Am I the only person here who doesn't give a crap about Harry Potter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The book that hooked me into the series was book 3, The Prisoner of Azkaban. The way that book treated good and evil as choice rather than destiny interested me and I was impressed by the way the plot twisted. I had tried to read book one about two years prior and had also put it down about six chapters in, but I read book one again after loving book three and found it much more interesting the second time around.

I've never read a Harry Potter book. I saw the first couple of movies, but just don't really care enough to keep seeing them...

ILuvLarryMullen said:
I'm just glad that the last book is finally out so eventually I won't have to hear about it anymore :|.
'Cept for the movies.
But I hear ya on that one.

I've heard so much about Harry Potter that I am just sick of it. Period.
I tried to watch the first movie. Was not happening. I was too easily bored by it and fell asleep. :|

I don't give a crap about Harry Potter. Big time nerdsville.

. But I suppose we U2 fans look a bit nerdy to outsiders as well. The Eminem demographic could kick our asses and stuff us into our lockers after stealing our lunch money.

gabrielvox said:
No clue what's been said so far, but based on the title of the thread, I couldn't agree more.

And thank god my kids no longer give a crap about it either :lol:

:tsk:

It's over. I'm never going to a UV show again.

elevated_u2_fan said:

:sad: What about Superman sheets? :sexywink:

Star Wars sheets & curtains, baby! :rockon:

I think Harry Potter is great...it's so easy to knock something that's become universally popular. I've never read the books, but I've seen every movie, except for the latest. As in most adaptations, the books are probably even better. The great thing about the series is how it fuels creativity and imagination...and how it channels the inner kid in people who maybe are aren't so little. As for the legitimate kids, if this kind of thing actually motivates them to start reading, that's the kind of success that endures. :up:

Edit: I currently have more manly curtains...just want everyone to know that.

Last edited:
But I suppose we U2 fans look a bit nerdy to outsiders as well.

For sure. Reading this thread also reminds me of trying to convince people U2 don't suck, aren't boring, you need to listen to the later stuff, etc. It's so hard to really know something is so good and want to share it, and have people brush it off or even worse, laugh it off, even ridiculing you for your fandom :sigh:

They say the same things, "I heard the first couple albums, meh, not for me" "I don't get what all the fuss is about" then it's "boring old farts, they suck" "haven't done anything good since Joshua Tree" or even "all their songs sound alike" :scream: :banghead: I want to say 'but but but BUT if you'd only give ____ a chance..." It's the same with HP. I know a lot of people who put it down would like it if they got into it, but they won't.

Last edited:
Butterscotch said:

It's the same with HP. I know a lot of people who put it down would like it if they got into it, but they won't.

Another really sad thing is how I've always equated HP with "Hewlett-Packard." So adult. :sad:

angelordevil said:

Another really sad thing is how I've always equated HP with "Hewlett-Packard." So adult. :sad:

So true! You are not alone! To this day "H-P" is Hewlet Packard to me. I've never understood the whole Harry Potter fascination. Whatever.

GibsonGirl said:

Er, here's a thought: could the reason for this be, perhaps, that you have never read a single book? :shrug: I've no problem with people judging Harry Potter if they've given the books a decent chance. But to gripe about the series without having read a single book... That's rather silly, if you ask me. You're like those people who judge U2's overall quality without even listening to a whole album.

GibsonGirl said:

I guess it's different for me because I started reading them at age twelve. :shrug:

But as Butterscotch says, don't judge Harry Potter based upon the first two or three books alone. They get a lot more complex the further you go.

:up:
To dislike something simply because it's popular or hyped up is just ignorant. My brother was the same way....until he was bored one summer and picked up the first few books because he had nothing to do. After book 3, he was hooked.

I'm a huge LoTR fan (pre- and post-movie). I think of it this way: LOTR is boring as hell for the first 150 pages. Nothing worthwhile or exciting happens until they get to Rivendell---even fleeing from the Nazgul is boring with the way JRRT writes it. Those first 150 pages read like 300. :yuck:

With HP, you read the first book and you think, "Yeah, that's a nice kids' book." You read the second one and more of the same, though you could pry out some bigger themes like racism, etc. out of it. You get to the third one and by the time you get to the 100-page climax and the first signs of a much deeper backstory, you're hooked. And then from the fourth on, you know that there's something much bigger going on. Seeing as how anyone who can read LoTR could probably crank out the first two books in a weekend, it's not such a horrible investment to make to at least give it a shot.

But whatever, I'm not expecting to change anyone's mind. Once it's cool to dislike something that's popular.....

Back
Top Bottom