Alec Baldwin: Father of the Year - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 04-20-2007, 01:44 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 04:59 PM
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
Lots of parents lose their cool and yell at their kids. It happens. Hell, it's happened to me lots of times. It doesn't mean that I was abused or my parents hate me. Personally, I think kids who were never yelled at and who were handled with kid gloves can turn out to be some of the most screwed up kids because they grow up not knowing how to handle any sort of conflict and they end up freaking out at the smallest thing once they do grow up. But, I'm getting off-topic here.

We're failing to look at other factors, which may be he tried calling nine times previous and this was the call in which he finally lost it, she could be a complete brat who's using this as a way to get something, it could be Kim Basinger's doing. Who knows? Who cares? This is just something else bored people feel the need to pass judgement on.

^ see above

My dad once called me a bitch and slapped me. I laugh about it now because I *totally* deserved it. Now if he's ever famous someone will dig up this post and hold it against us!

I personally would not speak to a child that way, but we don't know the whole story and the story is none of our biznazz.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:44 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 02:59 PM
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy

It´s an overreaction because all he did was get upset. He pays the bills doesn´t he? He´s there for her? He doesn´t "beat" her with a belt (God forbid, right?). I just think that it´s really unfair to judge an angry person when you´re calm. It´s two different mindsets.

a parent calling their child derogatory names is verbal abuse. there is no excuse.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:01 PM   #33
Blue Crack Distributor
Originally posted by Bonochick

So now you're passing judgement on those of us who have opinions on this?

I've been yelled at by my parents...rightfully deserved...but I was never sworn at and called names. Big difference.
See Lie's post in response to mine. My mom and I once came to blows so badly she hit me but I was being a complete moron. Anyone who knows me even the slightest bit here knows I adore my mom - families fight, it happens, we get over it.

Also, I am not passing judgement; it's merely an observation. People can say whatever they want in response to the lives of celebrities. I'm posting in this thread so this essentially doesn't make me any "better" than any other poster in here, does it?

Old 04-20-2007, 02:07 PM   #34
Forum Moderator
Local Time: 05:59 PM

Well, I don't think what your mom and her dad did are okay either. However...I'm not passing judgement on either of them as a person in general, nor did I on Alec Baldwin. I've met your mom, she seems awesome, and I know you love her a lot. I still stand by thinking it's a horrible way for a parent to behave towards a child though.
"Knight in shining Zubaz."

Bonochick [at]
Old 04-20-2007, 02:29 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict
I come from a very expressive family. If we have the tiniest problem about anything, it comes out immediately, usually in a raised voice.

I can remember times where my mom yelled at me until she couldn't get another sound to come out of her voice. She probably swore or called me names. Who knows. It was a long time ago. Most of the arguments in my house were because my younger sister and I couldn't get along. We shared a room for a while when we were really little. The fighting didn't stop after we had our own rooms.

I think the difference about the way my parents yelled at me and Alec Baldwin's little rant is the fact that it's a voice mail. No matter how mad anyone has ever been, no one has ever yelled or called me names on a voicemail. That would just be too hurtful. I couldn't imagine receiving a message with one of my parents screaming at me that I'm a disgusting pig. That's a bit much. I'd rather they call me up and yell at me so I can yell back!

I really couldn't give a crap about Alec Baldwin's parenting skills or the fact that he and his ex-wife can't keep their personal matters behind closed doors. But when it's on every page of the internet, it's hard to avoid.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 11:59 PM
Yelling is different, calling names is different. But it prolly works both ways though - I'd be really upset, beyond upset if either one of my parents swore at me and called me names. But I have been yelled at, I've been punished, but never insulted.

But that's just me. Maybe someone who has a more thicker skin than I do would be able to take it in their stride.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:16 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier
Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Arw, my family is the same way .

And I agree with you on the voicemail part. It's one thing to say something like that in the heat of the moment when between two people and another to leave an angry, ranting voicemail. Sure it must be very frustrating for him if this has happened repeatedly, but she's the 11 year old child and he's the adult.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:18 PM   #38
love, blood, life
Local Time: 10:59 AM
Who cares? I've been called worse and deserved it. It's not a big deal.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:03 PM   #39
New Yorker
Originally posted by corianderstem
So ... how did TMZ get that private voicemail, anyway? It sounds like someone (Kim?) played it for the county commissioner or whatever, but who leaked it to the press?

My money's on the daughter herself. Have to admit, that's some pretty good payback for calling your daughter a "thoughtless little pig."

Or it was Kim who told TMZ. Which isn't as nice, and only makes things worse for the daughter, caught between her warring parents.
i agree 100%
how does this kind of stuff get to the media? sounds like someone trying to stir up shit on Alec Baldwin
Old 04-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #40
War Child
Local Time: 09:59 PM
If I were divorced and I had kids, I would regret having kids with my ex. That's why Alec Baldwin was so mean. He probably wishes he never had a kid with Kim Bassinger.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict
Arw My family too.

Did your parents always take up for your little sister, or was it more fair? With me my mom always took the side of my little brother right or wrong. I won't even say the things I've been called. She was a wonderful loving mother overall but people do say things. Let's just say I am not a bit shocked by anything Baldwin is accused of saying because my family and people I have known have done much worse. But then ten minutes later it was all forgotten because everyone knew it was just a heat of the moment thing. This has happened with almost everyone I have known all my life. There is no such thing as the "Father Knows Best" family, not if you really get to know people.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #42
Local Time: 09:59 PM
This is nothing. You should have been there on my 9th birthday when my father chased me with a baseball bat. Ah, good times...
Old 04-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #43
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator
Message from Alec from his webpage

"Thank you to everyone who has posted messages of suppport and understanding. Naturally, it is not best for a parent to lose their temper with their child. Everyone who knows me privately knows that I have endured a great deal over the last several years in my custody litigation.

Everyone who knows me privately knows that certain people will go to any lengths to embarass me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter. In such public cases, your opponents attempt to take a picture of you on your worst day and insist that this is who you are as a person.

Outside the doors of divorce court, I have friends, I have respect from people I work with and I have a normal relationship with my daughter. All of that is threatened whenever one enters a court room.

Although I have been told by numerous people not to worry too much, as all parents lose their patience with their kids, I am most saddened that this was released to the media because of what it does to a child.

I'm sorry, as everyone who knows me is aware, for losing my temper with my child. I have been driven to the edge by parental alienation for many years now. You have to go through this to understand. ( Although I hope you never do.)

I am sorry for what happened. But I am equally sorry that a court order was violated, which had deliberately been put under seal in this case. Once my book is published, I'm sure more people will understand the incredible strains created by parental alienation.

In the meantime, I'm sorry to anyone who's taken offense from this episode."
Old 04-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #44
love, blood, life
Uh, I've read over what Alec Baldwin said a few times now, and I still fail to see what the big deal is. My parents have said far worse things to me (with far worse language too.) Regardless of this "abuse", I turned out okay. And I adore my parents! They're the best two people in the world! Baldwin's kid probably deserved it, just as much as I deserved the discipline I received. Too much sensitivity can be a bad thing. I don't even want to think about what some of you here would think of my parents. They used to smack me with a wooden spoon when I misbehaved. Oh, heaven forbid parents actually discipline their children when they perform undesired behaviour.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #45
Blue Crack Distributor
While I'm not thrilled with Alec Baldwin shouting mean things at his daughter, I'm more worked up/irritated/whatever over the fact that this has become such a huge story.