Amelie From Montmarte (french film)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foray

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I?m watching this fantastic french film for the 3rd time: ?Amelie From Montmarte?. It?s about a young lady called Amelie who is eccentric and lives in her own world. One of her pastimes is sitting on the roof and looking at the Paris skyline to guess how many orgasms are happening at the moment ("fifteen"). Something momentous happens and she realises that she would live a better life if she reached out to people more. So, throughout the film, she makes up schemes to bring people together and make them happier individuals, but they don?t know it?s all her doing. She basically becomes a saint in secret. At the same time, she is longing for true love...

The way the story is told is very creative, funny and different ? I feel it?s more classy/bizarre than Ally McBeal. Furthermore, I am so in love with the soundtrack.

Anyone else seen this film? Do you watch much foreign films?

foray

------------------
the only thing I know is that I know nothing

Originally posted by foray:

I?m watching this fantastic french film for the 3rd time: ?Amelie From Montmarte?. It?s about a young lady called Amelie who is eccentric and lives in her own world. One of her pastimes is sitting on the roof and looking at the Paris skyline to guess how many orgasms are happening at the moment ("fifteen"). Something momentous happens and she realises that she would live a better life if she reached out to people more. So, throughout the film, she makes up schemes to bring people together and make them happier individuals, but they don?t know it?s all her doing. She basically becomes a saint in secret. At the same time, she is longing for true love...

The way the story is told is very creative, funny and different ? I feel it?s more classy/bizarre than Ally McBeal. Furthermore, I am so in love with the soundtrack.

Anyone else seen this film? Do you watch much foreign films?

foray

Foray, this film sounds really interesting, and though I watch an awful lot of foreign films, I honestly never seen this one. Must watch out for it.

I catched a really creepy Dutch film last night called The 6.10 Train, about this guy who's facing his last shot at a decent job, going for an interview as an art curator. He follows and kidnaps the one other shortlisted applicant for the job, and locks him in the basement of his girlfriend's (dead) grandfather's country cottage. Thus man B disappears off the face of the earth, and Man A gets the job. Fast-forward three years, and man B pops up applying for a job as Man A's assistant at the museum. There are a few hint which begin to tip Man B off that Man A was the one who screwed up his life three years ago, and plus man B becomes involved with a close friend of Man A's wife. From there on in, it gets thoroughly paranoid and deranged. And as someone who spent a year unemployed after university, I can actually relate to the main protagonist in a creepy kind of way...

Some other favourites are:

Taxi (Spanish)
The Mediocrities (German)
Betty Blue (French, maybe)
Fire (Title may be incorrect - Indian)

Wow someone actually watched Fire. It's very well done and very pretty to look at (the cinematography). Have you seen the trilogy (Water and Earth). I caught Earth but it wasn't as captivating as Fire.

foray

Wow someone actually watched Fire. It's very well done and very pretty to look at (the cinematography). Have you seen the trilogy (Water and Earth). I caught Earth but it wasn't as captivating as Fire.

foray

I'll confess my ignorance, I did not know it was part of a trilogy. This is the same 'Fire' that is about a city girl living in unhappiness with her boyfriend/husband and his strict family, decrepit grandmother, religious fanatic father etc? It is visually stunning.

Yep, the very same Fire by Deepa Mehta. Earth was the next one, but this time it is not in English but in her native tongue Hindi. It's about the Partition in India and revolves around a nanny (same girl who plays the younger sister-in-law in Fire) who falls in love with an ice-cream man... I am not sure if Water was released because last I heard, Deepa Mehta was banned from filming it in India. People were burning effigys of her in the streets!

foray

[This message has been edited by foray (edited 01-12-2002).]

I am not sure if Water was released because last I heard, Deepa Mehta was banned from filming it in India. People were burning effigys of her in the streets!

foray

[This message has been edited by foray (edited 01-12-2002).]

God! Still, unlikely she could have finished filming anywhere else...

I LOVE that film!!! The best one I saw in 2001. It is so...dreamish. Amelie from Montmartre? The original title is like "The fabulous world of Amelie". It would sound better...but that has nothing to do with the wonderful film.

------------------
I let the melody shine
Let it cleanse my mind
I feel free now

I went to see that film about a month ago, it was great, it was really funny. I watched it because im doing French and Spanish for a-level, i felt like an idiot at the cinema tho cus everyone else was about 60 and im 16, i felt so young
smile.gif

I loved "todo sobre mi madre" which is a Spanish film produced by Pedro Almardarvez (i dunno how to spell his surname) and i enjoyed "La belle epoque" by the same director which although the title is French its a spanish film, they are really good
smile.gif

I'd love to see Amelie, but it's not playing anywhere near me.

I love the director, who also filmed Delicatessan and I believe, City of the Lost Children. Nevermind he directed the horrible Aliens 4 but I'll forgive him for that. Amelie looks like wonderful eye candy and I can't wait to see it but sadly, I just might have to wait for it to be released on DVD...

PS, I dig watching foreign films.
biggrin.gif

I saw Amelie a couple weeks ago, and I loved it! My friend wanted to see it, but I was a little wary since I figured that a critically acclaimed foreign film would probably be too confusing, boring, or weird for me (not that that's the case for other people!). But I was very pleasantly surprised- I think Amelie is a very enjoyable film. I recommend it to everyone who hasn't seen it.

Originally posted by adam's_mistress:
I love the director, who also filmed Delicatessan and I believe, City of the Lost Children.

That's what I thought! No wonder his name sounded familiar. The clone from City is casted in this one as well.

foray

Its funny cos here its been a hit, a number one for a lot of weeks and its still on the screens and gets a lot of people. I wonder why did they changed the title so drastically, cos the original title is "Le Fabuleux destin d'Am?lie Poulin" (The fabulous fate of Am?lin Poulin).

Anyways, I'm really a tratiro, cos I haven'T seen it (here, almost everyone saw it),but I have the soundtrack and its very.. delightful.

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : www.unesco.org

Ej?rcito Zapatista de Liberaci?n Nacional (EZLN) : www.ezln.org
"The one who governs with weapons is surely poor in ideas" - Marcos

Solidarit?s : <A HREF="http://www.solidarites.org

Parti" TARGET=_blank>www.solidarites.org

Parti</A> pour une Alternative Progressiste : www.parti-rap.org

If I can't find the soundtrack anywhere here, do you know where I can order it online (and hopefully an English language website of course)..?

foray

If I can't find the soundtrack anywhere here, do you know where I can order it online (and hopefully an English language website of course)..?

foray

I don't know foray, I bought it here in a Archambeault store
smile.gif

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : www.unesco.org

Oh J'aimais thanksggiving film beaucoup , tellement sucr?e et innocent et elle rappeler ? myself de une jeune Audrey dont prier!!!! se que une tr?s joli s'embuer , le meilleur morceau pour moi ?tait quand il est all? 'ohhhhhh et ohhhhhhhh' en retard sur elle one les revenante - tra?ne trajet et les terminaison quand il ?tablir son , LOL dans les ?g? coupler ayant sexe dans les cantine! Oh et les morceau o? elle se dissoudre , v?ritable sympathique s'embuer et esp ensuite raison MOI met Jimmy Nesbitt!!! Oh luxuriant luxuriant luxuriant!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Aaaaghhh! I have been wanting to see this film. And just yesterday I found out they are playing it at a theatre near me. Unfortunately my car is broken, so I will have to find a friend to drag along.
biggrin.gif

It is sad to notice that in the USA, as I can see, forgeing movies are only showed in specific places, as opposed as here, where American movies are really imposing themselves everywhere. We produce movies and our own movies cannot comete with such amounts of money and the deals made with the... american owned theatres.... we cannot see our own movies everywhere on our own territory.

------------------

woohoo, my car is working now, so I left work early yesterday afternoon and went to see "Amelie". And what a delightful movie it was! The camera work alone made it worthwhile. Charming movie...takes you into a different world, Amelie's world. I must admit, as an outgoing person that would never have a problem meeting strangers, I wanted to strangle her a few times and say "aggh girl, just tell him!!!" but c'est la vie. Was it just me or did Amelie's looks change gradually over the course of the movie. It seems to me that in the beginning, her hair was down in that cutesy little bob that made her seem almost impish, but by the end she was wearing it up which made her look more...err...what's the word...womanly? lol. I dunno, that may just be my reading into it.

Annnnyways, loved this movie and I'm going to see it again and buy it when it comes out on video.
biggrin.gif

-sula

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

Sula's Europe and U2 Concert Pics

Ik ben een vrouw, hoor mij eens brullen!!

[This message has been edited by sulawesigirl4 (edited 01-17-2002).]

Yay, sula.

Hey, I noticed her hair, too, but I only noticed that it grew in length thru-out the film. No deep insights like you
tongue.gif

The director was Nino? I can't believe it; he is that young and good-looking? Ooh.... Edge move over - this guy speaks French too!
biggrin.gif

yarof

I re-checked and Nino wasn't the director of this particular film, but he IS a director. And I agree...quite a cutie. hehe.

s_1105_34.jpg

OOH, and one of the scenes was shot on my street in Paris! lol. The one where the hostel I stayed in was. I recognized the name. *memories*

I can't wait to go see this again.
biggrin.gif

-sula

Originally posted by Holy John:
It is sad to notice that in the USA, as I can see, forgeing movies are only showed in specific places, as opposed as here, where American movies are really imposing themselves everywhere. We produce movies and our own movies cannot comete with such amounts of money and the deals made with the... american owned theatres.... we cannot see our own movies everywhere on our own territory.

Yeah, there aren't many foreign movies that make it out of the few art-house theatres here. Obviously there was Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (which for the record, I didn't think was that good). Generally I wait for the movies to be released on DVD to a local video chain that specializes in foreign films. That's where I first found films like Lock, Stock, And 2 Smoking Barrels and With A Friend Like Harry. If you don't live in the city, it can be difficult to find many films aside from your standard Bruckheimer-produced crap.

------------------
Change is the only constant

bwahaha, I went to see this movie yet again this weekend and dragged along (they went willingly actually) two other interferencers, zonelistener and kyra1. And they loved it too!
biggrin.gif

I want this soundtrack!

-sula

A few years ago, there was a French "3 Musketeers" film with Sophie Marceau as the long-lost daughter of D'Artagnan that was kinda fun.
smile.gif

I'm also fond of Manon of the Spring and Babette's Feast, as far as foreign films go, but being a bad American, I truly haven't seen too many outside of films I was compelled to watch in French class.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

I loved "Le Fabuleux Destin d'Am?lie Poulain". It was uplifting without being corny.A magical movie.Jeunet has such a particular and incredible imagination and vision.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
s_1105_34.jpg

Nino is played by this french director/actor called Matthieu Kassovitz. He's the one who made this great movie called "La Haine" (or "Hate", I REALLY recommend it !), and "Les Rivi?re Pourpres". He's really talented. And cute.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom