American Idol 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
people.com

Kelly Clarkson won the first American Idol title in 2002, but she isn't going over well with the producers – and at least one of the judges – right now.

The FOX show, which kicked off its fifth season on Tuesday, is having trouble reaching a financial agreement with Clarkson to allow contestants to sing her songs, according to its producers.

"We get requests (for Kelly's songs) all the time and we turn things down," a rep for Clarkson's label tells PEOPLE. "It’s not just an Idol thing."

But tart-tongued judge Simon Cowell disagrees. "It sounds to me that someone is being difficult and I don't like that."

Clarkson is up for two Grammy awards next month. Still, "No matter how talented Kelly Clarkson is, she would not be in the position she's in now without winning this show," says Cowell. "It's a shame."

Adds Cowell, "If she refuses to give songs to be used on the show, it's like saying to every person who voted for you, 'you know what? Thank you. I'm not interested in you anymore.'"

Idol producer Nigel Lythgoe says the show still hopes to come to terms with Clarkson's reps. And Clarkson's manager Jeff Rabhan says she would never snub the show that launched her career.

"We are negotiating for a fair-market value," says Rabhan. "Nobody is more proud of where she comes from than Kelly Clarkson."

You know who I really liked? That Kurt Nilsen guy who won the "World Idol" with his rousing rendition of "Beautiful Day." I bought his album and actually quite liked it.

Interesting about Kelly - someone last night sang a bit of Since You've Been Gone (greatest pop song EVAH!!) ... you'd think if they didn't have the rights to it, it wouldn't have gotten any air time.

I think there is a rocker dude tonite :rockon: - the one they were showing in the previews last night, bald-ish guy and wasn't he in a band?

I wonder how many more cities some of the same contestants will show up in, like the clueless 16-year old with more make-up caked on than than than...______________
oh I dunno - you fill in the blank, LOL. And her mother too - what a pair :tsk:

And at least the young crooner guy was good. I never liked John Stewart (red-head crooner) from last season. He always bugged the crap out of me :shrug:

No idea if they pay their own way to get to Hollywood or not. Remember last season (or 2 ago) where this black woman sold everything she had (wedding ring too) to get to the audition (she was married to a white man and they had a kid). You really felt for her, but in the end, she either didn't make it past Hollywood or didn't make it to Hollywood, I can't remember...

Oh, that John Stewart guy was HORRID. I was appalled he made it so far. That's what happens when people vote for someone just because you want to take him home and take care of him.

Gack.

corianderstem said:
Oh, that John Stewart guy was HORRID. I was appalled he made it so far. That's what happens when people vote for someone just because you want to take him home and take care of him.

Gack.

remember the season before where they kept voting for the Hawaii girl - she was ok, but not as talented as some of the other African American women that year :tsk:

Okay, trashy tan girl is going to be on Fox Chicago news tonight talking about how devastated she was by her audition. :rolleyes: Oh, and of course she claims she really can sing. :| riiiiiiiiiiight.

Zachary was definitely odd. :huh: :huh:

Too confused to function.
I don't see why people confuse me for a girl!

-Maybe because of the high pitched voice, the haircut, the girly clothes, the HIGH HEELS?

There are some weird ass folk out there.

as for the twins or whoever:
9.gif

The show starts in 5 minutes here - have it scheduled for Tivo too, since my daughter had a meeting to go to. Off to watch!

Lila64 said:

remember the season before where they kept voting for the Hawaii girl - she was ok, but not as talented as some of the other African American women that year :tsk:

Jasmine. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate. :madspit:

Between her and Carmen the bleating goat girl from the second season, it's a wonder my brains haven't melted out of my ears.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Uh oh the twins that made it to Hollywood are in trouble. I am waiting for the report on the news. Apparently one of them is behind bars. :ohmy:

It wouldn't be American Idol without at least one arrest or a police record coming to light. :wink:

Oh, and Zachary, sweetheart? They didn't take you because you're not a good singer, not because America is rampant with prejudice.

Here's your ticket for the clue train. Get on board!

Zachary was...wow. I'm...still scratching my head over that one. Er...

Yeah. Anywho, strange news regarding those twins, too-that's really stupid. And a shame.

That guy from Wyoming was interesting (okay, just want to say this, though: 4 people (especially if they're all one family) does NOT a town make! Ergh!). He seemed like a sweet kid, though...kinda cool to see a guy from my state go through, good luck to him.

Those "idea" guys were...yeesh. Especially the one who was trying to say "entrepreneur". Oooh, boy...*Shakes head*. And I cannot believe they let that crazy guy through.

Still loving seeing all the temper tantrums those who don't make it through throw-yeah, look up the word "delusional" in the dictionary and their pictures would be there. I understand what some people are saying about Simon, but at the same time-okay, if these people were just bad singers, but still pleasant enough people, that'd be one thing. I could deal with that, and would feel bad for them not getting through and everything, and would want people to be nice in their comments to them.

But no, practically almost every person who is a bad singer is also incredibly obnoxious and has an ego the size of Texas on them, too. And I think, in that case, they deserve to get a dose of reality, and I'm guessing that's what Simon attacks more than anything else, the attitudes of these people who think they are God's gift to the music industry when they're not even close. If that's the case, then I personally have no problem with Simon being the way he is towards some of these people.

On a more pleasant note, that 16 year old girl, that Lisa from California-she was good. Wow. And those twins that sang to Paula had some nice harmonies going at the end of their performance :yes: (it is strange, though, how many twins have appeared on this show throughout the years).

Very interesting start so far, will, as always, be curious to see how things progress this season.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom