American Idol 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How old did they say Taylor was? Does anyone remeber? Also what are the age requirments for American Idol?
If this has already been discussed I apologize.... I was to lazy to go to the begining of the thread.:wink:

I can't recall - I think he was 20-something. The oldest contestant I remember from last night might have been 28 - perhaps that's the age limit? :shrug:

I'm on the Taylor Hicks love train. Here is a link to his music http://www.wbhm.org/Tapestry/bands/TaylorHicks.html.
I really enjoyed it and I can totally see myself buying one of his CDs. He can write great songs and cover a song like it's his own. And maybe it's because I'm getting close to 40 and I adore Adam Clayton, Anderson Cooper, and George Clooney, but I love his gray hair.

Bratz Doll Mecca can sing, but something about her seems so affected. The spit curl, cap, and jewel under her eye was just too much.

I liked Pepi the Gondolier guy. Too bad he didn't get through. He handled it well, though.

I liked Redneck black chick. She seems fun, but yes, a little Vonzell-lite.

The Asian twins were good, but they seemed like little automatons.

Bobbi the psychi looks like she should be protesting abortion clinics.

Re: Princess Not!Aretha. If Aretha Franklin had a grave, she'd be rolling in it.

I *loved* Hicks. I'm really rooting for him.
I felt so bad when Pepi didn't make it through. He was pretty good.
But then again, how many other hundreds of guys who sing just like him have been passed on. You just really have to stand out, I suppose.

The age limit used to be 26 but they upped it to 28 last year. That's why Bo Bice finally auditioned.

Ditto:drool:
I really enjoyed it and I can totally see myself buying one of his CDs. He can write great songs and cover a song like it's his own. And maybe it's because I'm getting close to 40 and I adore Adam Clayton, Anderson Cooper, and George Clooney, but I love his gray hair.

BTW- thanks Lila:wink:

RavenBlue said:
I liked that rocker dood as well. Nice to see some more rockers making it :up:

After the rather controversial season 4 finale, I have grown cynical at how the winner is really chosen.

My 13-yr old was watching the first few episodes of season 5 and of course it's what might as well be called the looneys' audition. Son got so pissed after all those horrid performances and then he turned to me with a smirk on his face "AArrggh! can't they find someone like Bo?" Hah!

The only way to watch the show and remain fully sane is to watch it with a ginormous dose of cynicism.

desire25 said:

After the rather controversial season 4 finale, I have grown cynical at how the winner is really chosen.

How do you mean?

Carrie beat Bo Bice rather soundly.

And really, both Carrie and Bo got contracts and both are doing pretty well.

I haven't really seen anyone that really stands out to me yet, but the Hollywood rounds start tomorrow.. maybe someone will shine through.

The Hollywood bits are the best parts of this show, I think. I like seeing who works well with others, who cracks under the pressure, who can really do it.

I love the arrogant singers who refuse to practice with their groups and end up making a complete ass of themselves during the performance for the judges. Ahhh, that's good karma.

corianderstem said:
The Hollywood bits are the best parts of this show, I think. I like seeing who works well with others, who cracks under the pressure, who can really do it.

I love the arrogant singers who refuse to practice with their groups and end up making a complete ass of themselves during the performance for the judges. Ahhh, that's good karma.

:yes:.

Angela

Someone walked in front of the TV set at a point where I think I saw a Vertigo shirt in Boston. :love: Can anyone confirm this?

I thought everyone tonight was :|

Didn't notice anything of the sort myself, no...but that'd be cool if that happened :).

The Clay Aiken wannabe frightened me :| :huh: :crack:. Although his announcement of "I'm nervous as hell and have to pee" did give me some amusement :p. Aside from that, though...ay, yi, yi...

The "All-American girl" who auditioned wasn't bad, but seeing how everything in her life just seemed so...perfect...was a bit weird. I dunno. Hm.

Will be looking forward to the next step for people in this show, it should be interesting.

Angela

wasn't all that interesting tonite. Will have to tivo it tomorrow, since it's GRAMMY TIME
award.gif

Moonlit_Angel said:
The "All-American girl" who auditioned wasn't bad, but seeing how everything in her life just seemed so...perfect...was a bit weird. I dunno. Hm.

[/B]

I felt the same way about her. I actually kind of cheered when Simon told her "no". :reject:

Onwards to Hollywood we go.

I liked the girl who sang like Doris Day, but oh well. She said she'd try again, maybe she'll get through next year.

Well, that was another okay episode. I love the little cowboy guy who had never seen the ocean or anything. He's pretty cool.

The twins... who aren't in the competition anymore because of the law... are so annoying aren't they?

RavenBlue said:
I love the little cowboy guy who had never seen the ocean or anything. He's pretty cool.

Heh, he's from my state, so I've been rooting for him a bit :D.

Originally posted by RavenBlue
The twins... who aren't in the competition anymore because of the law... are so annoying aren't they?

I've yet to watch Wednesday's episode, but my sister was talking about a couple of annoying twins-those must've been the ones she was referring to. But annoying people sometimes tend to be in abundance on these types of shows, so...

Angela

I'm so happy "Mr. Silver" as I've called him is still in the competition! I'm crossing my fingers for him tomorrow.
Also, the twins? How fucking annoying! :mad:
Simon should have never let them back into the competition. At least we know they won't be winning Idol, or coming back ever again either. :wink:

"Mr. Silver" I believe, is Taylor. I'm glad he's in too. He's very interesting! Too bad they didn't show his group singing. I felt bad for the little cowboy dude. I didn't think he'd make the show, but I'm glad he got to at least make it to Hollywood and live a little. Back to singing to the pet turkey I guess. And I'm glad a lot of the ones that made it in so far did. Except for those annoying twins. I thought for sure they were gonna get cut after they let them back into the competition. I certainly don't think out of the 44 left that they will make the top 24. I think the panel probably appeased them for now. They'll cut them both later. More drama for tomorrow's episode...

Those twins should consider themselves quite lucky they're continuing on-how obnoxious were they? When the one wanted to resign from the competition 'cause he thought his brother hadn't gotten through, classic case of "open mouth, insert foot". I really hope they tone down their attitudes.

Also, while I can certainly understand people forgetting lyrics because of sheer nervousness (I'd probably do the same )...it really amazed me how so many people could botch up "I Can't Help Myself" so badly. Was almost as if they'd never heard the song before.

Shame the guy from Wyoming didn't continue on, but his performance wasn't good, so it's understandable. Still, he seemed like a nice kid, would've been cool to see him last a bit longer. At least he handled the cut well.

Angela

I found it hard to believe that they let the twins back in as they were so annoying and rude. But whatever.

I loved the smirk on Simons face when that girl sang "Beat my bare behind". The lyric alone made me laugh, but when they showed Simon cracking up, I lost it.

I guess next week Tuesday and Wednesday will both be two hour shows with Thursday being a one hour result show.

It's going to be on the same time as Survivor.. grr. Thank goodness for time-shifting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom