American Idol 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this is the first American Idol I've seen this season (I'm not so big into it) and I only saw 5 of the performances, but...

That Kellie Pickler girl is like a carbon copy of my cousin. Seriously, the accent, the maneurisms, the excessively bubbly personality, they're eerily identical! :ohmy:

This episode was a waste of my time, except for Pickler. Everyone was picking these over-the-top deep slow songs that didn't suit them or the competetion in general. And then there was the country from people who have no business singing country.
Awful awful awful.

the girls sound the same to me

the judges said earlier that the winner of this competition will be the one who can separate themselves from the rest of the pack...show some uniqueness

^Yeah. Nobody is REALLY standing out. May be too early for any one to break out yet. But then again, maybe the judges were too intent on finding a lot of bloopers instead of talent?? What is on tonight - the guys singing/or girls elimination?

Well, I can't believe I actually taped that trainwreck and then stayed up late too watch it. Blandest bland that ever blanded.

Here is my run down:

1. Katharine - All in Love is Fair (Stevie Wonder) – Color me unimpressed. Song choice didn’t quite click with me. There were some rough patches. And did all of Ace Young’s eye shagging knock her up? She looked pregnant in that get up. Still, I like her.

2. Kinnik - Here for the Party (Gretchen Wilson): Simon said it best when he called it a “Theme Park Performance.” I agree. She had a lot of fun with the song, but she’s too elegant for a song like this.

3. Lisa - Who's Lovin' You (Michael Jackson and others): It was cute how her folks sang along with the song. However, I don’t think the song was right for her. It was too old.

4. Melissa - Why Haven't I Heard From You (Reba McIntyre): I like smokey, husky voices, but her voice wasn’t quite right for this song. She needs a more commanding voice and she just doesn’t have one. Very boring. Is her mother Patsy Stone?

5. Heather - Hero (Mariah Carey): She just seemed to be going through the motions with this song. Granted this song has never done it for me-very middle school graduation song, if you ask me. Heather just phoned it in, but she did give us a glory note at the end.

6. Brenna - Last Dance (Donna Summer): This song was my jam when I was a roller skating grade schooler in 1979, (half of Interference, "Wow, I wasn't even born yet!) but of course, Brenna gives us drunk karaoke night. If Donna Summer had a grave, she’d be rolling in it.

7. Paris - Wind Beneath My Wings (Bette Midler): WTF was she wearing? Is she going to show up in one of Bea Arthur’s pantsuits from “Maude” next week? She has a great voice and I continue to be a fan, but she needs to sing something more youthful. “Wind Beneath My Wings” is so tired.

8. Ayla - I Want You to Need Me (Celine Dion): Pretty voice, but not a slam dunk (get it, basketball reference? ::crickets chirping::).

9. Kellie - Something to Talk about (Bonnie Raitt): I grew up in a small town but I knew what a spinach salad and calamari were. But then again, I went to school. I don’t find her hick act charming; I find it tiresome. She does nothing for me.

10. Mandisa - Cry (Faith Hill): Love her! She really can sing anything, can’t she? She really takes chances with songs and makes them her own. I’d love to see her try U2’s “One”, but mostly so she can do “dog jaw” to Bono. Tee hee. Mandisa gave the best performance of the night.

My faves: Mandisa and Paris
Get off my TV now!: Brenna and Kellie

Yea, I'm not impressed with the girls much either.

I like Mandisa, I think she has a great all around personality and a good voice to boot.

I like Kellie, she's had a hard life I would love to see her do well.. but her voice is not as strong as others.

Has anyone ever done a U2 song on Idol? I can't remember one.

I'd say it's probably Brenna and Melissa getting their tickets home tomorrow.

Now on to the guys tonight!

These were the best of the best of the girls during the nationwide talent search? Ouch.

Katharine – Boring. Afterwards, she was nervous and biting her lip. Top six but too much of a little kid.

Kinnik – Nice girl but still looks like she’s stepped right out of La Cage aux Folles. Or maybe it's a Jar Jar Binks thing. Don't know why people think that she’s elegant or classy. She’ll go home next week.

Lisa – Good but if Paula says, “You’re a star”, one more time, there's going to be some puking going on. Young but bland. Final six.

Melissa – Best performance of the night. Great voice and moved well on stage. Personality. Top six.

Heather – Snooze. You’ve stayed a week too long. So long, farewell, bye bye. Look under the bed at the hotel and make sure you don’t forget anything when you go home. Slip in the video and watch how bad you were a few times.

Brenna – Horrible. She’s doubting herself now. Actually felt bad for the girl…she’s lost whatever edge she had.

Paris – This little toad is starting to annoy me. She's a tad more than a little self-absorbed. Don’t want to hear her talk anymore. She can sing but she’s not getting a spot in the top six.

Ayla – Good job. And top six if she's lucky to get past the toad girl.

Kellie – Doesn’t have the best voice but there is a certain edge that could carry her over. And she’s starting to sell it. She was hot when she shook her hair into her face. Top six.

Mandisa – Great, great voice and she's sweet. I love her smile but still old and a little boring. Top six.

Yeah, I've never understood why girls during these shows always insist on doing these slow blah songs. Jazz it up a bit, do some fun, upbeat songs, some good rocking tunes. And if you wish to do a slow song, fine, but pick a good one at least...

Liked the basketball joke, Golightly Grrl :D.

I agreed with Simon's comments about the two teenage girls picking songs that fit their ages more. They can sing, no doubt about that, but yeah, it wouldn't hurt to pick something that fits them better. Not saying they have to grab whatever the latest, hottest song is (as that wouldn't help either, would just make them seem like another flash in the pan), but something more recent wouldn't hurt. I also think his assessment of Ayla made sense, too.

Angela

GolightlyGrrl said:
6. Brenna - Last Dance (Donna Summer): This song was my jam when I was a roller skating grade schooler in 1979, (half of Interference, "Wow, I wasn't even born yet!) but of course, Brenna gives us drunk karaoke night. If Donna Summer had a grave, she’d be rolling in it.

you guys crack me up! :lmao:

Chris rocked tonight :rockon:

still liked Taylor (a little pitchy), Elliot and Ace, but most had bad song choices. Gideon was better this week, Kevin was having fun - was hoping he'd do better on Grapevine :shrug:

going home... Sway, David, Will...Bucky

deep said:

i think it was two seasons back

i was channel surfing and I caught a guy singing "beautiful day".

Wasn't that one "World Idol"--wasn't it the winner who sang it to go one and win?

Chris was awesome!! I am saying he wins it all:yes: :yes: :yes:

Kurt Nilsen, man. That whole "World Idol" thing was kind of lame, but I really dug him. I found his CD online and was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it.

I don't have much to say about the guys tonight, but ...

Dear Taylor Hicks:

Every time you lean back from the mike and give a "spontaneous" WHOO! or a HEY!, an angel dies. Violently. By my count, you slaughtered 5 angels and maimed another 3 or 4 after you stopped singing.

Sincerely, A Gal Who Used To Be On Your Train, But Is No Longer, Thanks To You Riding Her Last Nerve

PS - please give these two words to David Radford: Schtick. Old.

corianderstem said:

Dear Taylor Hicks:

Every time you lean back from the mike and give a "spontaneous" WHOO! or a HEY!, an angel dies. Violently. By my count, you slaughtered 5 angels and maimed another 3 or 4 after you stopped singing.

Sincerely, A Gal Who Used To Be On Your Train, But Is No Longer, Thanks To You Riding Her Last Nerve

:lol:

I think people are jumping off that train in droves after tonight's show!

:down:WHOO:down:

He's a good singer, and he DOES have a lot of soul in his voice, but all the little ticks and Ray Charles/Joe Cocker-isms make him come across as really fake.

He needs to just SING, for pete's sake.

Yes, as long as he's just singing, he's great. I was really pulling for him during auditions and Hollywood week.

I think I started losing the love for him when he did the harmonica thing when he walked in at the final cut. He's really lays it on thick and tonight he was just plain annoying.

Westport said:
Paris – This little toad is starting to annoy me. She's a tad more than a little self-absorbed. Don’t want to hear her talk anymore. She can sing but she’s not getting a spot in the top six.

She'll be in the top six. It would be a crime for her not to be.

corianderstem said:
Dear Taylor Hicks:

PS - please give these two words to David Radford: Schtick. Old.

:lmao: So Funny! But, you know the sad thing was that Taylor was not the worst performance. That either goes to David, Chicken Little guy, Bucky, or the guy that looks like Bobby Brady.

I agree with ljclary, at this point, I think Chris will win the season.

^Pla - Taylor has got a lot of soul. I think if he develops his act, he'll do well.

Last edited:
I like Taylor as well, but come on !! stop w/ the whooos and stand straight for once, stop leaning to one side or another like a freak.

Why are the patronizing the nerdy guy (Kevin?)? They're calling him "gangsta" and a "ladies man" etc. It's funny, but they didn't stop, I felt like they were making fun of him.

I thought Gedeon was great !

Back
Top Bottom