alternative alternative music - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 08-12-2004, 11:46 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 08:23 AM
For classical music, I'd recommend Mozart. His Requiem is quite possibly my favorite piece of music ever. I also like Modest Mussorgsky, works including Night on Bald Mountain and Pictures at an Exhibition. Beethoven is great as well. I know those are some big names--guess I'm not very 'indie' when it comes to classical.

And back to Deep Forest, I love them and would recommend them. The music on all their albums is essentially the same style, but the specifics change. Indigenous vocals with electronic music. Where they're coming from geographically changes with each album:

Deep Forest - African music, especially from Cameroon, Burundi, Senegal, and of the Pygmies

Boheme - as listed in the liner notes, music of the Hungarians, Belarussians, Taiwanese, Mongolians, Balinese, Georgians, Russians, Magyars, American Indians, and Inuits

Comparsa - A lot of Latin and Caribbean influence on this one; voices from South Africa, Madagascar, Mexico, Belize, and Cuba. One song is a mix of Arab and Andalusian music.

Music Detected - This album is supposedly a tribute to the music that the members of Deep Forest listened to growing up. I think it's their only album with any English lyrics, although the flavor is still distinctly Deep Forest.

Those are the four albums I have. I've been amazed at the people I know who like Deep Forest. My dad, a truck driver who listens to country and oldies, loves them. I also had a friend in high school who had never listened to anything but country. Once, on a bus ride home from a basketball game, she asked to hear what I was listening to. The look on her face when she heard those Pygmy voices was priceless. She loved it. So yeah, that's my Deep Forest spiel. I think they're worth a listen.

Old 08-13-2004, 12:05 AM   #17
Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Local Time: 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Jack In The Box

There exists an Argentinian band called Babasónicos that is a mixture between Los Temerarios (traditional mexican music band) and a bit of pop and another little of rock
i hate Babasónicos... lol... i don't know why i can't stand them.

but i like
Sui Generis i love them
Cafeta Cuba
La maldita vecindad (i don't know if they fit here i give a fuck about music genres but i like them)
La mojiganga (ska music )

and i like stuff like the Buena vista social club and old hard Salsa music

Old 08-13-2004, 12:42 AM   #18
Local Time: 09:23 AM
La Maldita Vecindad Y Los Hijos Del Quinto Patio (complete name)... they're ska, I don't like them, but my father is fan

I prefer Tijuana No, but they're punk-ska

Old 08-13-2004, 12:56 AM   #19
you are what you is
Local Time: 05:23 PM
I second Natacha Atlas and Babba Maal

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa