Alright you punks, give me your favourite Dropkick Murphys songs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the new social d rules. you really need to check out the street dogs. mike mccolgan of dkm 'do or die' fame on vocals, plus they're opening for social d on a few tour dates around the us now. www.street-dogs.com. they've got a new album coming out tuesday, its cover is my avatar :wink: and the other album kicks ass. 'savin hill'. yes it certainly does. and they're really good live. lots of energy on stage. their bassist used to play in the bruisers, which was al barr's band prior to him taking over for mike in dkm. and their drummer used to drum for the bosstones.

you'll appreciate this about the street dogs: i've seen em twice, first time mike started singing "coma girl" and "bank robber" for a little bit between their songs. second time they covered "career opportunities". and i'm really biased about how great these guys are cos mike mccolgan told me after their set at the warped tour that my joe strummer shirt was cool :i'manerd:

do or die is, on most days, my favorite album. it's easier for me to list the songs on there that i don't like...and i still don't hate those songs. UL mentioned it in another thread, turns out he skips the same ones i do...'third man in' and 'tenant enemy #1'....

'never alone', 'caught in a jar' are 2 of my favorite songs by anyone. but i really fucking love that album.

'the gangs all here' is my favorite dkm album when 'do or die' isn't. it took me forever to actually get into the album, even though the first dkm songs i heard were tracks off it. i initially hated 'upstarts & broken hearts' (probably had something to do with the fact that ken casey sings it), but when the live album came out i started to really like the song. it's one of my favorites. also ten years of service, blood and whiskey, pipebomb on lansdowne, perfect stranger...again it's easier to list the songs i don't like. for some reason i'm not particularly fond of the devil's brigade.

sing loud, sing proud. first dkm album i bought, first album i ever bought on the day it came out. i really like everything on it, too...hahaha...the only song on there i skip over is 'the fortunes of war'...i respect it for what they wrote it about, it's just not my favorite song. i still probably know all the words. the thing that keeps this from being my favorite dkm album is the fact that i've listened to it too many times.

'blackout'. nothing sucks on blackout. don't believe what the punk-er-than-you people tell you. 'kiss me i'm shitfaced' does get old, and it's not too great live (i really hope they stop playing it). it would be nice if they stopped putting 'the fields of athenry' on every single and compilation possible, but i still like their version of that song. 'world full of hate', 'worker's song'....OH YEAH!!! I FORGOT!!! I HATE "WALK AWAY"!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

i really do not like "walk away". so there is a shitty song on blackout, and it happens to be track #1.

singles collection....b-sides....there are some good ones. i don't like the cover of 'the guns of brixton' but 'career opportunities' is done well. pretty much, guns of brixton is the only cover i didn't like. the business songs they covered on the split they did with them kind of blow, but i still like that cd.

i cannot for the life of me remember what's on the singles vol. II that's out in march...

:shifty: they're one of my favorite bands. i can't help but go on forever about certain bands...:shifty:

Thanks for the input! I was kinda expecting a page long IWB reply to a thread like this!

Their cover of White Riot is definitely my favourite B-side. I heard Walk Away from that amazon free download site. No wonder it's free when they always have the worst song samples.

Last edited:
'white riot'!! :banghead:

i knew there was a 3rd clash cover i was forgetting.

Nothing sucks on Blackout? Come now, IWB....the title track can sod off, and so can their version of the Fields of Athenry.

My favorites are--
Upstarts and Broken Hearts
10 Years of Service
Boys on the Docks (on "Do or Die" not the live version)
The Outcast

....I'm an oi! girl and I love their gritty working class bloke type songs such as the ones listed above. "Pipebomb on Landsdowne" is good when I want something more hardcore out of the DKM, "Perfect Stranger" is good for something more melodic. I also really dig "Buried Alive" off of Blackout, I think it's a really emotional song, at least for me.

I also really hate the version of "the dirty glass" that they put on the album. wtf? A friend of mine has a recording of an earlier version which kicks the album cut's arse. Also, their cover of Fortune Son is the worst I've heard (tied with Sleater-Kinney).

The Gang's All Here is (if you hadn't guessed) my favorite DKM album and I really dig the title track, especially live....check out their live on St. Patrick's Day album after you buy Gang's All Here. Then get Do or Die.

ok that's my never humble opinion on the DKM. IWB, feel free to argue with me....

tennispunk said:
Nothing sucks on Blackout? Come now, IWB....the title track can sod off, and so can their version of the Fields of Athenry.

My favorites are--
Upstarts and Broken Hearts
10 Years of Service
Boys on the Docks (on "Do or Die" not the live version)
The Outcast

....I'm an oi! girl and I love their gritty working class bloke type songs such as the ones listed above. "Pipebomb on Landsdowne" is good when I want something more hardcore out of the DKM, "Perfect Stranger" is good for something more melodic. I also really dig "Buried Alive" off of Blackout, I think it's a really emotional song, at least for me.

I also really hate the version of "the dirty glass" that they put on the album. wtf? A friend of mine has a recording of an earlier version which kicks the album cut's arse. Also, their cover of Fortune Son is the worst I've heard (tied with Sleater-Kinney).

The Gang's All Here is (if you hadn't guessed) my favorite DKM album and I really dig the title track, especially live....check out their live on St. Patrick's Day album after you buy Gang's All Here. Then get Do or Die.

ok that's my never humble opinion on the DKM. IWB, feel free to argue with me....

oh i will disagree....;)

your top favorites you listed are all top favorites of mine :up:

yeah, the only thing on blackout that sucks is 'walk away'. fields of athenry is good. title track isn't one ofthe best songs ever, but i've got a couple biases going for it that make me like it.

the version of the dirty glass on the split with face to face blows, i assume that's the one you're talking about. the girl's voice is a little too whiny.

fortunate son i can take or leave, it depends on whether you're talking live (and then that depends on the show/bootleg recording) or studio. i heard a live version of that song that wilco did, and i thought that was a lot worse. they need to record 'fairytale of ny' though. and they didn't do such a bad job with 'baba o'riley'.

Ahhh... DKM...

In the weirdest of musical dichotomies, my two favorite Murphys albums are Blackout and Do or Die. Sing Loud Sing Proud is also really really good, and I'm a fan of roughly half of the Gang's All Here.

Of all the songs on Do or Die, I think my absolute favorites have to be "Skinhead on the MBTA," "Never Alone," and "Finnegan's Wake." So that's what, one and a half cover songs? Oh well, DKM do covers really well, especially traditional material, so it's not so bad. As IWB pointed out, the only songs I really don't like are "Tenant Enemy # 1" and "3rd Man In." The rest all fall somewhere in the middle. Songs like "Barroom Hero" don't even seem right to me anymore outside of the live setting though. (Gotta love the DVD with the kid singing the intro). But yeah, this album is probably my favorite high-volume album whilst driving. Especially at stoplights.

The Gang's All Here, as stated, is not my favorite album. While I love love love "Pipebomb on Landsdowne," "Upstarts and Broken Hearts" (unlike IWB, I actually love Ken singing, especially the last bit of "Boys on the Docks," but I digress), "Curse of a Fallen Soul," "10 Years of Service" (possibly my favorite Murphys track EVER, and that's about it. I really liked "Amazing Grace," and I still appreciate it, but I like the live version with Ken on lead a lot more (is it just me or are their faint vocals in the background, almost chanting, on the studio version?) "The Gang's All Here" is miles better live as well, and once in a while I like "The Fighting 69th." But for the most part, I really don't like the second half of the album.

"Sing Loud, Sing Proud" is very very very good, but... it sounds more like a compilation than an album to me. The flow is lacking, especially in the middle. But I still like damn near all the songs individually. "The Gauntlet," "Which Side Are You On?," "Wild Rover," "Spicy McHaggis Jig," "Rocky Road to Dublin," "Forever," "Heroes of Our Past," and "The Torch" all kick a lot of ass. The rest of the songs are all pretty good, nothing that really makes me go, "oh shit that rocks," though. Except maybe "For Boston." Oh, and "Good Rats." (Side note: This may be part of my problem with the album. What's with 4 cover songs on one album? Granted, the covers that make it to their albums are nearly always good, but that's a LOT).

And then there's "Blackout." I'll be first to admit that I actually enjoy "Walk Away." And "Gonna Be a Blackout Tonight." Oh, and "Black Velvet Band," "Buried Alive," "The Dirty Glass," "Bastards on Parade," "Fields of Athenry..." you get the picture. But I really, for whatever reason, despise "The Outcast." It's just trite to me. There are a few lines I enjoy, "If I can make a life and I can take a life, if I save a life will this life save me?" for example. But for the most part... no. Doesn't work for me. Sounds like it was an outtake from the Do or Die days that was revamped as a DKM 2003 lineup track that just doesn't cut it. Regardless of when it was written, it should have been left off. There are plenty of other great songs they could have put instead, or just left it at 13 tracks. And oh yeah, did I mention "Fields of Athenry".... :drool: :drool: (overexposed, but still... :drool: )

The singles collection, as some of you have pointed out, has a lot of hit or miss b-sides. Surprised no one's mentioned their cover of "Billy's Bones." Not a bad track at all, and head and shoulders above 2/3 of their Clash covers. (I agree about "Career Opportunites" being great, though). I'm really looking forward to the singles collection Vol. 2, as well as the new album. Curious as to what happened to the plans for the acoustic album. Oh well, at least they won't run out of things for me to buy buy buy anytime soon. :)

yeah...what did happen to the acoustic album. i was really looking forward to that. and really hoping for an acoustic version of 'forever' like they played last summer :drool:

i forgot about billy's bones. :shifty: that is a good one.

I just had some weird weird weird thoughts about an acoustic album. Boys on the Docks proves they can take a song that's not really meant for acoustic guitars and make it sound fucking awesome. What other uptempo songs would work? I'd like to see "Buried Alive" for one, and maybe "Upstarts and Broken Hearts." And maybe, just out of curiosity, "Barroom Hero" and "Never Alone". MAYBE.

it works...i don't know, i don't really have any thoughts on it. it's kind of like them playing "faraway coast" without mike, but if i sounds good and it's fun to sing along then that's really all that matters to me.

i think the only band who's gone through more line-up changes is the misfits.

i like the song "forever"

I bought the sing loud sing proud CD.....and its just too much for me...
what should I do?

Ive always fantasized about being some type of irish punk rock listener...
but i think i like lounge music too much

im dangerous

carrieluvv said:
i like the song "forever"

I bought the sing loud sing proud CD.....and its just too much for me...
what should I do?

Ive always fantasized about being some type of irish punk rock listener...
but i think i like lounge music too much

im dangerous

Supposedly an acoustic album is in the works.

UnforgettableLemon said:

Supposedly an acoustic album is in the works.

or is it?

ken's producing the unseen's hell cat debut....their "regular" album is supposed to be out early summer...

:down: fuck the unseen. i hate them.

*sings darkbuster's "i hate the unseen" *

Back
Top Bottom