Alright, whose going shopping the day after Thanksgiving? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 11-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #31
I serve MacPhisto
Local Time: 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Sicy
Hell no not me. I hate crowds and I hate people
that was pretty much going to be my response. actually, i was going to respond a tad more gently by stating, "i don't tolerate people very well. . . especially mindless people on the prowl for special bargains on more crap and clutter in their lives and in the lives of their loved ones".

I hate Black Friday. I'll shop on my own terms - when I want, how I want, at my own pacing and with room to breathe.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:12 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 08:22 PM
I don't think I'll really do any shopping. Most of my family doesn't really need anything so I think I'll do Heifer Project donations in their names instead of presents. Nothing says "I love you" like a farm animal! And no pesky lines!

Old 11-22-2007, 03:17 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Carek1230
I almost puked when I heard that Kohls was opening at freaking 4AM on Friday. How stupid is that!! Give your store employees a break, it's THANKSGIVING for chrissakes and they are probly gonna still be digesting their big huge dinners!
My mom works in retail. One year she had to go in at 3:30 in the morning, even though the place opened up at 5 am, because she had to help get stuff ready . Yeah.

I agree, I've never understood the point of getting there so early. For god's sake, people, that expensive gift CAN wait a while. Hell, you can probably find 90% of that stuff online, so if it's not in a store, you'll live.

Originally posted by Carek1230
It makes me sick how the holidays have become so over commercialized in the retail sect. Seeing how much gifts you can buy or how much money you can spend is NOT what Christmas is all about. What is this teaching our children?
My favorite part of the whole thing is watching GROWN PEOPLE, people who claim to be ADULTS, pushing and shoving and punching each other just to get to the latest hot item. I've heard stories of shootings, wrestling matches practically going on... If people want to know why kids today sometimes act bratty or violent, I simply point to stories of parents who act like that. What kind of example is THAT setting for your child? There were Christmases where my family didn't get much, and you know what? We survived, and life was still good, and we still had a great holiday.

I won't be out shopping tomorrow-partly because half of my family will be working tomorrow and will therefore have the car, and partly because I've become very sympathetic to retail workers because I have family in that line of work. I beg everybody who will shop tomorrow to go easy on the workers. Don't yell at them about store policy, because they have no control over it (and hey, sometimes they think it doesn't make much sense, either! But they have to abide by it), don't yell at them if they don't have or are out of something you're looking for, wait your turn...just give 'em a break, please.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 07:22 PM
Old 11-23-2007, 05:53 AM   #35
love, blood, life
Local Time: 11:22 PM
Yep, I'll be shopping today and here's my list of stores to hit:

1) vet (if open) for a few canned of cat food
2) packaging store for a box for a painting
3) grocery store for a few items
4) post office to mail out box (and painting) purchased above

Otherwise I'm going to do my best to avoid stores that get lots of holiday shoppers until mid to late January. Any gifts I need to get I'll buy online. I can't stand crowds and am too spoiled by being able to find virtually anything online to go back to shopping at regular stores for most things.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:19 AM   #36
War Child
yep did my shopping ..
Old 11-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #37
Blue Crack Distributor
I just woke up and am watching CNN and seeing the crowds of people pushing each other to get in the stores reminds me of why I sleep in the day after Thanksgiving.

I wonder if any of them have ever heard of the Monday after, which is supposedly the biggest online shopping day of the year.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:05 AM   #38
love, blood, life
Local Time: 09:22 PM
No way in hell was I going to venture into that madness today! Hit up the stores a couple of days before Thanksgiving including the mall. Got most of my shopping done minus the hassle of huge crowds. Only a couple of things left to buy now and I will do that by shopping online.

Feel bad for all of you who have to work retail Kohl's was out of their mind with opening that store at 4am
Old 11-23-2007, 09:07 AM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 05:22 AM
I never understood this obsession of shopping the day after thanksgiving early in the frickin morning! Are prices really THAT much cheaper than other times in the year??
Old 11-23-2007, 09:25 AM   #40
I suppose getting a $900 laptop for $300 is a good deal, but waiting in line, sleeping in a tent on concrete, and spending the night in a crowd of people I can't stand just in't worth it. Fuck that!
Old 11-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #41
love, blood, life
BAW and I usually pick a Wednesday or Thursday before Xmas, hit the mall and get it all done within 4 hours...

this early morning shopping frenzy will no doubt land someone on the news today who got into a fight over a Chatty-Kathy doll and the TV will be all over it...
Old 11-23-2007, 09:35 AM   #42
Neon Zebra
Originally posted by Nate Dogg
but waiting in line, sleeping in a tent on concrete, and spending the night in a crowd of people I can't stand just in't worth it. Fuck that!
Back in the old days, that's how we got our U2 tickets!
Old 11-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
I don't do this Black Friday madness either although I might pop into a store later this afternoon only because I'm bored. Otherwise I generally do my shopping online! Back before online my custom was to go shopping at 6PM on Saturday or Sunday night and get it all done in 4 hours without crowds. Thank goodness there was none of this early morning madness when I worked at a department store back in the late 70s.

Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
I wouldn't even get up at 4am (or 5, 6, 7, etc.) if Bono himself was a Walmart greeter waving around copies of the remastered Joshua Tree.
Well, I might make the effort for that.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:20 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict
I went out this afternoon with my mom, and it wasn't horrible at that time. Even got Season 2 of the Office for $15, and a raincheck for Season 1 for $10.

And, because my friend and I are bored, we're going out again...just to laugh at all the people.

But, I do feel for the employees, I had to work it last year at Sears. It was my first day on the floor in the shoe department, and it was just nuts. I couldn't believe all the people who were out at that hour!
Old 11-23-2007, 05:14 PM   #45
Blue Crack Supplier
I had no intention of going, but me and my buddies decided to go to the mall this afternoon, and didn't realize till we got to the parking lot that it was the big day. We went in anyway, but it was nuts. We just bought food.