Am I the only one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mediaman44

War Child
I really like discovering old music. I think it started with U2, then it branched to Depeche Mode, then INXS and the Cars and Tears For Fears and The Cure. Now I am way in to the Beach Boys and Chuck Berry.

I guess since I wasn't really around for the first time they became popular I have to discover their music for myself, and I really like it.

Not at all :). Many of the artists I consider my favorites have been making music for decades now. I watch VH1 Classic frequently, and have discovered many great songs/bands through that channel.

And I love '50s/'60s music. Sometimes at night I'll flip on the oldies Music Choice channel and listen to that as I'm going to sleep :up:. The Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, et al...good stuff.

I credit my family with keeping me interested in that stuff-I've been hearing it around my house ever since I was a little kid, so I've grown up loving music that was before my time (or that came out when I was too young to notice it).

Angela

Ah, well, I'm still in the process of checking out more of Nick Lowe's music, for instance. I've heard a few of his albums, and a bunch of his well-known songs, and I want to find more of his work. Same situation with the Beatles, too. And I'm also kinda curious to hear more from the Kinks. There's a few off the top of my head.

You mentioned the Beach Boys and Chuck Berry, what are you particularly liking from them? And is there anyone else you're liking right now?

Angela

I had heard about Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys for the longest time and finally downloaded it for the first time a few months ago. Let me tell you, it did not disappoint. I loved it from start to finish.

The great thing about discovering music from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, is that, and it does sound cliché, if you haven't heard it before then it's like new music for you. And that, I think, is part of the fun of discovering old classics.

You know you're getting old when people consider the Cars, Depeche Mode, INXS and Tears for Fears "old music". :)

That's the joy of music, or literature MM44. It's always waiting to be discovered by new generations. It's thrilling to be introduced to an artist or author that is new to you, and mine their catalogue. I'm 37 and still enjoy music that is new, and music that is simply new to me.

Enjoy your musical journey. Oh, and, try to make your way back to some Motown songs. You won't regret it. :)

No spoken words said:
You know you're getting old when people consider the Cars, Depeche Mode, INXS and Tears for Fears "old music". :)

:lol:. Hey, it weirds me out seeing groups like Nirvana, Green Day, and Weezer showing up on VH1 Classic, so I hear ya.

No spoken words said:
That's the joy of music, or literature MM44. It's always waiting to be discovered by new generations. It's thrilling to be introduced to an artist or author that is new to you, and mine their catalogue. I'm 37 and still enjoy music that is new, and music that is simply new to me.

Exactly. Only downside is that sometimes, if the artist isn't making any new music, it makes me wish I could've been around to see them or something. But you're right, seeing all this music you've yet to discover is very exciting.

No spoken words said:
Oh, and, try to make your way back to some Motown songs. You won't regret it. :)

I wholeheartedly agree. '60s Motown :drool:. Some absolutely classic stuff from that time period.

Angela

The Modern Lovers is a band I've just barely gotten into quite a bit this year. Jonathan Richman for ever.

trust me your no the only one :)

I have listened to "old" bands since i was born alot of midnight oil, INXS, Icehouse all the good old aussie bands my parents where and are still into.

there music is great! old music is something that shouldn't be bagged out.

What most people dont know is to appreciate today's music and understand it you have got to know where there music came from.

Such as the beatles, Rolling stones, U2, INXS; just to name a few

I have discovered David Bowie in the past few months and I think he is brilliant!

Last edited:
:yes: It all started here for me. I listened to the top 50 and that was it, then I got hutdab, then attyclub, then came here, and the rest is history.

It's what every person that has ever listened to music should do.

And don't stop at the 60s... go back further. You won't regret it. Go back as far as possible - you'll find a lot of cool ideas that sort have been lost to the sands of time. Like how mind blowing country music was in the 1920s, seriously!

cinnaminson said:
motown:yes: most other music pales in comparison

Yeah, the Detroit music scene of that time is pretty hard to beat :).

Zoobaby14 said:
I have listened to "old" bands since i was born alot of midnight oil, INXS, Icehouse all the good old aussie bands my parents where and are still into.

All excellent bands.

Zoobaby14 said:
there music is great! old music is something that shouldn't be bagged out.

What most people dont know is to appreciate today's music and understand it you have got to know where there music came from.

Precisely. That's another reason I love older music-without it, some of the more recent bands I like would likely never exist. I always enjoy hearing newer bands cover older songs-not only do I get to see who their influences are and what older artists they like (it's always cool to realize that your favorite artists love some of the same music you do), but it's just neat seeing them pay homage to the classics and stating how important these legendary bands are.

There was mention of Pet Sounds in here earlier...I've certainly heard many great things about that album (I've heard a few songs off it already and liked them), so I'll definitely try and check that out as soon as possible.

(Oddly enough, the Beach Boys are on right now as I type this!)

Angela

Zoobaby14 said:

I have discovered David Bowie in the past few months and I think he is brilliant!

Me too! I feel so lame admitting this, but it wasn't until I recently re-watched "The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou" for the 3rd time and really paid attention to the music. "Life On Mars?" and "Queen Bitch"!!! :drool: :drool: :rockon: :combust:

I SO need Hunky Dory for Christmas!

Hunky Dory is a bit hit or miss, but when it hits... goddamn.

The Life Aquatic has my two favorite Bowie tracks, Life on Mars? and Queen Bitch.

Good taste, Fitz. :up:

Yeah, I'm really getting into Bowie now too. He's fantastic.

My mother saw him on the Ziggy Stardust Tour, and is a little freaked out that I'm listening to him. Just a little though, gang.

BonoManiac said:
I had heard about Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys for the longest time and finally downloaded it for the first time a few months ago. Let me tell you, it did not disappoint. I loved it from start to finish.

The great thing about discovering music from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, is that, and it does sound cliché, if you haven't heard it before then it's like new music for you. And that, I think, is part of the fun of discovering old classics.

I've always wanted to hear that but i always forget to download it. :shh: I WONDER WHERE I COULD FIND A LINK TO MAYBE A PLACE THAT WOULD ALLOW ME TO DOWNLOAD THAT?

phillyfan26 said:

My mother saw him on the Ziggy Stardust Tour, and is a little freaked out that I'm listening to him. Just a little though, gang.

That's pretty far out, man.

phillyfan26 said:

You want to borrow my jumper, Bowie?

Zoobaby14 said:
trust me your no the only one :)

me too...
yeah David Bowie is awsome,Like the Best!

I have liked Depeche Mode too a little bit.
Old music is ok, some you just have to get used to but most songs i have heard rock

I know it sound cliche, but I've really, really gotten into the Beatles and some of George and John's solo stuff lately.

No spoken words said:

Indeed! Those are still modern bands for me (veteran maybe, but not old). I consider oldies music as being made before 1966 or so (or at times I think before 1962, before The Beatles). After that the classic period starts, until 1976/1977 or so (say, with the start of punk). Post 1977 is still the current/modern period for me.

And it's great listening to those artists and track the evolution of music.
A favourite of mine is Buddy Holly. Great songs and a carreer that was cut short way too soon. It's interesting to hear his song Not Fade Away and track its influence (as basically The Stooges' 1969, Bruce Springsteen's She's The One and U2's Desire all use the same beat).

In a whole different genre, there's Ray Charles. His work in the Fifties laid the foundation for Rhythm & Blues and subsequently soul (one of his boxsets isn't called The Birth Of Soul for nothing and songs he wrote then are still current today (see Kanye West sampling his I Got A Woman for Golddigger)).

Music! :heart:

Popmartijn said:
A favourite of mine is Buddy Holly. Great songs and a carreer that was cut short way too soon. It's interesting to hear his song Not Fade Away and track its influence (as basically The Stooges' 1969, Bruce Springsteen's She's The One and U2's Desire all use the same beat).

Buddy Holly had some fantastic songs, definitely-I've liked what I've heard from the guy. My favorite song of his is probably "Peggy Sue". I've also always liked "Everyday" as well, both his version as well as James Taylor's-it just puts a smile on my face when I hear it.

Incidentally, the town I was born and spent a good portion of my life in was right next to the airport where the tragic crash involving him occurred. My family used to travel over to Clear Lake frequently, and we visited the Surf Ballroom a couple times when we were there-they even held a "sock hop" sort of night there once where they played a bunch of '50s and '60s music (and I think the guy who does that "Super Gold" radio show (does he still do it?) hosted it, too. I know he hosted something there once, can't remember if that was the event or not. Hm). Fun times.

Popmartijn said:
In a whole different genre, there's Ray Charles. His work in the Fifties laid the foundation for Rhythm & Blues and subsequently soul (one of his boxsets isn't called The Birth Of Soul for nothing and songs he wrote then are still current today (see Kanye West sampling his I Got A Woman for Golddigger)).

One reason why that song is good :). Another great artist to mention, definitely :up:. And his piano skills...wow.

Heard these guys earlier-the Everly Brothers would be another one worth mentioning. One in a long list of duos who were so, so good at using harmonies and crafting lovely little pop songs.

Popmartijn said:

I'll second that! Thank god for music, makes life just a bit more enjoyable.

Angela

Last edited:
Wow! I didn't know that a thread i started would get this much response.

Lots of cool stuff to check out. I think i'll start with David Bowie and Ray Charles. The only thing by david bowie that I've really heard is the duet with Queen-Under Pressure, which is amazing. I did recently see Labrynth and he was pretty good in that.

I do really like Mark Knopfler but I haven't heard much Dire Straits except Walk of Life. Any thoughts?

I heard Holiday in Cambodia by the Dead Kennedy's (I play lots of Guitar Hero III) and I was intrigued. Any other good old school punk to check out?

Back
Top Bottom