Alec Baldwin: Father of the Year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Lots of parents lose their cool and yell at their kids. It happens. Hell, it's happened to me lots of times. It doesn't mean that I was abused or my parents hate me. Personally, I think kids who were never yelled at and who were handled with kid gloves can turn out to be some of the most screwed up kids because they grow up not knowing how to handle any sort of conflict and they end up freaking out at the smallest thing once they do grow up. But, I'm getting off-topic here.

We're failing to look at other factors, which may be he tried calling nine times previous and this was the call in which he finally lost it, she could be a complete brat who's using this as a way to get something, it could be Kim Basinger's doing. Who knows? Who cares? This is just something else bored people feel the need to pass judgement on.

:shrug:

^ see above

My dad once called me a bitch and slapped me. I laugh about it now because I *totally* deserved it. Now if he's ever famous someone will dig up this post and hold it against us!

I personally would not speak to a child that way, but we don't know the whole story and the story is none of our biznazz.

BrownEyedBoy said:

It´s an overreaction because all he did was get upset. He pays the bills doesn´t he? He´s there for her? He doesn´t "beat" her with a belt (God forbid, right?). I just think that it´s really unfair to judge an angry person when you´re calm. It´s two different mindsets.

a parent calling their child derogatory names is verbal abuse. there is no excuse.

Bonochick said:

So now you're passing judgement on those of us who have opinions on this?

I've been yelled at by my parents...rightfully deserved...but I was never sworn at and called names. Big difference.

See Lie's post in response to mine. My mom and I once came to blows so badly she hit me but I was being a complete moron. Anyone who knows me even the slightest bit here knows I adore my mom - families fight, it happens, we get over it.

Also, I am not passing judgement; it's merely an observation. People can say whatever they want in response to the lives of celebrities. I'm posting in this thread so this essentially doesn't make me any "better" than any other poster in here, does it?

Well, I don't think what your mom and her dad did are okay either. However...I'm not passing judgement on either of them as a person in general, nor did I on Alec Baldwin. I've met your mom, she seems awesome, and I know you love her a lot. I still stand by thinking it's a horrible way for a parent to behave towards a child though.

Last edited:
I come from a very expressive family. If we have the tiniest problem about anything, it comes out immediately, usually in a raised voice.

I can remember times where my mom yelled at me until she couldn't get another sound to come out of her voice. She probably swore or called me names. Who knows. It was a long time ago. Most of the arguments in my house were because my younger sister and I couldn't get along. We shared a room for a while when we were really little. The fighting didn't stop after we had our own rooms.

I think the difference about the way my parents yelled at me and Alec Baldwin's little rant is the fact that it's a voice mail. No matter how mad anyone has ever been, no one has ever yelled or called me names on a voicemail. That would just be too hurtful. I couldn't imagine receiving a message with one of my parents screaming at me that I'm a disgusting pig. That's a bit much. I'd rather they call me up and yell at me so I can yell back!

I really couldn't give a crap about Alec Baldwin's parenting skills or the fact that he and his ex-wife can't keep their personal matters behind closed doors. But when it's on every page of the internet, it's hard to avoid.

Yelling is different, calling names is different. But it prolly works both ways though - I'd be really upset, beyond upset if either one of my parents swore at me and called me names. But I have been yelled at, I've been punished, but never insulted.

But that's just me. Maybe someone who has a more thicker skin than I do would be able to take it in their stride.

Arw, my family is the same way :lol:.

And I agree with you on the voicemail part. It's one thing to say something like that in the heat of the moment when between two people and another to leave an angry, ranting voicemail. Sure it must be very frustrating for him if this has happened repeatedly, but she's the 11 year old child and he's the adult.

Last edited:
Who cares? I've been called worse and deserved it. It's not a big deal.

corianderstem said:
So ... how did TMZ get that private voicemail, anyway? It sounds like someone (Kim?) played it for the county commissioner or whatever, but who leaked it to the press?

My money's on the daughter herself. Have to admit, that's some pretty good payback for calling your daughter a "thoughtless little pig."

Or it was Kim who told TMZ. Which isn't as nice, and only makes things worse for the daughter, caught between her warring parents.
i agree 100%
how does this kind of stuff get to the media? sounds like someone trying to stir up shit on Alec Baldwin

If I were divorced and I had kids, I would regret having kids with my ex. That's why Alec Baldwin was so mean. He probably wishes he never had a kid with Kim Bassinger.

Arw :hug: My family too.

Did your parents always take up for your little sister, or was it more fair? With me my mom always took the side of my little brother right or wrong. I won't even say the things I've been called. She was a wonderful loving mother overall but people do say things. Let's just say I am not a bit shocked by anything Baldwin is accused of saying because my family and people I have known have done much worse. But then ten minutes later it was all forgotten because everyone knew it was just a heat of the moment thing. This has happened with almost everyone I have known all my life. There is no such thing as the "Father Knows Best" family, not if you really get to know people.

This is nothing. You should have been there on my 9th birthday when my father chased me with a baseball bat. Ah, good times... :cool:

Message from Alec from his webpage

"Thank you to everyone who has posted messages of suppport and understanding. Naturally, it is not best for a parent to lose their temper with their child. Everyone who knows me privately knows that I have endured a great deal over the last several years in my custody litigation.

Everyone who knows me privately knows that certain people will go to any lengths to embarass me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter. In such public cases, your opponents attempt to take a picture of you on your worst day and insist that this is who you are as a person.

Outside the doors of divorce court, I have friends, I have respect from people I work with and I have a normal relationship with my daughter. All of that is threatened whenever one enters a court room.

Although I have been told by numerous people not to worry too much, as all parents lose their patience with their kids, I am most saddened that this was released to the media because of what it does to a child.

I'm sorry, as everyone who knows me is aware, for losing my temper with my child. I have been driven to the edge by parental alienation for many years now. You have to go through this to understand. ( Although I hope you never do.)

I am sorry for what happened. But I am equally sorry that a court order was violated, which had deliberately been put under seal in this case. Once my book is published, I'm sure more people will understand the incredible strains created by parental alienation.

In the meantime, I'm sorry to anyone who's taken offense from this episode."

http://www.alecbaldwin.com/guest/guestbook.php?action=view_responses

Uh, I've read over what Alec Baldwin said a few times now, and I still fail to see what the big deal is. My parents have said far worse things to me (with far worse language too.) Regardless of this "abuse", I turned out okay. And I adore my parents! They're the best two people in the world! Baldwin's kid probably deserved it, just as much as I deserved the discipline I received. Too much sensitivity can be a bad thing. I don't even want to think about what some of you here would think of my parents. They used to smack me with a wooden spoon when I misbehaved. Oh, heaven forbid parents actually discipline their children when they perform undesired behaviour.

While I'm not thrilled with Alec Baldwin shouting mean things at his daughter, I'm more worked up/irritated/whatever over the fact that this has become such a huge story.

:huh:

corianderstem said:
So ... how did TMZ get that private voicemail, anyway? It sounds like someone (Kim?) played it for the county commissioner or whatever, but who leaked it to the press?

My money's on the daughter herself. Have to admit, that's some pretty good payback for calling your daughter a "thoughtless little pig."

Or it was Kim who told TMZ. Which isn't as nice, and only makes things worse for the daughter, caught between her warring parents.

I'm wondering how they obtained the tape as well. Weird..

one4u2 said:

I'm wondering how they obtained the tape as well. Weird..

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the kid. She's probably going through puberty right now. Pubescent girls often act bitchy towards their parents and will do all they can to get back at them for every little thing. I know I did. And I deserved everything I received in return.

I don't blame Alec Baldwin for getting frustrated with his daughter. 11-year-old girls are frustrating. I cannot believe that so much press is being given to such a minor little thing. You'd swear he'd physically abused her and broken a bone or something.

I have an 11-year-old sister who's spoiled enough as it is, I can't imagine what she'd be like if she was a celebrity child caught in a custody battle. I understand Baldwin's situation and don't understand the huge brouhaha about it.

Hey, something's gotta fill the news break in-between an Anna Nicole or Britney story right?

Windmilllane said:
If I were divorced and I had kids, I would regret having kids with my ex. That's why Alec Baldwin was so mean. He probably wishes he never had a kid with Kim Bassinger.

:huh: OK talk about a situation that would permanently damage a child's psyche, being sorry you ever had him or her?!?!?

Just because kids can be brats and parents can get angry doesn't mean they wish kids were never born!

:huh:
Speaking from personal experiences I know my parents have lashed out at us with rude words (in spanish, mind you) in the past. It's unfortunate, and they would eventually apologize but people get stressed and angry and say and do things they later regret. Personally, I would take an insult over physical abuse any day. I'm not saying it's right, because it's not, but it happens, my parents are good, rational, calm people and even they have lost their cool. It sucks for the kid and anybody involved, it sucks it became public and I'm hoping Baldwin will have learned something positive out of this ordeal.

I think people are going to approach this from different perspectives because we all bring our own experiences to the table.

Personally, I've never been hit by either of my parents, I've never been insulted in any way or called a name. EVER. Neither has my brother. They'd yell at us to go pick up after ourselves or something like that but I've never been so much as inferred to be an idiot even. It simply isn't my parents' style and I kind of find it shocking to read that it is the case for some others. But this isn't because I necessarily think it's wrong, it's just that it's not my experience and so I can't really begin to understand it.

I don't care what he does in his personal life, but nobody here is really right or wrong - we're just reacting to a situation given the way we were raised and obviously there's a range involved.

Chizip said:
I don't understand why this kind of stuff is public knowledge. Are we that desperate for celebrity gossip that we have to know about conversations between B list actors and their daughters?

I've heard the audio on the news

and it is quite damning.

He needs some serious therapy.

Anger management.

At this point

I don't care how the tape got out.

I don't thing a little girl should be called a pig. Ever.

I don't care if he and Kim Basinger have issues, and if they dragged their child(ren) into this, he is out of line talking to an 11 year old girl and his daughter like that. Especially for something relatively trivial like her not picking up the phone.

:up: what anitram said.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

See Lie's post in response to mine. My mom and I once came to blows so badly she hit me but I was being a complete moron. Anyone who knows me even the slightest bit here knows I adore my mom - families fight, it happens, we get over it.

Also, I am not passing judgement; it's merely an observation. People can say whatever they want in response to the lives of celebrities. I'm posting in this thread so this essentially doesn't make me any "better" than any other poster in here, does it?

Yeah, but....How old were you guys when this happened? Were you going through the FBT (F***ing Bastard Teenager) stage at the time?

Once my mother said i was acting like a "slut" because i refused to come home and stayed at my boyfriends house.....I WAS 18!! (This was the only time it got this bad!.....*remembers* oh, there was the time when my dad ran after my boyfriends car after he dropped me off from going to the movies........and he was swearing and cursing and stuff all down the street, because he dropped me home 3 hours late....I was 16 ........still he did not call me anything derogatory!!)

I put my mum and Dad through hell from the age of 15-20yrs.......Mum and Dad used to lose it lots!!!

But C'mon............11 years old, Nah! You have to be in control.....I'm not saying you are not allowed to loose your cool but calling your 11 year old a "Pig" is not acceptable

["Once again, I have made an ass of myself trying to get to a phone," adding, "you have insulted me for the last time."

, "I don't give a damn that you're 12-years-old or 11-years-old, or a child, or that your mother is a thoughtless pain in the ass who doesn't care about what you do." The irate Baldwin went on to say, "You've made me feel like s**t" and threatened to "straighten your ass out."
[/B][/QUOTE]

There's a difference between emotional abuse and discipline. And emotional abuse -- at least in my state -- is illegal. Baldwin's rant is focused on him, his needs, and his self-esteem, and to my mind, has the flavor of something an abusive spouse/partner would say to another adult. Baldwin doesn't "give a damn" that he's dealing with "a child" -- which to me is a red flag. Calling your child derogatory names is very different from yelling that your child is grounded because yet again s/he neglected the chores.

fly so high! said:

Yeah, but....How old were you guys when this happened? Were you going through the FBT (F***ing Bastard Teenager) stage at the time?

Slapped in the face and yelled at? 5th grade, so....10 or 11, not that it really matters. I remember it well, not because I'm scarred by it, but it was the last time my dad ever got REALLY mad at me and it was the last time I ever pushed his limits.

But like anitram says, everyone's family dynamics are different, so what hurts or doesn't hurt me is not going to be the same for someone else.

I don't condone what he did at all and I'd never say something like that to a child OR an adult, but the whole situation isn't really any of our business.

I've grown bored with this whole airing of Basinger-Baldwin dirty laundry in the public eye over their daughter. No matter who is right or who is wrong everyone is different and their feud has been on-going for a couple of years. There are 3 sides to every story too--in this case his, hers and then the truth. I feel badly for the poor child who is being manipulated and dragged through this needlessly if both parents and their legal counsel really cared about her. Such a pity, tsk tsk tsk......

Back
Top Bottom