American Idol 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RavenBlue

Blue Crack Addict
Anyone going to be watching this? It will be interesting to see if it's as good as past seasons or whether the same old, same old will be dull.

It starts tonight at 8EST I think, and it's on tomorrow as well.

I really love the beginning episodes. I kind of start to lose interest after that :reject:

Sicy said:
I really love the beginning episodes. I kind of start to lose interest after that :reject:

Yeah - when there is a possibility of someone making a compelte arse of themselves it rocks. When it gets to the point where all the talentless freaks are weeded out all the fun of mocking the contestants is gone.

Isn't that the point of reality TV? To mock and laugh at? I have to wonder if some of these people have a single true friend in the world. Didn't anyone say anything to these people?

Sicy said:

I like the beginning and the end. I could skip the middle. :reject:

I like it at the end when it is the final two:ohmy:

The suspense is intense

:ohmy:

tiny dancer said:
Thanks for the reminder. I forgot all about this show!

Me too, I'm glad this thread was posted :).

I used to like the beginning a lot more before I realized that a lot of the really terrible singers know they are terrible, and are just doing it to get on TV.

But it's still good watching the train wreck :yes:.

and it's two hours tonight :)

I cannot WAIT! :hyper:

American Idol: So bad, it's great!

Is it wrong that sometimes I have a tiny crush on Simon? :reject:

the part between the auditions and the final 12 is BOOOOOOOOOOOORING.... from then on is actually good

...the screaming jumping guy made it through?

Now that's just mean. Paula is being awful by letting him through.
And Simon was really mean to that guy he told to shave and wear a dress. My jaw dropped at that. :|

Can't wait for tomorrow! :hyper:

Simon continually acted like a prick tonight. It's as if he thinks the ridiculous amount of money Fox is paying him gives him clearance to be an asshole to these people, to point and make fun of them like a schoolyard bully, to rip them to shreds and stomp on their spirit.

Paula must be getting a handsome paycheck herself if she's willing to sit next to the man year in and year out.

namkcuR said:
It's as if he thinks the ridiculous amount of money Fox is paying him gives him clearance to be an asshole to these people, to point and make fun of them like a schoolyard bully, to rip them to shreds and stomp on their spirit.

I think that's what they DO pay him for, actually.

He often goes too far. But a simple "appalling" from him is often spot on the mark.

I just find it fascinating that so many people turn out for auditions and just have no self-awareness of how they actually sound. Have they NOT been watching the show for the past 4 years?

Some of the people who get turned down have a decent voice in there and could maybe benefit from some vocal training, or just sing, rather than trying to embellish with 635 extra notes.

But some of them ... seriously, how do they not know how bad they are?

Last edited:
corianderstem said:

I think that's what they DO pay him for, actually.

He often goes too far. But a simple "appalling" from him is often spot on the mark.

I just find it fascinating that so many people turn out for auditions and just have no self-awareness of how they actually sound. Have they NOT been watching the show for the past 4 years?

Some of the people who get turned down have a decent voice in there and could maybe benefit from some vocal training, or just sing, rather than trying to embellish with 635 extra notes.

But some of them ... seriously, how do they not know how bad they are?

Getting paid a lot of money is no excuse for acting like a total and utter prick. Believe me, as a son who has been raised by two classical musicians, I have an especially acute awareness of bad singers, and I know that most of the people on the show tonight were horrible. And yes, I even asked this question out loud during the show - 'What kind of friends do these people have that keep telling them they're good enough for this' - I get all of that. But that still doesn't give Simon the right to behave the way he did towards a lot of them. Think about it, if he was a voice instructor, and he spoke that way to 16-year-old student, and a parent found out about it, do you think that parent would sit still, or raise hell? Some people are just so misled and clueless and frankly, not bright, that they believe they are good when they are in fact horrible. But that kind of cluelessness doesn't make it ok for Simon or anyone else to insult these people to the point where their self-confidence is diminished or gone. If he can't bring himself to be at all compassionate, and he can't think of anything to say that would be funny without being degrading, than he could just say 'No' and nothing else.

U2Girl1978 said:
Some of the contestants were horrible. I couldn't understand a word that came out of that blond chicks mouth! Did you see her mom? WTF! :huh:

Dude, what was WITH her?!
She looked like Paris Hilton and Paris actually seemed like an Einstein compared to her.
All of her sentences were old cliches. She's like...incapable of original thought. :huh:

People seriously need to stop drinking during pregnancy.:uhoh:

namkcuR said:

Getting paid a lot of money is no excuse for acting like a total and utter prick. Believe me, as a son who has been raised by two classical musicians, I have an especially acute awareness of bad singers, and I know that most of the people on the show tonight were horrible. And yes, I even asked this question out loud during the show - 'What kind of friends do these people have that keep telling them they're good enough for this' - I get all of that. But that still doesn't give Simon the right to behave the way he did towards a lot of them. Think about it, if he was a voice instructor, and he spoke that way to 16-year-old student...

:up:

Simon has always acted incredibly jerky but that is why most people watch the show in the first place.
Granted, I make fun of them in the comfort of my own home but in person I wouldn't be that cruel to them. :(

My friend is probably just as bad as them in singing karaoke and I'll sit through it and cheer her on just the same. I'm sure she knows she doesn't have a great voice.
Heh, plus I think if she ever wanted to audition I'd give her some serious :eyebrow:

No, I completely agree with you, namkcuR. But it seems to me that they pay Simon to be a complete and utter prick, because I think a lot of people tune in to see that.

I take back my comment about sometimes having a crush on him, because honestly, I'd forgotten just how shitty he can be. Oh well. A gal's tastes change as she ages. :wink:

And I'd bet there are a good number of people who will set themselves up to be on the show, and try to get in front of the trio of judges, just to be on TV, even though they know Simon's going to be a prick to them.

But hey, that's the culture that reality TV has spawned.

I think they must bus some of those contestants in from the local mental institution. Seriously, are those people for real? I loved the deputee who sung "I Shot the Sheriff", or I should say, just the first verse, over and over and over.

And I'm pretty sure Paula is a total idiot.

PlaTheGreat said:
My friend is probably just as bad as them in singing karaoke and I'll sit through it and cheer her on just the same. I'm sure she knows she doesn't have a great voice.

Yeah, thank goodness some people at least can differentiate between "Hey, I can do karaoke" and "I'm the next American Idol!!!"

U2Girl1978 said:
What about the idiot with the pigtails and that dress? I mean, seriously! Do they really think that is the way to get on American Idol? :tsk:

I think the majority of that stuff is just a ploy to get them on TV. Hopefully at least half the people on that show realize that they will never be an Idol. Those that don't run away crying that is. :huh:

Well, he got on TV, didn't he? :wink:

I was just thinking ... every season I end up having the same conversations about the show with people. There's something interesting and deeply philosophical to be said about that, but I'm too tired (okay, lazy) to figure it out.

Same shit, different year, maybe?

and yet I keep watching. Maybe it's the pop star wannabe deep inside me that likes to watch.

Long live Kelly Clarkson, best American Idol EVAH!!!! :rockon:

PlaTheGreat said:

I think the majority of that stuff is just a ploy to get them on TV. Hopefully at least half the people on that show realize that they will never be an Idol. Those that don't run away crying that is. :huh:

Did you see those two girls that looked like they were ready to brawl? :lol:

Good god, my grammar is really shit tonight. :tsk:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom