Alphabet City, Manhattan, New York Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the positives of this site has been that it has exposed me to a lot of artists I'd not have heard of....bands like The National, Okkervil River, Kasabian, LCD Soundsystem, hell, this board even got me to listen to Muse.....

This board really shaped my music listening: David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Arcade Fire, Porcupine Tree, Ours ... etc.

Oh, don't get me wrong. The first album is a great debut, but it's got two songs that, IMO, kinda suck - Mary, Queen Of Arkansas and The Angel.

So I guess "mixed bag" isn't the best wording, as it's great except for those two.

E Street Shuffle is classic all the way through, though.
:lol: poor arkansas. i've not listened to that album in a while, maybe i need a refresher course to see what tracks are weak :hmm:

Yeah, I pretty much got into the really good stuff on my own and through my friends.

I learned about a number of my favorite artists (including U2, Beatles, Zeppelin, Bowie) through my parents, but my tastes would be thin without forums like this.

My mother loves Christmas music. She owns more Christmas albums than she does any other album.

I don't think they drag at all. I think the songs work very well as they are.

DSOTM is right behind WYWH for me, with Animals third.

Purely an opinion thing, of course.

Songs like Time leave me wanting more (Gilmour's verses absolutely fucking rock), whereas Animals tracks are definitely enough, if not a bit too much for me.

Animals is underrated, methinks. It's better than Wish You Were Here, which is dragged down by Welcome to the Machine and Have a Cigar.

Yeah, I don't like Welcome To The Machine much either. WYWH is a step up over the Wall, but lower than Animals, Meddle, and DSOTM.

I like THE EXCEPTION

You like the "no music, no politics, just sports" method?

THE EXCEPTION is an EXCEPTIONal sports coach, I might add: baseball and basketball. Very well respected and successful in the youth sports leagues of the area. Thought you'd like that.

You like the "no music, no politics, just sports" method?

THE EXCEPTION is an EXCEPTIONal sports coach, I might add: baseball and basketball. Very well respected and successful in the youth sports leagues of the area. Thought you'd like that.

You know that I gots to have my music in my life, but at least he's not loading up on XMas tunes. I assumed he was liked/respected as a coach, do not ask me why.

Yeah, I don't like Welcome To The Machine much either. WYWH is a step up over the Wall, but lower than Animals, Meddle, and DSOTM.

I tend to agree.

I really didn't like The Wall much. That's where Waters crossed that line into sacrificing quality of the songs for the concept.

I mean, even if some are important to the plot, at least a good chunk should stand well on its own. Very little of that album does. And it's not really all that good together anyway.

I need to give Meddle another spin. And I'm interested in hearing Atom Heart Mother courtesy of Summer '68 being a great track.

which is awesome :yippie: but that's soooo not representative of their work.

if i had to sum up split enz in three songs (which is hard cuz they spanned so many genres or whatever): spellbound (off their debut mental notes), i got you (off true colours cuz everyone fucking loves it), and dirty creature (off time and tide because it's awesome).

and ha. one song by each vocalist. i didn't even try!

Last edited:
A Charlie Brown Christmas is my holiday vice. Fucking great record. Most other Christmas music feels drab and repetitive to me after December 10th or so, but that one is good for the jazz enthusiast any time of year.

You know that I gots to have my music in my life, but at least he's not loading up on XMas tunes. I assumed he was liked/respected as a coach, do not ask me why.

He's a very involved coach in that he's on top of the play and directing as it happens (which is why, even when he's an assistant, teams always make him the third base coach in baseball). Rarely does he involve the refs.

Though when he does, it's quite amusing. Like the time at a basketball game where he took a red towel he had in his pocket to wipe off his clipboard to "challenge" a call.

He didn't get T'd up for that either. He got his first T saying "You gotta call it both ways." I find that amusing.

I tend to agree.

I really didn't like The Wall much. That's where Waters crossed that line into sacrificing quality of the songs for the concept.

I mean, even if some are important to the plot, at least a good chunk should stand well on its own. Very little of that album does. And it's not really all that good together anyway.

I need to give Meddle another spin. And I'm interested in hearing Atom Heart Mother courtesy of Summer '68 being a great track.

I like The Wall just fine, but it's a mood thing. It's not something that can be played at all times, and it has more than its share of filler.

You really should check out Atom Heart Mother, but don't expect to love it. I think it's great, but definitely not for everyone.

He's a very involved coach in that he's on top of the play and directing as it happens (which is why, even when he's an assistant, teams always make him the third base coach in baseball). Rarely does he involve the refs.

Though when he does, it's quite amusing. Like the time at a basketball game where he took a red towel he had in his pocket to wipe off his clipboard to "challenge" a call.

He didn't get T'd up for that either. He got his first T saying "You gotta call it both ways." I find that amusing.

Sounds like kids are lucky to play ball for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom