Alphabet City, Manhattan, New York Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a list that I tend to repeat over and over, but I'll give some other albums some love this time:

1. The Beatles - Abbey Road
2. Radiohead - OK Computer
3. U2 - Zooropa
4. Steely Dan - Aja
5. Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy
6. David Bowie - Station To Station
7. The Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society
8. REM - Automatic For The People
9. Beck - Midnite Vultures
10. Pink Floyd - Animals
the first thing that sticks out:

fuck i love aja. i think i'll listen to it now.

Not yet. I feel like I'm going to be disappointed in anything else.

He's consistently a quality artist. The romantic in you would love his first two albums too: both similar themes. Especially the final trio of Wild/Innocent/E Street Shuffle.

I blame my parents for most of it. I mean, really, their album collection is atrocious. My father listens to no music and owns no CDs, and my mother has a scattered assortment of greatest hits albums and Christmas music (mostly the latter). My brothers are no help either.

I grew up with just my mother, and she never bought albums - only singles. And my earliest memory is the late 70's, so we're talking mostly disco stuff. It's quite hilarious now that I think back on it. I remember Stayin' Alive in heavy rotation on the record player. :lol:

Then I got more exposure in 1981 thanks to MTV (you know, when they actually played fucking music). That channel was so much fun back then.

I have a list that I tend to repeat over and over, but I'll give some other albums some love this time:

3. U2 - Zooropa
4. Steely Dan - Aja
10. Pink Floyd - Animals

The Kinks are that high, eh?

I grew up with just my mother, and she never bought albums - only singles. And my earliest member is the late 70's, so we're talking mostly disco stuff. It's quite hilarious now that I think back on it. I remember Stayin' Alive in heavy rotation on the record player. :lol:

Then I got more exposure in 1981 thanks to MTV (you know, when they actually played fucking music). That channel was so much fun back then.

I give my mother credit: I got into two artists thanks to her - U2 and Bruce Springsteen. She owned The Best of 1980-1990 and Born to Run.

But if I watched MTV today, I'd be enjoying classics like:

Apple bottom jeans
Boots with the fur
The whole club
Was looking at her
She hit the floor
Next thing you know
Shawty got low
Low, low, low, low, low, low

And an episode of Real World.

3. U2 - Zooropa
4. Steely Dan - Aja
10. Pink Floyd - Animals

Automatic For The People is pretty meh to me. I do agree about Animals though.

Aja....awesome.

My parents listened to a lot of Motown, which I'm thankful for. They liked the Beatles a lot, too. Besides that, some 70's rock from my Dad, meh. I got into music big-time on my own, basically. Well, my best friend's brother used to listen to a lot of college radio, so, got early exposure to "alternative" music.......

I grew up with just my mother, and she never bought albums - only singles. And my earliest memory is the late 70's, so we're talking mostly disco stuff. It's quite hilarious now that I think back on it. I remember Stayin' Alive in heavy rotation on the record player. :lol:

ugh. i miss mtv. i can't remember when exactly we got cable, but i remember watching friday night videos when i was a kid.

then i jumped ship to vh1 in the mid 90s cuz, you know, they showed videos. but now they are just one giant reality tv station.

as for the music i grew up on, it was soul music, classic rock (although back then it was just rock, lol), some prog stuff - both my parents like various prog artists, and then all the big 80s artists. when i was a kid, i thought new moon on monday was by david bowie :giggle:

Animals is underrated, methinks. It's better than Wish You Were Here, which is dragged down by Welcome to the Machine and Have a Cigar.

The first one is a mixed bag, IMO, but yes, Screwtape should definitely check out The Wild, The Innocent, And The E Street Shuffle next.
awww. i liked the first album. i liked e street shuffle better (i thought it was great), but i don't think there was a bad song on the first album.

Aja....awesome.

My parents listened to a lot of Motown, which I'm thankful for. They liked the Beatles a lot, too. Besides that, some 70's rock from my Dad, meh. I got into music big-time on my own, basically. Well, my best friend's brother used to listen to a lot of college radio, so, got early exposure to "alternative" music.......

Yeah, I pretty much got into the really good stuff on my own and through my friends.

Animals is underrated, methinks. It's better than Wish You Were Here, which is dragged down by Welcome to the Machine and Have a Cigar.

Animals is Pink Floyd's crowning acievement. It is the perfect mix of Roger Waters's storytelling and the band's great music.

Wish You Were Here is dragged down the title track. Other than that it is an okay record.

awww. i liked the first album. i liked e street shuffle better (i thought it was great), but i don't think there was a bad song on the first album.

Mary, Queen of Arkansas is very meh to me.

Some good tunes on there, though: Blinded by the Light, For You, Spirit in the Night, Lost in the Flood, IHTBASITC, Growin' Up ...

Yeah, I pretty much got into the really good stuff on my own and through my friends.

One of the positives of this site has been that it has exposed me to a lot of artists I'd not have heard of....bands like The National, Okkervil River, Kasabian, LCD Soundsystem, hell, this board even got me to listen to Muse.....

Oh, don't get me wrong. The first album is a great debut, but it's got two songs that, IMO, kinda suck - Mary, Queen Of Arkansas and The Angel.

So I guess "mixed bag" isn't the best wording, as it's great except for those two.

E Street Shuffle is classic all the way through, though.

Dark Side of the Moon is the best Pink Floyd album, IMO. Very consistent, and doesn't drag, whereas I think Animals drags a little bit in the three long tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom