Albums that should actually be double albums.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IWasBored

Blue Crack Supplier
although i haven't seen one here (recently anyway), people always gripe about double albums that would be much better as single albums.

give me your list of double albums that you actually like as double albums.

and yes, despite it being seen as 1 cd, london calling is still a double album. same with anything else like that.

Usually, the excess is the whole point of it all. Like with the White Album, All Things Must Pass, Sandinista!, Mellon Collie..., and a fuckload of other double- and triple-albums. People who say those should've been cut down are stupid people trying to sound insightful.

my face and i just wanted to start this thread because we feel that the fragile is not just the best nine inch nails album, it's also one of the best albums ever, and right now i like it just as much as london calling or exile on main street. outside of those three, i can't think of any other double albums that i would listen to from start to finish. typhoon can call me a pretentious ass now.

IWasBored said:
my face and i just wanted to start this thread because we feel that the fragile is not just the best nine inch nails album, it's also one of the best albums ever, and right now i like it just as much as london calling or exile on main street. outside of those three, i can't think of any other double albums that i would listen to from start to finish. typhoon can call me a pretentious ass now.

omgz, why don't you change the title of this thread to: "The Fragile is one of the best albums EVAR" ?

because then i know no one would read it. i'm an attention whore, isn't that obvious?!? either that or the nin fans would come out of the woodwork and talk about how much "a-with-a teeth-aah" annoys them.

and it's not the best album ever :mad:

that title goes to sinners & saints "the sky is falling" (which only has 9 songs, interestingly enough).

IWasBored said:
because then i know no one would read it. i'm an attention whore, isn't that obvious?!? either that or the nin fans would come out of the woodwork and talk about how much "a-with-a teeth-aah" annoys them.

and it's not the best album ever :mad:

that title goes to sinners & saints "the sky is falling" (which only has 9 songs, interestingly enough).
:down:

A-WITH-A TEETH-AAH!

i actually like that song quite a bit. as i like the rest of the album. :up: but it's only a regular album, so it doesn't belong in this thread.

Bruce Springsteen - The River
Beatles - The White Album
The Clash - London Calling (but Sandanista! could easily have been, say, a double album instead of a triple.)
Kate Bush - Aerial
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Lyre of Orpheus/Abbotier Blues

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven

not just a great double album, but my all time favorite album

Dream Theater's Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence is an excellent double album, especially the second disc.

And this might be a bit of a dodgy inclusion, but I love the double disc version of Porcupine Tree's The Sky Moves Sideways. It was originally issued as a single disc album with different tracklistings in the US and UK, and the later updated version that combines both in a double album is awesome.

Blonde on Blonde
Tommy
Machina II / The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Use Your Illusion I/Use Your Illusion II (does this count?)
Blinking Lights and Other Revelations
Being There

Everything by frank zappa.

now would probably be a good time for me to say i'm almost 100% certain i've never actually heard frank zappa.

My list:

• Over the Rhine - Ohio
  • Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
  • Kate Bush - Aerial

Exile on Main Street (if London Calling qualifies, so does this)

Fleetwood Mac, Tusk (see above comment)

Van Morrison, Hymns to the Silence (underrated masterpiece)

Stevie Wonder, Songs in the Key of Life

Miles Davis, Bitches Brew (don't know if jazz albums like this count because they're not really collections of written songs)

phanan said:
Pink Floyd - The Wall

I´ll second this. Difficult enough to reduce it to 90 minutes.

others,
Babylon by Bus
Quadrophenia
Sign O the Times

and IWB, you should listen to Titties n Beer, the live Zappa gig in New York s a great record. Also check out "I promise not to come in your mouth".

Back
Top Bottom