Albums That You Grew Up On

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beatles, Police, Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac

Could not avoid Madonna, Michael Jackson, George Michael, Culture Club, Men at Work & M.C. Hammer :lol:

until i was around 7:
the weavers - greatest hits
various people singing woody gutherie songs (some compilation record)

7-14:
the beatles (all the albums)

after that it gets complicated, the lists get long, and i don't really think you guys care that much.

The first two real albums I ever got (on tape! :lol: ) when I was around 10-11 was:

Queen: Made In Heaven

R.E.M.: Automatic For The People

A great introduction into the world of rock music! :wink:

Last edited:
toscano said:
The Sweet, Slade, T-Rex, early Roxy Music, Gary Glitter, Rod Stewart, Abba, Wizzard, The Supremes, Cockney Rebel, Sparks, Bowie Bowie Bowie (Ziggy, Aladdin era), Queen

We must be the same age. The same age as U2! I Have 7" singles by all of those bands.

My first 2 LP's were Electric Warrior (T.Rex) and Led Zep 4. Both bought on the same day. My first cassette was Alice Cooper, Schools Out.

Achtung Baby-U2
Siamese Dream-Pumpkins
Come Dancing-The Kinks
Sonic Temple-The Cult
Appetite For Distruction-GnR
Ten-Pearl Jam

I grew up listening to my dad's albums. (My mom didn't have very many of her own.) My favorites were his Bill Cosby comedy albums, a double-live Peter Paul and Mary album (that I still need to buy on CD) and Harry Belafonte (which he also loved to sing when he was in the bathtub).

My mom listened to an AM radio station that played oldies, so I gained an early love of 50s and 60s stuff.

My youngest aunt was where I discovered rock music. She had Led Zeppelin (the one with "Stairway to Heaven") and The Beatles "Abbey Road," along with other not-so-cool discs like Andy Gibb and John Denver. :wink:

The same aunt bought me my first album for Christmas in 1980: a K-Tel collection called "Rock 80." It was SO AWESOME. It had Pat Benatar, Blondie, Cheap Trick, and "Pop Muzik" by M.

The first albums I bought on my own were Men At Work's "Business As Usual" and Huey Lewis and the News' "Sports" ... and a story-record of "Return of the Jedi." :reject:

My cousins lived in a bigger city than I did, so when they came to visit, they exposed me to stuff I hadn't heard yet as a teenager: The Cure, Depeche Mode, REM and U2.

We didn't have cable, and even though my conservative parents expressly forbade me from watching MTV, I watched it at my grandma's and my best friend's, so my musical knowledge expanded quite a bit as a teenager in the 80s.

My first memories of music are what my mom loved:
--Firestone Christmas albums
--Simon and Garfunkel
--Nat King Cole
--New Christy Minstrels
--John Denver

corianderstem: shame on you for saying that John Denver is "not so cool" :madspit:
John Denver, God rest his soul, was nothing short of wonderful. He was his music. And his music meant something....

Last edited:
Well, I was 12 or 13 at the time. I laughed hard when I saw the John Denver album. I'm older and wiser now. :wink:

Eliv8 said:

We must be the same age. The same age as U2! I Have 7" singles by all of those bands.

My first 2 LP's were Electric Warrior (T.Rex) and Led Zep 4. Both bought on the same day. My first cassette was Alice Cooper, Schools Out.

I actually have same birthday as Edge

Forgot Alice, wish I had my old record collection.........

Back
Top Bottom