiken seriously losing his shit over meeting Clay Aiken (and his Emo hair) was a hoot!

P.S. I read somewhere that Taylor bought the velvet jacket to wear specifically at the finale. Now I feel guilty for saying it looked like he pulled if from the hamper. When I re-watched his performance I as struck on what a great color it was on him.

Golightly Grrl said:

P.S. I read somewhere that Taylor bought the velvet jacket to wear specifically at the finale. Now I feel guilty for saying it looked like he pulled if from the hamper. When I re-watched his performance I as struck on what a great color it was on him.

Actaully it was by Dolce and Gabanna:wink:

On the news in L.A. following the finale, they briefly spoke to Ryan, Taylor, Kat, Chris & Paris... There may have been more, but I could have missed it :mad: Chris was happy for Taylor - said he had been a fan of Taylor all along. And Paris was happy for him as well. Seemed like all the other contestants were really happy for him. Haven't checked the internet for stories today - I'm sure there are many. Can't wait to see the Idol tour live :hyper:

oh yes, and Toni Braxton trying to sex-up 'In The Ghetto'? :huh: :yuck:

~~~~~~~
After Wednesday's show, runner-up McPhee said she hadn't expected to win and didn't have any regrets.

"It would really just be silly to feel bad for me at this point. I got a record deal, a new car," she said backstage.

McPhee said she planned to take a week off to see friends in New York and "go somewhere tropical" before embarking on the "American Idol" tour with Hicks and the other finalists.

As for the future, she said she wanted to model her career after Julia Roberts , and eventually go into movies and back to her musical-theater roots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom