Albums missing from the RS top 100

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

One Tree Still

Acrobat
"Synchcronicity" - the Police
"Badmotorfinger" - Soundgarden
"Yield" - Pearl Jam
"Full Moon Fever" - Tom Petty
"Moondance" - Van Morrison
"The Color and the Shape" - Foo Fighters
"1984" - Van Halen

others?

Of your list I only agree with Sychronicity.

I could make a list of my own, but I'd have to review theirs first.

BTW- I LOVE the FOO FIGHTERS but The Colour and the Shape does NOT deserve to be there. I loved Everlong so much I bought the CD without hearing the rest of the songs. Big mistake. Only Everlong and Monkey Wrench are worth listening to IMO the rest of the songs were less than mediocre filler.

The list includes Mariah Carey but not Joni Mitchell, Elvis Costello or Tom Waits. 'Nuff said.

Rolling Stone are a den of whores and thieves. I wouldn't give them the time of day if you paid me.

Oh boy, greatest-album-of-all-time lists stink so badly. Self congratulatory, back slapping, arse licking, sycophantic, retch inducing, spineless, gutless BLAH. Did I mention clueless?

It's all about belonging. Like, hey my taste in music must be ok if Rolling Stone gave it the thumbs-up. Right? Er, right.

Did I mention their website stinks too?

Synchronicity - The Police
Ghost In The Machine - The Police
Core - Stone Temple Pilots
Badmotorfinger - Soundgarden
Sign O' The Times - Prince
Diamonds & Pearls - Prince
So - Peter Gabriel
Machine Head - Deep Purple
Selling England By The Pound - Genesis
The Doors - The Doors
Pop - U2
Once Upon A Time - Simple Minds
Band On The Run - Paul Mc Cartney
All Things Must Pass - George Harrison

Noticed that The Wanderer was mentioned as essential track off Zooropa - made me crack :lmao:

Can't believe that Led Zep's II was ranked at 51 while Axl's gang made it to Top 10 :yuck:

As much as I dislike Rolling Stone these days, you can't really blame them for the choices on this list since the albums were picked by the readers (or anyone who happened to come across the poll on their web site, like me).

I actually thought the list was pretty good when I first looked at it, except for the laughable additions of Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet," one of Mariah Carey's albums (can't remember which one) and a few others. But now that I'm looking at all these lists of missing albums, I'm kind of shocked. They didn't put "The Doors" on the list?? That is just plain wrong.

ultraviolet7 said:
Synchronicity - The Police
Ghost In The Machine - The Police
So - Peter Gabriel
Machine Head - Deep Purple
The Doors - The Doors
Pop - U2
Once Upon A Time - Simple Minds
:yes: although, like bono's shades said, the readers picked the list, so of course we shouldn't be surprised that there was so much new stuff and so little classic rock. discounting all the beatles stuff that made the top 10 (i really don't want to start an argument about them) i didn't think the rest of the top 10 was well...in the top 10 of albums. one thing i will NEVER understand is what peoples' obsession is with nirvana. still to this day, kurt cobain will appear on some rock magazine cover. if anything, i think he'd be pissed for the way critics treat him now.

anyway, i guess my beef is really with the people who read rolling stone. although i guess i should be happy that at least someone like britney spears or anything didn't make the list.

KhanadaRhodes said:

:yes: although, like bono's shades said, the readers picked the list, so of course we shouldn't be surprised that there was so much new stuff and so little classic rock. discounting all the beatles stuff that made the top 10 (i really don't want to start an argument about them) i didn't think the rest of the top 10 was well...in the top 10 of albums. one thing i will NEVER understand is what peoples' obsession is with nirvana. still to this day, kurt cobain will appear on some rock magazine cover. if anything, i think he'd be pissed for the way critics treat him now.

anyway, i guess my beef is really with the people who read rolling stone. although i guess i should be happy that at least someone like britney spears or anything didn't make the list.

:yes: Aye agree :yes:

The sort of albums that made the list show that the average age of voters must have been 22/24 or so. (3 by Radiohead/Nirvana/Pearl Jam each and 2 by RHCP not to mention 2 or 3 by Eminem speak for themselves).

I absolutely agree about Nirvana. An overrated band if there was one IMHO. Even if Nevermind could have reasonably been among the top 100, #2 is a little bit too much.

Re the top 10 I agreed with most of The Beatles stuff (not Revolver in particular) and Achtung Baby. The rest weren't even near it and some of them wouldn't have even made my Top 100.

On re-read of my own post I realised I said Band On The Run - Paul McCartney when it's a WINGS album!!

I could also add as missing on RS Top 100 Kick by INXS

ultraviolet7 said:

I absolutely agree about Nirvana. An overrated band if there was one IMHO. Even if Nevermind could have reasonably been among the top 100, #2 is a little bit too much.

I don't mind Nirvana but God I'm sick of music mags dragging out Kurt Cobain photos for the umpteenth cover story, and this month, both Q Magazine and Australian Rolling Stone have him on the cover. Yeah, he was a great talent and great influence, but jeez enough already...

So much shit on this list .........

Bon Jovi " Slippery When Wet " - 86
Michael Jackson " Off The Wall " - 73
Maria Carey - " Day Dream "- 69
Madonna " Music " - 52
Eminem " MM LP " - 37
Eminem Show - 24
Too much fukin Weezer stuff
MJ - " Thriller " - 12

Re: So much shit on this list .........

pinkfloyd said:
Bon Jovi " Slippery When Wet " - 86
Michael Jackson " Off The Wall " - 73
Maria Carey - " Day Dream "- 69
Madonna " Music " - 52
Eminem " MM LP " - 37
Eminem Show - 24
Too much fukin Weezer stuff
MJ - " Thriller " - 12

:yes: Agree on your "shitlist". I guess Linkin Park could be on it too.

heh. I loved how the geeks united and made Weezer the only band to have all of their albums on the list. It's also rather amazing that Pinkerton, the band's lowest seller (and my personal favorite), was able to chart at No. 16. I was one of the people that helped it reach that mark actually. :yes:

And people, you had the chance to vote as many times as you liked. If some of your faves aren't on the list, then maybe you should have voted.

Synchronicity-The Police
Ghost In The Machine-The Police
Outlandos D'Amour- The Police
The Crossing-Big Country
Steeltown-Big Country
The Soul Cages-Sting

Hell Yeah!

BigMacPhisto said:
heh. I loved how the geeks united and made Weezer the only band to have all of their albums on the list. It's also rather amazing that Pinkerton, the band's lowest seller (and my personal favorite), was able to chart at No. 16. I was one of the people that helped it reach that mark actually. :yes:

And people, you had the chance to vote as many times as you liked. If some of your faves aren't on the list, then maybe you should have voted.

Yeah, I thought the list was pretty good overall, especially since RS has been kissing the ass of pop for the past 5 years. And I was very pleased with all the Weezer apperances...I voted for Pinkerton and I was pleasantly suprised to see how many others did too!

~LadyLemon~ said:
Thriller is a great album.
:yes:

just because every U2 album didn't dominate the top 10, doesn't mean other very influential artists didn't deserve some of the spots they garnered.

my only beef about nirvana is that i don't see how they really should've beat out just about everyone, and hell, even other beatles albums.

Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea-PJ Harvey

Back
Top Bottom