America to Have Monopoly Money - CNN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://money.cnn.com/2003/03/05/news/money/index.htm

The (new) color of money

Unveiling of the new $20 -- an effort to thwart counterfeiters -- is set for March 27.
By Jonah Freedman, CNN/Money contributing writer

20_BILL_NEW_COLORS.JPG

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - American cash will get a colorful facelift in three weeks, USA Today reports.

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing will unveil a new $20 bill that will introduce a predominant but subtle color into the background, marking the first time in modern history that a bill will feature a color other than green.

According to the report, other changes will include new images of Andrew Jackson and the White House, as well as other adjustments that are being kept secret. The official unveiling will take place on March 27, with the new bill entering circulation in the fall.

The Secret Service has said that a large portion of counterfeit money in circulation is computer-generated, and the new features will help curb a steady rise in fake cash. The last redesign of American currency was in 1996, when a new $100 bill was introduced with new features to thwart counterfeiters. A new $50 came in 1997, followed by the $20 in 1998 and new $5 and $10 notes in 2000.

New features on those notes included color-shifting ink, which appeared black from one angle and green from another; a watermark, visible only when holding the bill up to the light; and a security strip that ran vertically through the bill. USA Today reports these features also will be included on the new redesigned bills.

I almost freaked when I saw this, but it is just a dumb image. If you read the text they say they are simply going to use a system that when you turn the bill one way it looks black, turn it another and it looks green. Not the colors they show in that dumb picture...

i did a counterfeiting story in the paper last week after a detection class. it was informative, and with canadian money anyway, if you set the suspect bill under a black light it should glow quite brightly if its fake.

he said america's currency has been a lot harder to duplicate in the past while.

Actually, the color shifting ink is used on the current redesign of the bills (the article is poorly written - the reference to "those notes" was to the current redesign). The picture is not representative of the planned notes.

HAHAHAHA... now it looks as worthless as Canadian money...

It'd be nice with US money if it was easier to tell the difference between different denominations - having colours would help...

Of course I only say this cos I'm a dumbass and when I was in the US I kept trying to give people 10s or 20s instead of 1s....:reject:

I like Australian money. It's very bright and cheerful and kind of plasticy

For a second I thought this thread was actually implying that Americans were going to use Monopoly money. With the little top hat guy in the corner (surely modelled on Andrew Carnegie) and all.

I now see that I was mistaken.

Australian money is cheap and cheery. I think the stuff I print illegally at home is much more tasteful, frankly.

Singapore has notes in green, purple, and orange ($5, $2, $10) as well as the usually blueish hue ($50 and above).

But yea, I was thinking actual Monopoly money was being flooded in by counterfeiters or something. That'd be something.

Australian money IS plastic lol. Plastic polymer notes are meant to be one of the hardest to reproduce. Especially as we have those pretty holograms.

I never understood before how Americans could glance at a note and know what it was without a close examination. Didn't any of you ever get confused? They currently all look the same!

Back
Top Bottom