Allergies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My allergies seem less bothersome since I started eating lots of plain yogurt, not to mention it's helped clear out my sinus problems that Allegra didn't help. Lactobacillus Acidophilus bacteria, which are considered to be "friendly bacteria," are theorized to alleviate certain kinds of allergies.

It's worth a try, at least, as long as you like plain yogurt. Flavored yogurt, which is what most people eat, generally doesn't have active bacteria cultures, so it's pretty useless for this purpose.

Some info about the bacteria for those interested:

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/Lactobacillusacidophiluscs.html

Melon

melon said:
My allergies seem less bothersome since I started eating lots of plain yogurt, not to mention it's helped clear out my sinus problems that Allegra didn't help. Lactobacillus Acidophilus bacteria, which are considered to be "friendly bacteria," are theorized to alleviate certain kinds of allergies.

There is a paper which shows that the presence of lactobacillus increases the production of interferon gamma, which would then explain why allergic responses are modulated (ie. downgraded).

At the same time, the research shows that despite the claims that it also helps alleviate asthma, there is no data to support it, which is a little surprising, but the research doesn't seem to be hugely extensive.

I'm lactose intolerant, but taking them freeze dried instead of having yogurt sounds like a reasonable option.

anitram said:
At the same time, the research shows that despite the claims that it also helps alleviate asthma, there is no data to support it, which is a little surprising, but the research doesn't seem to be hugely extensive.

Of course. Pharmaceutical companies and hospitals would probably crap their pants if something as unpatentable as bacteria solved asthma. But, at the same time, asthma is certainly quite more severe than your average allergy. So who knows; but it would be nice to get more research in this arena.

I'm lactose intolerant, but taking them freeze dried instead of having yogurt sounds like a reasonable option.

Well, but there seems to be the irony about all this. L. Acidophilus produces the enzyme to break down lactose, so some of the stuff I've read about this bacteria seems to conclude that even the lactose intolerant could eat yogurt, as long as it had active cultures of this bacteria.

But, yes, there's always the freeze dried option. I've seen the supplements, and they're always refrigerated in the health food stores I've been to.

Melon

In theory I should be able to eat yogurt but in reality I won't even get into the details of the sort of suffering I've experienced in the past when doing so, lol.

I think the problem is that your intestines basically revolt sooner than the (relatively small amount of) lactilobacillus can effectively produce enough lactase to counteract the effects.

Merc said:

Damn! I knew there was something I forgot! :banghead: :wink:

Are you also in "the business"? :nerd:

I'm a pharmacist but not w/ industry. Your name tells me you are either a rep. or liason?

Last edited:
gherman said:
Merc. I thought it might be a playoff on names. Marc and Merck put together or something:shrug:

I thought you might work for Merck:huh:

:lol:

No, it's short for Mercury! :D Was a huge Queen and Freddie Mercury fan in my early teens and "Merc" is the name I've signed up on different boards since then and I decided to use it here too! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom