Alright, whose going shopping the day after Thanksgiving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sicy said:
Hell no not me. I hate crowds and I hate people :mad:

that was pretty much going to be my response. actually, i was going to respond a tad more gently by stating, "i don't tolerate people very well. . . especially mindless people on the prowl for special bargains on more crap and clutter in their lives and in the lives of their loved ones".

I hate Black Friday. I'll shop on my own terms - when I want, how I want, at my own pacing and with room to breathe.

Last edited:
I don't think I'll really do any shopping. Most of my family doesn't really need anything so I think I'll do Heifer Project donations in their names instead of presents. Nothing says "I love you" like a farm animal! And no pesky lines!

Carek1230 said:
I almost puked when I heard that Kohls was opening at freaking 4AM on Friday. How stupid is that!! Give your store employees a break, it's THANKSGIVING for chrissakes and they are probly gonna still be digesting their big huge dinners! :ohmy:

My mom works in retail. One year she had to go in at 3:30 in the morning, even though the place opened up at 5 am, because she had to help get stuff ready :|. Yeah.

I agree, I've never understood the point of getting there so early. For god's sake, people, that expensive gift CAN wait a while. Hell, you can probably find 90% of that stuff online, so if it's not in a store, you'll live.

Carek1230 said:
It makes me sick how the holidays have become so over commercialized in the retail sect. Seeing how much gifts you can buy or how much money you can spend is NOT what Christmas is all about. What is this teaching our children?

My favorite part of the whole thing is watching GROWN PEOPLE, people who claim to be ADULTS, pushing and shoving and punching each other just to get to the latest hot item. I've heard stories of shootings, wrestling matches practically going on... If people want to know why kids today sometimes act bratty or violent, I simply point to stories of parents who act like that. What kind of example is THAT setting for your child? There were Christmases where my family didn't get much, and you know what? We survived, and life was still good, and we still had a great holiday.

I won't be out shopping tomorrow-partly because half of my family will be working tomorrow and will therefore have the car, and partly because I've become very sympathetic to retail workers because I have family in that line of work. I beg everybody who will shop tomorrow to go easy on the workers. Don't yell at them about store policy, because they have no control over it (and hey, sometimes they think it doesn't make much sense, either! But they have to abide by it), don't yell at them if they don't have or are out of something you're looking for, wait your turn...just give 'em a break, please.

Angela

Yep, I'll be shopping today and here's my list of stores to hit:

1) vet (if open) for a few canned of cat food
2) packaging store for a box for a painting
3) grocery store for a few items
4) post office to mail out box (and painting) purchased above

Otherwise I'm going to do my best to avoid stores that get lots of holiday shoppers until mid to late January. Any gifts I need to get I'll buy online. I can't stand crowds and am too spoiled by being able to find virtually anything online to go back to shopping at regular stores for most things.

I just woke up and am watching CNN and seeing the crowds of people pushing each other to get in the stores reminds me of why I sleep in the day after Thanksgiving.

I wonder if any of them have ever heard of the Monday after, which is supposedly the biggest online shopping day of the year. :hmm:

No way in hell was I going to venture into that madness today! Hit up the stores a couple of days before Thanksgiving including the mall. Got most of my shopping done minus the hassle of huge crowds. Only a couple of things left to buy now and I will do that by shopping online.

Feel bad for all of you who have to work retail :hug: Kohl's was out of their mind with opening that store at 4am :tsk:

I never understood this obsession of shopping the day after thanksgiving early in the frickin morning! :huh: Are prices really THAT much cheaper than other times in the year??

I suppose getting a $900 laptop for $300 is a good deal, but waiting in line, sleeping in a tent on concrete, and spending the night in a crowd of people I can't stand just in't worth it. Fuck that!

BAW and I usually pick a Wednesday or Thursday before Xmas, hit the mall and get it all done within 4 hours...

this early morning shopping frenzy will no doubt land someone on the news today who got into a fight over a Chatty-Kathy doll and the TV will be all over it...

Nate Dogg said:
but waiting in line, sleeping in a tent on concrete, and spending the night in a crowd of people I can't stand just in't worth it. Fuck that!

Back in the old days, that's how we got our U2 tickets! :wink:

I don't do this Black Friday madness either although I might pop into a store later this afternoon only because I'm bored. Otherwise I generally do my shopping online! Back before online my custom was to go shopping at 6PM on Saturday or Sunday night and get it all done in 4 hours without crowds. Thank goodness there was none of this early morning madness when I worked at a department store back in the late 70s.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I wouldn't even get up at 4am (or 5, 6, 7, etc.) if Bono himself was a Walmart greeter waving around copies of the remastered Joshua Tree. :wink:

Well, I might make the effort for that. :reject: :wink:

I went out this afternoon with my mom, and it wasn't horrible at that time. Even got Season 2 of the Office for $15, and a raincheck for Season 1 for $10.

And, because my friend and I are bored, we're going out again...just to laugh at all the people. :reject:

But, I do feel for the employees, I had to work it last year at Sears. It was my first day on the floor in the shoe department, and it was just nuts. I couldn't believe all the people who were out at that hour!

I had no intention of going, but me and my buddies decided to go to the mall this afternoon, and didn't realize till we got to the parking lot that it was the big day. We went in anyway, but it was nuts. We just bought food.

Ended up going to a couple of stores due to boredom. Didn't really find anything, and one store I went to was sold out of a few things I was looking for. So I will shop online. :shrug:

When the stores are open late at night, that's when I like to go, cuz its very quiet how at the mall in the burbs at that time...

pissed

shari schultz said:

good luck with that...........

I felt motivated after work...I drove 30 miles to an outlet mall. Got three shirts for myself for under $30 (thank you Puma and Banana Republic).

Stopped at home and headed for the mall. It was DEAD! I had to return a pair of shoes I ordered and they sent the wrong size. Still pissed (I have basically donated $5 for shipping for them to screw up an order). They did not have the right size. SO, I went on a mission to find another pair. I hit a few stores in the mall, then headed to Marshalls. No luck. Finished off with a trip to Target to pick up some essentials. :D

No hassles anywhere!

My store wasn't too bad today. This is the first time in years that I've worked retail this time of year so I wasn't sure what to expect. Some people were rude about our sales but everything was clearly marked in our ads and on the sales floor so it was their fault for not reading the signs properly! I shopped myself when I was finished but didn't get too much. I want to be done with my shopping soon so I don't have to think about it anymore.

I truly think this whole opening early business is getting out of hand. It's getting earlier and earlier every year to the point that stores will probably start to stay open on Thanksgiving day! I went to the outlet mall last weekend and they were giving out coupons for "midnight madness" for last night. How ridiculous is that?

I do like to shop during this weekend because I think some stores really do offer the best prices of the season. I try not to buy anything that's not on sale because I'm usually out and about enough during the week that I can stop by the stores I like to shop in and see if my items have gone on sale yet. But for some items, this is really the best time to get them. I don't like shopping online because I'd rather deal with the hassles at the mall than pay for shipping. Two stores that I considered ordering from do not offer free shipping unless it's over $50 and that's more than I need to spend at either store.

I think I might get a few things today. I like shopping online but I hate paying for shipping when I could just go to the same stores at the mall, plus I'm bored.

My mom and I were feeling adventurous yesterday afternoon, so we went to Ann Taylor Loft in a plaza that has the potential to become a parking nightmare. We easily got a spot right near the door, picked out some clothes, went right into a fitting room, and only waited in line for 5 minutes, mostly because the two people in front of us were doing multiple transactions with returns and bill payment. The manager on duty was even talking about sending people home early. When I was still in retail a few years ago, there was always talk about how Black Friday isn't really "the big day" anymore; it's the Saturday before Christmas now.

I think the parking lot at the mall was the worst part of the day. The stores themselves didn't seem all that more crowded than any other weekend. Also our mall is under construction, so half the parking lot on one side has been closed down for many months now. Luckily I got the 2nd spot, otherwise I would have just headed out to a different store. Today, still in pajamas, so who knows...

Re: pissed, don't blame ya

zonelistener said:

I felt motivated after work...I drove 30 miles to an outlet mall. Got three shirts for myself for under $30 (thank you Puma and Banana Republic).

Stopped at home and headed for the mall. It was DEAD! I had to return a pair of shoes I ordered and they sent the wrong size. Still pissed (I have basically donated $5 for shipping for them to screw up an order). They did not have the right size. SO, I went on a mission to find another pair. I hit a few stores in the mall, then headed to Marshalls. No luck. Finished off with a trip to Target to pick up some essentials. :D

No hassles anywhere!

:up: (except for the whole shoe thing)

We went out today. Sure it was busy, but no busier than our malls usually are on any Saturday. Actually, the first mall was less busy than it usually is on an average Saturday.

We went to Old Navy so I could get presents for my family (mom, dad, and two sibs) then over to another mall to get some little trinkety things for co-worker gifts, socks for Phil and I, and Chinese take-out.

We just need something for his parents and our nephew, but I'm getting him cute baby clothes from the campus store at school.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

you've done all your christmas shoping already?

yes it's true :reject: and I did find a lot of great deals too, free shipping and so on. not everything I bought was on sale or I had a coupon for, but really it was worth it to me to avoid crowds. the other incentive to get done early was that I was bringing most gifts with me when I went to Virginia for Thanksgiving because I saw my parents and 2 of my 3 sisters. that helped avoid having to ship things later on :up:

Last edited:
I bought a couple of camera memory cards for myself on Thanksgiving night, online that were 7 dollars each after a sale and rebate and free shipping. I haven't been in a store at all since the Monday before Thanksgiving and I wouldn't, even if I didn't have a cold since Friday.

There are supposed to be good deals online today, cyber Monday.

Back
Top Bottom