All the Wine...is all for me and the CSGW's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zee, there definitely are. I grew up in a town of 5,000, and it was virtually all-white. Sad, but true. And, it wasn't on purpose or anything, it's just how the town settled. But, that's why I love being in a city, because of the immense diversity of people, things, places, all of that. :up:

Yeah I lived in MN for a few years before moving out here for grad school... this is SO much different and I don't stand like I used to :lol:

I sometimes was the only non-white person in my class...

It is interesting seeing the difference between your class experiences and mine. I grew up in a military town (though my family had no connection to the armed forces) so people of all different backgrounds and races went to school with me.

Ah, okay, so much further north then. :up: :lol: Yep, I'm pretty used to being up now, so it's not so bad.

Really? I didn't know that, Justin. That's great though, I'm jealous you got those experiences firsthand. It was always one of my peeves with my high school that we didn't do outreach to meet people from different backgrounds and stuff, other than a diversity day/week. But, that was too controlled and contrived for me, personally, and I think it would've been more effective if we'd been able to go outside of the school, rather than being lectured at by various people about their communities.

:giggle: Man, sleep deprivation is sooo weird. How it affects you and makes you feel intoxicated without being under the influence. Not really fun though. :wink:

I'm working. Why are you up so late??

Really? I didn't know that, Justin. That's great though, I'm jealous you got those experiences firsthand. It was always one of my peeves with my high school that we didn't do outreach to meet people from different backgrounds and stuff, other than a diversity day/week. But, that was too controlled and contrived for me, personally, and I think it would've been more effective if we'd been able to go outside of the school, rather than being lectured at by various people about their communities.

The great part was that no one even gave the diversity a thought. It was just normal without pretty much any racial tensions. We were extremely lucky because we'd get 2 or 3 foreign exchange students every year. I knew most of the German ones that would come through. It was neat watching videos in German class and having one of the exchange students laugh at the absurdity of them. :D We'd have all the flags and names of exchange students hanging from the lunch room. There were Brazilian flags, Russian flags, French flags and a Japanese flag if I remember correctly. It was truly neat. :)

That said, military towns are terrible places in that all your friends leave after a year or two. I wouldn't recommend them. :down:

The great part was that no one even gave the diversity a thought. It was just normal without pretty much any racial tensions. We were extremely lucky because we'd get 2 or 3 foreign exchange students every year. I knew most of the German ones that would come through. It was neat watching videos in German class and having one of the exchange students laugh at the absurdity of them. :D We'd have all the flags and names of exchange students hanging from the lunch room. There were Brazilian flags, Russian flags, French flags and a Japanese flag if I remember correctly. It was truly neat. :)

That said, military towns are terrible places in that all your friends leave after a year or two. I wouldn't recommend them. :down:

We did get a few foreign exchange students a year, which was great. :up:

Yeah, I can imagine. I've never had the urge to live in one, and that'd be one of my main reasons for why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom