Alphabet City, Manhattan, New York Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We used to have electric trolley's running all through Los Angeles. The mother:censored: auto companies, tire co's, oil co's all conspired with local politicians through the 50's and had them all torn out. Tracks and all. Now we're eating it, driving freakin' cars everywhere, that still only run on the pus of the earth, at $5 per gallon.

Those are sweet ass trams you got going over there. We should have a decent system back in place here in about 5 decades. I'll be long dead and buried. I remember the remnants of the electric cars when I was a wee child.

So to counteract some of the trains and trams Ax has been posting, I've just found out what I want for Christmas:

kr0035.jpg

Hell, screw Christmas, I want them now!

I want this for Christmas, but I somehow don't think I'll be getting it:

s640x480

Somehow, I don't think Andre Agassi or Bono's going to be travelling by tram in the first place. :wink:

I love riding the Ws, but yeah, they're pretty loud compared to the newer ones.

True that. Bono'd probably arrive by U2nicorn. :shifty:

I'd love to see the band members on one of those old trams though, just to see their reactions. I can already see Larry's... :angry:

We used to have electric trolley's running all through Los Angeles. The mother:censored: auto companies, tire co's, oil co's all conspired with local politicians through the 50's and had them all torn out. Tracks and all. Now we're eating it, driving freakin' cars everywhere, that still only run on the pus of the earth, at $5 per gallon.

Those are sweet ass trams you got going over there. We should have a decent system back in place here in about 5 decades. I'll be long dead and buried. I remember the remnants of the electric cars when I was a wee child.

Bet the politicians're really, really regretting taking them out now...

:lol: Awesome.

And what a twit! I like Melbourne's latest controversial train driver action though: at Glenhuntly station, as a train approached, some girl ran out across the tracks in front of it. She then proceeded to catch the train - and the driver refused to leave the station until she got off! Apparently the police were called and the train sat there for 20 minutes, with other services backing up behind it!

wow. Who was in the right in the situation do you believe? I mean, it seems like they both did something equally stupid.

I want this for Christmas, but I somehow don't think I'll be getting it:

s640x480

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you won't be getting it too.

Although, remember the guy who sold his really old trains back to the Government or whatever? Go make friends with him, see if he'll buy you a tram. You can live in it and everything!

Most of the Western world got fucked, really. It amazes me just how quickly cities across the UK, US, Australia, and New Zealand were to rip up their tram network. And now the fools are paying for it! Melbourne only managed to keep its because its chairman in the 1950s pointblank refused to shut it down, and capitalised on the city being awarded the 1956 Olympics to get more trams and more lines built to cater with the influx of traffic.

Off to watch the Raconteurs on Conan, then hit the hay. I think this was the most posts I've ever done here. Catch y'all tomorrow :)

wow. Who was in the right in the situation do you believe? I mean, it seems like they both did something equally stupid.

I'd say the driver's well within his rights to refuse to carry a passenger who he has just witnessed commit an illegal act. It's a bit of a prickish thing to collectively punish everybody else on the train for that one person's stupidity, though.

I'd say the driver's well within his rights to refuse to carry a passenger who he has just witnessed commit an illegal act. It's a bit of a prickish thing to collectively punish everybody else on the train for that one person's stupidity, though.

Yeah. Usually the driver just yells for a bit then keeps going.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you won't be getting it too.

Although, remember the guy who sold his really old trains back to the Government or whatever? Go make friends with him, see if he'll buy you a tram. You can live in it and everything!

:lol: It's amazing how many heritage trains are in service today. A couple of Elecrail's Hitachi multiple units have been pressed back into service. And on the freight network, some heritage diesels are operating again! Today, I photographed S 311 and T 386 at Creek Sidings by North Melbourne - they were both originally retired in 1993 (built around 1960) but put back into service a few years back.

:lol: It's amazing how many heritage trains are in service today. A couple of Elecrail's Hitachi multiple units have been pressed back into service. And on the freight network, some heritage diesels are operating again! Today, I photographed S 311 and T 386 at Creek Sidings by North Melbourne - they were both originally retired in 1993 (built around 1960) but put back into service a few years back.

Wow, tells you something about the state of the public transport system round these parts, eh?

That's how I figure it.

Yeah, we're pretty fortunate in that we still have our trams and trains. Pity the service provider for trains is crap and more focused on getting money than providing a good service though!

I honestly dislike how Connex receives a lot of crap, because a lot of what they are blamed for is actually the fault of the Department of Infrastructure. But since everybody likes to hate on Connex, politicians and civil servants who SHOULD be held accountable are getting away with a lot more slackness than they should. Decisions need to be made in a hurry and a lot of money committed to expand the network and build more trains, but while the public is fixated on Connex, that's going to take longer. Connex's main problem is just that they suck at PR immensely.

I mean, it's simply inexcusable that Melbourne has not got hundreds of new trains on order (18 will barely make a dent!), that the Clifton Hill group of lines has not been massively upgraded, that quadruplication to Dandenong has not been done, that the Epping line has not been extended to Mernda, that the Doncaster line has not been built, etc., etc. And those are ALL the responsibility of the Department of Infrastructure and our dear Minister Kosky.

I honestly dislike how Connex receives a lot of crap, because a lot of what they are blamed for is actually the fault of the Department of Infrastructure. But since everybody likes to hate on Connex, politicians and civil servants who SHOULD be held accountable are getting away with a lot more slackness than they should. Decisions need to be made in a hurry and a lot of money committed to expand the network and build more trains, but while the public is fixated on Connex, that's going to take longer. Connex's main problem is just that they suck at PR immensely.

I mean, it's simply inexcusable that Melbourne has not got hundreds of new trains on order (18 will barely make a dent!), that the Clifton Hill group of lines has not been massively upgraded, that quadruplication to Dandenong has not been done, that the Epping line has not been extended to Mernda, that the Doncaster line has not been built, etc., etc. And those are ALL the responsibility of the Department of Infrastructure and our dear Minister Kosky.

Oh, don't worry, Kosky is definitely at the top of my hate list. Connex is just the obvious thing to point the finger at.

Wow, tells you something about the state of the public transport system round these parts, eh?

Yeah - it's good that the traffic's there and growing, to warrant such drastic action, but it's pretty damning that the investment is not there to buy NEW rolling stock and that they need to scramble for help from the preservation groups or bring back old locos that had been withdrawn but not yet scrapped.

I am madly in love with the S class locos still operating, though. They're stunningly beautiful locomotives. We had locos like them in New Zealand, the DG class, and they last operated in 1983. But here? I photographed S 311 repeatedly today. :drool:

Ah, damn it, I'm almost at the point of just forgetting about uni and doing the things that I want to do.

Why can't I just get my degree already. :sad:

Oh, don't worry, Kosky is definitely at the top of my hate list. Connex is just the obvious thing to point the finger at.

It never ceases to amaze me how utterly USELESS Kosky is at her job. I have a hard time thinking of equally incompetent politicians. She'd at least fit in well on Bush's cabinet.

And how's this? Brumby to steer transport scheme:

A $20 billion transport action plan for Melbourne is being personally crafted by Premier John Brumby and will be unveiled later this year.

The plan is likely to include new land reservations for future road and rail expansion; measures to increase the capacity of the existing system, including better links between different modes of transport; and listing of principal transport projects for which Victoria will seek federal funding.

It is also expected to tackle the high level of greenhouse gas emissions from transport in Victoria.

Public Transport Minister Lynne Kosky and Roads Minister Tim Pallas are assisting the Premier with the plan. Meredith Sussex, who led the State Government's Office of Commonwealth Games Co-ordination, is believed to be orchestrating the blueprint in the Department of Transport.

The Brumby plan is expected to be released in November as part of the Government's broader response to Sir Rod Eddington's east-west transport inquiry.

Kosky is ASSISTING the Premier. In other words, "you can't do the job yourself, so we'll just say you're my assistant".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom