All-Time Favorite Scene From A Movie - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2007, 05:12 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 03:53 PM

Old 10-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

"Baby, you are gonna miss that plane."

Yes!!!

Top 5 endings ever.

Lance, great mention of The Age of Innocence's final scene. The light reflecting off the window and the flashback to the lake, the music, the birds, the walk off screen. Perfection. In a million years Spielberg isn't capable of an ending like that. Same with your Magnolia mention. For Once Upon a Time...I'd probably say the scene where old Noodles finally sees Deborah again in the dressing room after her show, or maybe the scene when they're kids and she reads the Song of Songs to him. Major Morricone Moment.

And I'm finding it very, very hard to top monkeyskin's contribution.

Probably have to go with this first, as geeky as it is:

The English Patient--The flying scene at the beginning with the two Tiger Moth planes. Or maybe the scene with Hana & Kip in the cathedral. Gabriel Yared is a god.

Once Upon a Time in the West--when Jill arrives at the beginning, no one is there to pick her up, and the camera cranes over the train station for the establishing shot as she walks into the bustling pioneer town. Again, Morricone makes this magical.

Vetrigo--James Stewart tails Kim Novak around San Francisco, about 10 minutes nearly dialogue-free.

Days of Heaven--the locust storm.

The New World--the final 5 minutes. just an orgy of images and music. Unbelievable.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:29 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

Lance, great mention of The Age of Innocence's final scene. The light reflecting off the window and the flashback to the lake, the music, the birds, the walk off screen. Perfection. In a million years Spielberg isn't capable of an ending like that. Same with your Magnolia mention. For Once Upon a Time...I'd probably say the scene where old Noodles finally sees Deborah again in the dressing room after her show, or maybe the scene when they're kids and she reads
Totally. That scene in AOI absolutely blew me away. Same for Claudia's smile in Magnolia. Couldn't have filmed a more perfect shot to end on.

As for OUATIA, I thought about posting both of those scenes you mentioned, but like I said, any one scene from that film is beyond perfect. I'm really in love with the whole sequence from when Middle-Aged Noodles enters the train station, and dissolves to old Noodles, then goes back to the bar. Then we get that magnificant dissolve to young Noodles, and the beautiful scene with Deborah.

God damn. That's great filmmaking.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Saving Private Ryan (Greatest War Film Ever)

Not even close, brother.

The Big Red One
The Steel Helmet
Platoon

^^ Written and directed by people who ACTUALLY FOUGHT IN A WAR.

Paths of Glory
Apocalypse Now
The Thin Red Line
The Sand Pebbles

^^ Films that portay the insanity and dehumanization of war, instead of acting as flag-waving (waving in SPR, literally!) propaganda for the military and telling us how killing people is heroic.

...to name a few better ones.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:42 PM   #21
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13

I love you, Christopher Guest. If you haven't seen Waiting for Guffman, you're missing one of my favorite comedies ever:
Old 10-22-2007, 05:43 PM   #22
Neon Zebra

Quote:
Yes!!!

Top 5 endings ever.
I had fallen in love with the first film nine years earlier and wasn't exactly sold on the idea of a sequel. But as I watched it I realized I was watching one of the most brilliant continuing stories ever put on film, and I loved it. At the end, after she said that line, I gasped as the screen went black.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:46 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

I had fallen in love with the first film nine years earlier and wasn't exactly sold on the idea of a sequel. But as I watched it I realized I was watching one of the most brilliant continuing stories ever put on film, and I loved it. At the end, after she said that line, I gasped as the screen went black.

The other great "scene" in that film (it's kind of one long scene, isn't it?) is when they're on the boat and Jesse is talkng and Celine reaches out to touch him as he's looking away, and she pulls back her hand before he sees. Perfect.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:48 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:53 PM
Quote:

Not even close, brother.

The Big Red One
The Steel Helmet
Platoon

^^ Written and directed by people who ACTUALLY FOUGHT IN A WAR.

Paths of Glory
Apocalypse Now
The Thin Red Line
The Sand Pebbles

^^ Films that portay the insanity and dehumanization of war, instead of acting as flag-waving (waving in SPR, literally!) propaganda for the military and telling us how killing people is heroic.

...to name a few better ones.
Are you insane? SPR was not a propaganda film about telling people that killing other is heroic! It's the exact opposite You see the struggles the soldiers go through. Terrence Malik who directed The Thin Red Line was not a soldier and neither was Francis Ford Coppola. I have never seen Sand Pebbles or Paths of Glory. So I can't judge those. Platoon is a great film but not as great as SPR.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:59 PM   #25
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:53 PM
Saving Private Ryan is vastly overrated, and this is coming from a huge Spielberg fan.

Anyway, some of my favorite scenes that haven't already been said:

The blood test scene from 'The Thing'

"Puttin' on the Ritz" from 'Young Frankenstein':

The greatest line in film history right here:
Old 10-22-2007, 06:06 PM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 08:53 PM
Justin24 - laz didn't say Mallick and Coppola were soldiers, just Stone and Fuller.

I don't usually get one with war films, with only Paths of Glory, Apocalypse Now and All Quiet on the Western Front really interesting me. On the other hand I like films that show what happens away from the front line, such as Grave of the Fireflies and Empire of the Sun. Just personal taste.

And another cheer for the end to Before Sunset. I'm tempted to hope for a third film in a few years time if they can make it work, but the two so far are perfect to revisit. I love the scene in the first one when they're in the listening booth and starting to realise how attracted they are to one another...

Another great moment: in Rear Window when the guy across the street stares straight into Jimmy Stewart's camera lens / right at the viewer.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #27
Neon Zebra

Quote:
The other great "scene" in that film (it's kind of one long scene, isn't it?) is when they're on the boat and Jesse is talkng and Celine reaches out to touch him as he's looking away, and she pulls back her hand before he sees. Perfect.
Yes. I love that. It happens when they're in the taxi. Another scene that I think is filmed so beautifully is when they are going up to Celine's apartment. She picks up a cat and strokes it as they slowly climb the stairs. The cat is a soft, sensual thing between them - a soft, sensual thing with claws. Again, a little detail that is so perfect.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:13 PM   #28
Refugee

Local Time: 08:53 PM
Aside from the opening sequence, I find Saving Private Ryan incredibly nauseating. I can only swallow so much cheese before wanting to throw up (no, not that kind of cheese, pervert).

Platoon, now there's a war movie. The final scene stills haunts me.

Last couple of scenes:

Candy (opening sequence)

I watched this film alone in the cinema when the rest of the audience walked - including my date (her loss, I guess). This scene really creeped me out. Still does in fact.

Un Coeur en Hiver
Old 10-22-2007, 06:16 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

for lance and anyone else with a heart:

this was the only clue available on youtube, and it's emotionally wrenching to watch. such a great film.

if you haven't see the film yet, watch out, there's spoilers.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Slapnutz
Aside from the opening sequence, I find Saving Private Ryan incredibly nauseating. I can only swallow so much cheese before wanting to throw up (no, not that kind of cheese, pervert).

Platoon, now there's a war movie. The final scene stills haunts me.
I will agree with you on the final scence of Platoon. SPR is not a cheese fest. Are you saying it's to pro-american or to much pro-War?