Am I the only one who thinks Eminem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I watched bits and pieces of the VMA's when they were aired again early in the morning, and I did catch Eminem's performance. Nothing about it surprised me though...it's just Eminem. I do like some of his music too.

I cannot stand him. For than matter I cannot stand most rappers, or even most "performers" who do not write or record their own MUSIC.

he particularly annoys me however...

for those who missed it...

from Eonline:

Until the Guns N' Roses appearance, it looked like the watercooler moment from the show would involve Eminem and a threat to kick the ass of a certain bald, glasses-wearing deejay.

The verbal scuffle came just moments after Triumph the Insult Comic Dog (on loan from Late Night with Conan O'Brien) teased Moby--the butt of a riff on the number-one disc The Eminem Show--about his "feud" with Eminem. Moby laughed and played along. Eminem did not, shooing the puppet pooch away. (Damn that dog. Always stirring up trouble.)

Then Eminem was called to the podium to accept his moon man statue for Best Male Video from presenter Christina Aguilera (another of his celebrity feuds). In the midst of his speech--and, apparently, amid jeers from audience member Moby--Em became irritated.

"Keep booing. Keep booing, little girl," he said, addressing Moby. "I will hit a man with glasses."

Bonochick said:
...it's just Eminem. I do like some of his music too.

:yes: :yes: yeah i agree.

i mean, you cant really argue with Stan can you??

but a lot of his other "controversial" stuff, just strikes me as a commercial bid for publicity...

a mixed bag...

I hate Emniem.

A man who sings in a song "I slept with 10 HIV positive women - if you want to be like me....." doesn't earn anything but pity for his brain full of shit.

I had just decided about 6 days ago that eminem is an angry little brilliant boy and I was sorta liking some of his songs. I told a friend this while sitting in the 3rd row waiting for Moby to come onstage last week.

So I was an eminem fan for all of 6 days and it ended last night. But I feel better after reading what Moby posted on his website today:

so, i, uh, guess that i have to write something about the eminem/vma debacle.
hmmm....well, what should i write?
the truth?
the truth is that i honestly, in all sincerity, thought that the whole eminem thing was done in some semblance of humor until eminem called me a pussy (that was off camera) and then threatened to beat me up. ah well.
oh, by the way, i posted about a million photos of my vma night. go look at moby art and see my frivolous vma photos. they're frivolous.
more truth?
i think that eminem is talented and interesting but i'm kind of stunned at the anger that he has for me seeing as i'd never met him up until last night.

and i love 'triumph the insult comic dog'.
and i was more concerned for triumph's well-being.if eminem wants to pick on someone, fine, pick on me, but don't diss the dog-puppet. triumph the dog-puppet is my hero.
that's the sole reason that i went to the vma's.
cos i love that little dog-puppet.
and jimmy fallon's intro was utterly outstanding.
and the strokes after party performance was wonderful.
thanks,
moby

classy, that Moby. :heart:

:wave: howdy!

It's funny how em is so threatened by a smart and lovable guy. How stupid is it to get all macho and angry because of a sweet and nerdy-but-cool kind of guy who everyone loves? Why doesn't he pick a fight with somebody like P. Diddy or Pink, both of whom could kick his ass? :lol:

more from :heart:moby.com:

vma day.
and i'm excited cos i get to do a bit with my favourite dog celebrity.
i hope he doesn't destroy me too savagely.
and nyc is cool and rainy and it's really nice. it feels like autumn. after 112 degree heat in phoenix this is a nice change.
i had the biggest lunch at teany today. pesto pasta, quinoa tabouleh, potato salad, lentil salad, matechino, iced soy chai latte, a pot ofechinacea tea, a cup of coffee, and then my friend johan showed up with truffles and a tomato sauce that he'd just made so we had spaghetti with truffles and tomato sauce.
where does it all go?
am i a cow? do i have multiple stomachs?
and then for dinner i made myself soba noodles with sesame tofu and broccoli.
it's been a good food day. in fact, i'm hungry again.
how is that possible? i've eaten enough today to keep a family of 4 well fed for a week.
i must have a 12 foot long tapeworm living inside me.
-moby

joyfulgirl said:
I had just decided about 6 days ago that eminem is an angry little brilliant boy and I was sorta liking some of his songs. I told a friend this while sitting in the 3rd row waiting for Moby to come onstage last week.

So I was an eminem fan for all of 6 days and it ended last night. But I feel better after reading what Moby posted on his website today:

classy, that Moby. :heart:

I started to like eminem's music too, I do not like him as a person, but I did like some songs on his last album. However, after seeing the way he acted at the VMA's, I can't stand the little prick anymore. I was so glad when he was booed off the stage.

Lara Mullen said:
:heart: Moby

:mad: Eminem

YES!

Thanks for the posts from moby.com, joyfulgirl. He is a class act all the way. I'm glad he set the record straight. MTV either didn't record or edited out some of the threats that Eminem made. I wondered exactly what happened to make the crowd boo. Eminem getting booed by his music industry peers was pretty cool. :laugh:

dipster said:
However, after seeing the way he acted at the VMA's, I can't stand the little prick anymore. I was so glad when he was booed off the stage.

Seriously. I mean he has some good stuff, but it seems he just keeps saying the same thing over and over again, "look at me I act black and that scares old people, but your kids all want to be just like me... blah blah.... I'm a fucking genius" His videos are hilarious (except Stan, which was disturbing), but he needs to expand his music, or his next record probably will go nowhere.

I am pissed about him picking on Moby. It's not as if Moby provoked it in any way, and I was glad his pasty white ass got booed off of stage. Maybe this is the beginning of the end.

I like neither artist, but Eminem is just ridiculous...it's fairly obvious that he is nothing more than a corporate tool. There is no doubt that he has talent, but it's going to waste doing, as previous posters have said before me, the same old thing. He's really only selling his gimmick right now....

BTW, Triumph is outstanding...two thumbs up to that dog.:up: :up:

I am a member of the Moby boards at Moby.com and I like reading his online journal. I like how he keeps in touch with his fans that way. What is sad is that the Moby ubb was invaded by ignorant Eminem fans, and all they could post was derogatory posts, typing in all caps, basically using language that Eminem uses in all of his songs. It's sad, but it's also brings to mind what Moby said about Eminem "he promotes hate" and that is what I sensed from fans of Eminem.

Eminem got rich off white america by using an African American artform, I wish he could do something positive with it, kind of like what the Beastie Boys have done. Soon his material will run out, eventually he will stop hating his mom, eventually he will stop hating women, eventually his sense of humor and language will go past the 6th grade level.

What is there to be angry about when you're a rich white man anyway? Oh, well maybe he should stop being self centered and focus his anger on other things in the world other than his miserable life he used to have. I mean, there are a lot of injustices in the world that could use more national spotlight, not just the fact that you weren't coddled by mommy, Mr Marshal Mathers.

Last edited:
Eminem is a no talent, rude, stupid, trashy, excuse for a musician. He had no reason to start hating moby. he had never met moby untill after the VMA's. And Eminem is such an idiot. Yes make violent threats to a little pacifist. He knows Moby wont do anything. He only makes fun of people who he knows wont do anything back. I mean make violent comments to a woman who weighs 45 lbs (christina augulira), please! all he does is whine about either how bad his life is, or how much better he is than everyone else, or makes fun of people. How immature! I mean there is no variety to his music. there is more to life then what he is rapping about. He needs to open his eyes. I am suprised he has't rapped about Bono saying he is "gay" or "old". Because Bono would act like moby and have a sense of humor. and shrug it off. I dont see him as having ay talent. he takes human rights back so far, I wish he would leve moby alone. It is just sad he is bothering with it. It is just to get some publicity. because if he wasn't making violent threats, no one would give a shit about him

Last edited:
In response to AdamsMango, I read a Rolling Stone interview w/ the White Stripes which refers to an incident where Ozzy Osbourne's wife Sharon was reportedly telling off Eminem in the hall of some awards show (MTV Movie Awards, I believe)...and Eminem being surrounded by bodyguards not responding at all to her verbal tirade. Basically, you (and everyone else) are right, he only attacks meaningless "pop" stars and others who have no interest to attack in a physical way. He's just a pawn...he doesn't (and will not) try to antagonize others because he's trying to sell to the "rebel" kid, the MTV crowd...its a shame IMO, but sure enough, the well will run dry.

Well the awards were shown here in Europe today and i thought that Eminem's behaviour was pathetic.

First (unlike Moby) he refuses to play along with the joke with the dog and shoves him off, and later he threats Moby
- and from interviews i've seen with Moby, i really don't think he's the kind of person that would boo anyone - if you look carefully, right after Eminem gets up to pick up that partcular award, you can see Moby is clapping! Besides there was a whole lot more than 1 person booing from the sounds of it.

AND I LOVED EMINEM getting booed!

I dunno - i'm not into techno, but i do like Moby's sound, and i'm not into rap but Eminem has catchy rhytms and i don't think his lyrics are meant to be taken seriously - i think it's more like he just likes to push people's buttons. (too bad though he spends his talent on the "controversy" mask he puts on instead of addressing some real issues in the world like, say, Rage against the machine.).
Also, a lot of his success IMO comes due to the fact he's white - i don't think a black rapper would get this kind of publicity.

Last edited:
Eminem's a talent. I think he sold out though. After whining aboot not wanting to be in the same room as MTV regulars....now he's one of them

well..................

I watched the VMA simply because I thought they might have a real band there but I was mistaken..there were however a couple of knockoff the Who and the Stones bands that were up and coming ...key to being my favorite band or video is that the BAND MEMBERS ACTUALLY PLAY AN INSTRUMENT! AND MAKE "MUSIC" ...I was not in the least impressed with MandM (Vanilla No II) or his wannabemusicbuttalkingthelyricsinstead...I think its geared toward violence at the least and on the flip side, he might not be "all that " to look at but I think Moby is pretty creative and talented (his disc I have)...regardless of what the dog said he lacked (the "D" thing...he's only descended from the author)...but I did discover why I really don't do MTV anymore...(I'm getting old but I can still HEAR!) it's geared for 17 to 20 year olds (and it seems to be all gang banger rap)...VH1 however plays U2 and is geared to 25 and up....and has real BANDS

MonaVox said:
Eminem's a talent. I think he sold out though. After whining aboot not wanting to be in the same room as MTV regulars....now he's one of them

He's been an MTV regular for the last 3 years though...

MonaVox said:

Yes, i think it's funny how he got from this "underground" world into mainstream.
I thought real rappers didn't care for MTV airplay or mainstream... and yet he keeps thanking MTV. (i mean, isn't he supposed to "keep it real?") To me the more publicity he gets the less seriously he will be taken.

:shrug:

Also dr. Dre helped him big.

U2girl said:
Yes, i think it's funny how he got from this "underground" world into mainstream.
I thought real rappers didn't care for MTV airplay or mainstream... and yet he keeps thanking MTV. (i mean, isn't he supposed to "keep it real?") To me the more publicity he gets the less seriously he will be taken.

Absitively Posolutely

Back
Top Bottom