Alphabet City, Manhattan, New York Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for balance, here's a REAL tram on LaTrobe Street, SW5 728. I believe this is the oldest tram in regular service in Melbourne today, dating from the late 1930s (the SW5s in the 840-49 sequence were introduced in 1939-40, so presumably 728 was a bit earlier than that).

s640x480

:love: we used to have those running down Chapel Street near my high school, not sure if we still do. We always wondered why the oldest trams were running down one of the most high-profile streets in Melbourne...

Scared is all. I just want the job. Don't know if I'm going to get it even though I have every reason to believe I will.

Nice! :up: Just be confident, I suppose. But not too confident. But then again, confidence might be good.

Actually, just be yourself. Unless you don't like yourself, in which case don't.

:wink:

Because it's a classic look.

Yes, classically bad. When the paint's flaking off and the bell-pull is rotting leather and the train vibrates harder than... well, something that vibrates hard, you somehow just know you're not on the best tram in the world.

Ax, I have a question for you. One of the L trains in Chicago derailed last week, and they said it was the drivers fault. I ddin't have time to read the article, because I saw it in someone's hand while I was at work, but do you have any idea how that is possible at all? The train runs on a track....

Could have been any number of factors really. If it were a single train incident, i.e. it didn't crash into any others, then the most likely cause would be excessive speed causing the train to leave the rails. Alternatively, the driver could have ignored a signal (that is often the cause of multiple train collisions) and hit ... well, in railway jargon, hit a set of trailing points set against his train. At slow speeds, it is sometimes possible to pass through those without derailing (although it fucks up the track and is not exactly a good idea), but at any decent speed, it'll likely send the train off the tracks.

To try to put that into non-gunzel speak ... one track splits into two at a set of points. When you are coming from the one track and it is about to split into two, then the points are facing you ("facing points"). If you are on one of the two tracks about to become one, then as you cross the points, they will be trailing behind you ("trailing points"). If you happen to come from one of the tracks but the trailing points are set for a train travelling to or from the OTHER track, then a piece of steel is going to be obstructing your train's wheels and the result is not going to be pretty.

Yes, classically bad. When the paint's flaking off and the bell-pull is rotting leather and the train vibrates harder than... well, something that vibrates hard, you somehow just know you're not on the best tram in the world.

Well sure, but that's from close up...

the train vibrates harder than... well, something that vibrates hard

Go on, just say it.

If you happen to come from one of the tracks but the trailing points are set for a train travelling to or from the OTHER track, then a piece of steel is going to be obstructing your train's wheels and the result is not going to be pretty.

In other words,

traincrash.jpg

:love: we used to have those running down Chapel Street near my high school, not sure if we still do. We always wondered why the oldest trams were running down one of the most high-profile streets in Melbourne...

Yeah, you still regularly see various W class trams on route 78/79 (though today, when I was at the intersection of High and Chapel Streets, a Z3 was on route 78 duties). At the moment, the only routes routinely operated by the W class are route 30, the City Circle, and routes 78/79. I think the main reason they stay on 78/79 is that it's one of the few lines that's simply cross-suburban and does NOT go into the CBD, so it can run at a more sedate pace. The Ws don't quite have the acceleration that the newer trams do.

Could have been any number of factors really. If it were a single train incident, i.e. it didn't crash into any others, then the most likely cause would be excessive speed causing the train to leave the rails. Alternatively, the driver could have ignored a signal (that is often the cause of multiple train collisions) and hit ... well, in railway jargon, hit a set of trailing points set against his train. At slow speeds, it is sometimes possible to pass through those without derailing (although it fucks up the track and is not exactly a good idea), but at any decent speed, it'll likely send the train off the tracks.

To try to put that into non-gunzel speak ... one track splits into two at a set of points. When you are coming from the one track and it is about to split into two, then the points are facing you ("facing points"). If you are on one of the two tracks about to become one, then as you cross the points, they will be trailing behind you ("trailing points"). If you happen to come from one of the tracks but the trailing points are set for a train travelling to or from the OTHER track, then a piece of steel is going to be obstructing your train's wheels and the result is not going to be pretty.

:ohmy: I understood you. :lol:

well I went to check, looks like option a:

A veteran CTA train motorman apparently disobeyed a red "stop" signal and overruled equipment that triggered the emergency brakes, resulting in a derailment Wednesday high above the ground, according to a preliminary investigation by transit officials.

Yeah, you still regularly see various W class trams on route 78/79 (though today, when I was at the intersection of High and Chapel Streets, a Z3 was on route 78 duties). At the moment, the only routes routinely operated by the W class are route 30, the City Circle, and routes 78/79. I think the main reason they stay on 78/79 is that it's one of the few lines that's simply cross-suburban and does NOT go into the CBD, so it can run at a more sedate pace. The Ws don't quite have the acceleration that the newer trams do.

That's fair, but you don't really want, say, Andre Agassi or Bono or whoever on a rickety old tram on their way to Chapel Street now, do you? I mean, it won't give them the best impression of Melbourne ever.

Besides, they vibrate like heavy-duty pneumatic power drills. :wink:

:lol: Yeah, some of the Ws still in the green and cream livery of The Met could do with a bit of a touch-up on their paint job. Though they still look beautiful.

s640x480

W6 992, introduced all the way back in July 1953. :drool:

So to counteract some of the trains and trams Ax has been posting, I've just found out what I want for Christmas:

kr0035.jpg

Hell, screw Christmas, I want them now!

:ohmy: I understood you. :lol:

well I went to check, looks like option a:

:lol: Awesome.

And what a twit! I like Melbourne's latest controversial train driver action though: at Glenhuntly station, as a train approached, some girl ran out across the tracks in front of it. She then proceeded to catch the train - and the driver refused to leave the station until she got off! Apparently the police were called and the train sat there for 20 minutes, with other services backing up behind it!

That's fair, but you don't really want, say, Andre Agassi or Bono or whoever on a rickety old tram on their way to Chapel Street now, do you? I mean, it won't give them the best impression of Melbourne ever.

Besides, they vibrate like heavy-duty pneumatic power drills. :wink:

Somehow, I don't think Andre Agassi or Bono's going to be travelling by tram in the first place. :wink:

I love riding the Ws, but yeah, they're pretty loud compared to the newer ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom