American Idol 5 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2006, 10:29 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:56 PM
the part between the auditions and the final 12 is BOOOOOOOOOOOORING.... from then on is actually good

Old 01-17-2006, 10:33 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

...the screaming jumping guy made it through?

Now that's just mean. Paula is being awful by letting him through.
And Simon was really mean to that guy he told to shave and wear a dress. My jaw dropped at that.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Old 01-17-2006, 10:39 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:56 PM
Simon continually acted like a prick tonight. It's as if he thinks the ridiculous amount of money Fox is paying him gives him clearance to be an asshole to these people, to point and make fun of them like a schoolyard bully, to rip them to shreds and stomp on their spirit.

Paula must be getting a handsome paycheck herself if she's willing to sit next to the man year in and year out.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:39 PM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
It's as if he thinks the ridiculous amount of money Fox is paying him gives him clearance to be an asshole to these people, to point and make fun of them like a schoolyard bully, to rip them to shreds and stomp on their spirit.
I think that's what they DO pay him for, actually.

He often goes too far. But a simple "appalling" from him is often spot on the mark.

I just find it fascinating that so many people turn out for auditions and just have no self-awareness of how they actually sound. Have they NOT been watching the show for the past 4 years?

Some of the people who get turned down have a decent voice in there and could maybe benefit from some vocal training, or just sing, rather than trying to embellish with 635 extra notes.

But some of them ... seriously, how do they not know how bad they are?
Old 01-17-2006, 11:41 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Some of the contestants were horrible. I couldn't understand a word that came out of that blond chicks mouth! Did you see her mom? WTF!
Old 01-17-2006, 11:52 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem

I think that's what they DO pay him for, actually.

He often goes too far. But a simple "appalling" from him is often spot on the mark.

I just find it fascinating that so many people turn out for auditions and just have no self-awareness of how they actually sound. Have they NOT been watching the show for the past 4 years?

Some of the people who get turned down have a decent voice in there and could maybe benefit from some vocal training, or just sing, rather than trying to embellish with 635 extra notes.

But some of them ... seriously, how do they not know how bad they are?
Getting paid a lot of money is no excuse for acting like a total and utter prick. Believe me, as a son who has been raised by two classical musicians, I have an especially acute awareness of bad singers, and I know that most of the people on the show tonight were horrible. And yes, I even asked this question out loud during the show - 'What kind of friends do these people have that keep telling them they're good enough for this' - I get all of that. But that still doesn't give Simon the right to behave the way he did towards a lot of them. Think about it, if he was a voice instructor, and he spoke that way to 16-year-old student, and a parent found out about it, do you think that parent would sit still, or raise hell? Some people are just so misled and clueless and frankly, not bright, that they believe they are good when they are in fact horrible. But that kind of cluelessness doesn't make it ok for Simon or anyone else to insult these people to the point where their self-confidence is diminished or gone. If he can't bring himself to be at all compassionate, and he can't think of anything to say that would be funny without being degrading, than he could just say 'No' and nothing else.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:54 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl1978
Some of the contestants were horrible. I couldn't understand a word that came out of that blond chicks mouth! Did you see her mom? WTF!
Dude, what was WITH her?!
She looked like Paris Hilton and Paris actually seemed like an Einstein compared to her.
All of her sentences were old cliches. She's like...incapable of original thought.

People seriously need to stop drinking during pregnancy.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:56 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

Getting paid a lot of money is no excuse for acting like a total and utter prick. Believe me, as a son who has been raised by two classical musicians, I have an especially acute awareness of bad singers, and I know that most of the people on the show tonight were horrible. And yes, I even asked this question out loud during the show - 'What kind of friends do these people have that keep telling them they're good enough for this' - I get all of that. But that still doesn't give Simon the right to behave the way he did towards a lot of them. Think about it, if he was a voice instructor, and he spoke that way to 16-year-old student...

Simon has always acted incredibly jerky but that is why most people watch the show in the first place.
Granted, I make fun of them in the comfort of my own home but in person I wouldn't be that cruel to them.

My friend is probably just as bad as them in singing karaoke and I'll sit through it and cheer her on just the same. I'm sure she knows she doesn't have a great voice.
Heh, plus I think if she ever wanted to audition I'd give her some serious
Old 01-17-2006, 11:58 PM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

No, I completely agree with you, namkcuR. But it seems to me that they pay Simon to be a complete and utter prick, because I think a lot of people tune in to see that.

I take back my comment about sometimes having a crush on him, because honestly, I'd forgotten just how shitty he can be. Oh well. A gal's tastes change as she ages.

And I'd bet there are a good number of people who will set themselves up to be on the show, and try to get in front of the trio of judges, just to be on TV, even though they know Simon's going to be a prick to them.

But hey, that's the culture that reality TV has spawned.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:58 PM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 03:56 PM
I think they must bus some of those contestants in from the local mental institution. Seriously, are those people for real? I loved the deputee who sung "I Shot the Sheriff", or I should say, just the first verse, over and over and over.

And I'm pretty sure Paula is a total idiot.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:03 AM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat
My friend is probably just as bad as them in singing karaoke and I'll sit through it and cheer her on just the same. I'm sure she knows she doesn't have a great voice.
Yeah, thank goodness some people at least can differentiate between "Hey, I can do karaoke" and "I'm the next American Idol!!!"
Old 01-18-2006, 12:10 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

What about the idiot with the pigtails and that dress? I mean, seriously! Do they really think that is the way to get on American Idol?
Old 01-18-2006, 12:14 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl1978
What about the idiot with the pigtails and that dress? I mean, seriously! Do they really think that is the way to get on American Idol?
I think the majority of that stuff is just a ploy to get them on TV. Hopefully at least half the people on that show realize that they will never be an Idol. Those that don't run away crying that is.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:16 AM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor

Well, he got on TV, didn't he?

I was just thinking ... every season I end up having the same conversations about the show with people. There's something interesting and deeply philosophical to be said about that, but I'm too tired (okay, lazy) to figure it out.

Same shit, different year, maybe?

and yet I keep watching. Maybe it's the pop star wannabe deep inside me that likes to watch.

Long live Kelly Clarkson, best American Idol EVAH!!!!
Old 01-18-2006, 12:16 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat

I think the majority of that stuff is just a ploy to get them on TV. Hopefully at least half the people on that show realize that they will never be an Idol. Those that don't run away crying that is.
Did you see those two girls that looked like they were ready to brawl?

Good god, my grammar is really shit tonight.