'Amelie' Director, Star Reunite for WWI Romance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030618/film_nm/film_jeunet_dc_1

'Amelie' Director, Star Reunite for WWI Romance
Tue Jun 17,10:27 PM ET
By Charles Masters

PARIS (Hollywood Reporter) - French director Jean-Pierre Jeunet (news), whose film "Amelie" was the highest-grossing French-language movie in recent history, is to handle one of the biggest budgets ever for a Gallic picture with his follow-up, the romantic drama "Un Long Dimanche de Fiancailles" (A Very Long Engagement).

Set against the backdrop of World War I, "Un Long Dimanche" follows the quest of a young woman, Mathilde, who refuses to believe her fiance died in a bizarre incident in no man's land and is trying to find out the truth. The movie reunites Jeunet with "Amelie" star Audrey Tautou (news). Other cast members are due to be announced in the coming weeks, with shooting scheduled to start Aug. 4 in locations around France.

Adapted from the book by Sebastien Japrisot, "Un Long Dimanche" is budgeted at "over 40 million euros" ($47 million), said Richard J. Fox, executive vp international at Warner Bros., which is producing the film.

This puts the project on a par with "Asterix and Obelix vs. Caesar" and "Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatra." Both "Asterix" movies cost about 45 million euros, which makes them the most expensive French-language productions ever.

Speaking to reporters Tuesday from his production offices outside Paris, Jeunet said he was not fazed by the sums in play.

"I've never felt pressure about (having a big) budget," he said. "Even when I've done commercials with $2 million for 30 seconds, I don't care. It's not a problem because I work a lot in advance."

"It's an epic story," Fox said. "It's got a 'Dr. Zhivago' feel. The fact that it's in French is not a problem. I think audiences will connect with this film whatever the language." Warner Bros. will distribute the movie worldwide, with a U.S. release planned for December 2004. The film is due for release in France in October 2004.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Jeunet is a quality director, so, as long as he maintains full creative control (unlike "Alien: Resurrection"), I think it will be a good film. Although we never know...

Melon

Back
Top Bottom