Alphabet City, Manhattan, New York Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
*peers at rock pics*

:scratch:

Were they very crumbly, Ax? Or did you not get quite that close :wink:
They look like they're weathered all to shit... might have been sandstony at some point? Maybe a bit of mudstone, between the layers and all... :shrug:

More rocks! I've a few more that I could upload if you like, too.

s640x480

s640x480

s640x480

s640x480

*peers at rock pics*

:scratch:

Were they very crumbly, Ax? Or did you not get quite that close :wink:
They look like they're weathered all to shit... might have been sandstony at some point? Maybe a bit of mudstone, between the layers and all... :shrug:

I was standing beside it, but I didn't really touch it. I wasn't sure if I was meant to be up there in the first place! :lol: I just wanted some higher ground for my rail photography, and I wanted to get off the cycle path.

Can't say I'm surprised they're seriously weathered, since it is a railway cutting, a very large railway cutting, and I imagine the sides of the cutting haven't been touched much since the railway was put through over 100 years ago. Hope the close-ups help ...

:lol: Then come with on my next Royal Park expedition!

Though what is the rock in question?

*tempted*

And that's a good question. I don't know why the layers seem to be concentric like that, that's very odd... it looks like it could be mudstone, or maybe something finer-grained like siltstone or maybe even chert, if it's a bit metamorphosed. :hmm:
I should look up a geological map of Melbourne, if I'm going to do this properly... :lol:

*tempted*

And that's a good question. I don't know why the layers seem to be concentric like that, that's very odd... it looks like it could be mudstone, or maybe something finer-grained like siltstone or maybe even chert, if it's a bit metamorphosed. :hmm:
I should look up a geological map of Melbourne, if I'm going to do this properly... :lol:

:laugh: Ooh, I've managed to confuse you! Now you've got to come down and spend some nerdy time checking out the rocks! I'm going to coax Fellow Albino Railfan into doing the walk sometime soon, as it's definitely a good spot for photography, so you'd be more than welcome to come along too.

Though I imagine I've done most of my gunzelling/photography for the week, as the Bureau's forecasting a shower or two all the way through to Saturday. :madspit:

(Tomorrow, I've got to make a historical record of the old Peel Street stops on the western side of Queen Vic Market, as they're being ripped out and replaced over the long weekend.)

It's not that hard to confuse me :tongue:

Yay for nerd time! :yippie: I saw my old hand lens the other day, too...

Weather... :grumpy: Looks like it was a bit damp when you were there?

Stoopid people, always ripping things up. :madwife:

It's not that hard to confuse me :tongue:

Yay for nerd time! :yippie: I saw my old hand lens the other day, too...

Weather... :grumpy: Looks like it was a bit damp when you were there?

Stoopid people, always ripping things up. :madwife:

I thought it'd be more of a challenge to confuse you with rocks, though. :wink: I figured this would all just be "oh yeah, that's [mundane rock], it's everywhere".

It was actually nice and dry when I was there, just foggy. My dodgy camera rather blew out the sky in most of my photos. In fact, just after I took those rock photos, the sun came out quite decently and I got some nice photos of trains in the afternoon sun. Most of the time, the available sunlight was filtered through thick fog. Next time I head down, I'll aim for a fine day - maybe Monday, which is currently forecast to be fine. Though you might be out of town?

I can appreciate that the new stops they're putting in are nice platform stops and all that, but I like the traditional ground level ones and don't want them ripped up! :grumpy:

I would hazard a guess that his terrorism essay will be on... terrorism?

:D

:reject:

Yeah, may well be out of town Monday, if the U23D thing doesn't happen.

Progress FTL. And no, not Faster Than Light (although that could be true, too).

Oh, it's a madhouse alright.

What are you doing your Terrorism essay on?

I'm doing the religion one, obviously, cause it's me, looking at Jemaah Islamiyah, which is a lot more complex than I'd thought. Probably gonna start writing it tomorrow.

I would hazard a guess that his terrorism essay will be on... terrorism?

:D

:reject:

Yeah, may well be out of town Monday, if the U23D thing doesn't happen.

Progress FTL. And no, not Faster Than Light (although that could be true, too).

:laugh:

What's the deal with U2 3D at the moment? What showing's been suggested?

I'm doing the religion one, obviously, cause it's me, looking at Jemaah Islamiyah, which is a lot more complex than I'd thought. Probably gonna start writing it tomorrow.

Ah, of course. I'm bogged down. I can't come up with a good topic for the Rainbow Warrior, but I don't like any of the six assigned options ... at least I have until the 20th.

Ah, of course. I'm bogged down. I can't come up with a good topic for the Rainbow Warrior, but I don't like any of the six assigned options ... at least I have until the 20th.

Fair enough. Although I suppose the media coverage one could work for you...

Nothing much. I still say Maj. should just pick one and those of us with no lives will just show up then. :wink:

Hi Maj. and LMPA! :wave:

:lol: Yeah, that sounds like a good idea! As I said when this came up earlier, I'm good for anything that isn't Friday night.

And this is confusing: we have an LM, an LMP, and an LMPA!

Nothing much. I still say Maj. should just pick one and those of us with no lives will just show up then. :wink:

Hi Maj. and LMPA! :wave:

Hey Ali! :wave:

The only time that'll really be good for me would be... After 8.30 on a Monday night or... uhm... yeah, that's pretty much it. It's mainly cause I'm on the brink of failing Developmental Psych (which is sooooo surprising, given the amount of total enthusiasm I've demonstrated for the subject).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom