All Things Australia-ish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: i sooooo wanted to, but i thought if i'm on a quasi-date here i better not get one. in future i'll just stick to hot chocolate.

I'm trying to figure out why hot chocolates and quasi-dates don't go together. :huh:

Aaaaaand Melbourne is officially the world's second most liveable city :D

Behind Vancouver, which I don't mind at all. Beautiful city.

:up:

Clearly must've been compiled by non-Melburnians, given the way Melburnians complain about EVERYTHING. Listen to Melburnians talk and you'll soon think there is not a single safe suburb, everywhere is unaffordably expensive, and the public transport runs 10 hours late, if it shows up at all.

But I suppose this is true of anywhere. Locals are overly harsh and visitors are overly generous. The truth usually lies somewhere in between.

as for the penguins on Phillip Island... what an extortion that is. the place is like built like a mini-fucking-airport and the penguins are about 30cm tall and you can only see them from 50 metres away.

I've never had any desire to see penguins at Phillip Island even back when we just arrived and did all the touristy things around Melbourne.

The thread got moved?

And what's with the coffee hate? I luuurrvvvveeee coffee, though being a wog I was fed it since I was a wee babe. And can't remember who mentioned the English Breakfast tea, had an ex-boyfriend who didn't like coffee and loved EBT. Probably explains why he's an ex. :lol:

The number of threads on LS that I read regularly just fell by 100%.

just woke up from a nap and heard the news and saw some video.

hopefully other Australians can still stumble upon this thread. i feel that it's quite good.

my heart goes out to New Zealanders... 10km south of the city :yikes:

Dammit, now I have ti work out how to add the discotheque forum to the list of shown forums. I only see about 6 of them. And the kitty onwt leave my fingers Aline. I had a hamuiu sandwich for lunch,. I must smell awesome.
:rolleyes:

Fuck. The carnage in Christchurch is incredible. The Cathedral's spire has collapsed. The Press's roof has totally collapsed. Colombo St sounds utterly fucked. Just watching ABC News 24 now, people being rescued from the Pyne Gould Guinness building, the floors have just pancaked in on themselves.

Fatalities at the YHA building in the CBD, a bookshop in Riccarton, probably on Colombo St ...

Luckily most of my family is accounted for; they've just got some property damage. Still waiting to hear from a couple of people though.

And now there have been some significant aftershocks. :crack:

Thanks for the move, Khanda!

hopefully other Australians can still stumble upon this thread. i feel that it's quite good.

my heart goes out to New Zealanders... 10km south of the city :yikes:

I think this is a more appropriate place for new Aussie members, as well as the old hats. I hope that's cool, just thinking of non-Oceanian posters here. ;) Maybe it should have a /NZ in the title too?

5km I heard, and at noon... fuck fuck fuck. I hope all friends/relatives are safe and there are as few casualties as possible.

Dammit, now I have ti work out how to add the discotheque forum to the list of shown forums. I only see about 6 of them. And the kitty onwt leave my fingers Aline. I had a hamuiu sandwich for lunch,. I must smell awesome.
:rolleyes:

Banana, did you get my email? Via Facebook? It was having a serious think about whether or not to send it to you. Let me know if not and will retry. :hyper:

Hang sandwiches :love:

I always thought that Discotheque was just for searching for penpals etc rather than a general ramble :D

I always thought that Discotheque was just for searching for penpals etc rather than a general ramble :D

Yeah, same. I don't really think this thread fits here? It's more just covering Aussie themes suited to LS and FYM.

Poor Christchurch. The news is saying 65 people dead!:|

And apparently it could go higher. Fucking hell.

Anybody seen anything from Lyttelton? The epicentre was there ... it's a pretty big suburb, and it's the port of Christchurch. If the port's significantly damaged, well, the economic consequences will be massive and long-lasting; it's the main deepwater harbour for the upper South Island. The only thing I've heard thus far is that the Port Hills tunnel is closed.

The news was also saying that people with 4WDs are going in to help move the injured as they have run out of ambulances. I think, over the last few weeks, with all that has been happening re natural disasters, the reports of the kindness and generosity of people has been phenomenal.

Just spoke with a friend who's family lives over there. Her sister has lost her house. Luckily, she was at a restaurant for lunch and hid under a table, but then had to make a run for it during the aftershock because the restaurant caught on fire. Headed to the park only to be soaked by mains water from burst pipes.

One of my relatives was driving a bus in New Brighton ... says it was basically just thrown off the road by the force of the quake.

Dreadful to think there were probably people up the spire of the Christchurch Cathedral when the quake hit ... god I hope they weren't, but it sounds like there may be bodies entombed in there.

Man, I just don't know what to say really. It's such a beautiful city, it doesn't deserve this. September was bad enough; this is something else entirely. Shades of Napier 1931 here ... which, spookily enough, just "celebrated" the 80th anniversary of that quake, the previous worst natural disaster on New Zealand soil.

It's hard to fathom. My mum, sister and nan stayed at the hotel across from the church with the big square in the front. The ABC was talking-to a woman earlier who was describing these strange eruption type things at her workplace, where sand just bubbled out of the cracks in the bitumen driveway. She was hysterical at the time, she'd been through the last one and had counseling to deal with it. She thought this one felt so much worse, and knew it was more devastating even as it was happening.

I'll check Facebook tan. It might be there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom