Albums critics/fans worship that you can't stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
As you can see from the title, the purpose of this thread is for you to select some albums that are hailed as legendary that you just do not like at all. I think pretty much everyone here has a decent enough knowledge of music to know that I'm referring to albums like Sgt. Peppers, Loveless, Nevermind, etc, and not albums that are given positive reviews or crappy albums made by great artists. Maybe we can get some of those who haven't "gotten" certain pieces of "art" to give them another chance.

Let's try and handle this maturely. :wink: At least, even if fighting and arguing break out, this will not turn into a U2 vs. Coldplay thread. :|

My three:

Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - Pink Floyd
In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
Pet Sounds - Beach Boys

Radiohead - Ok Computer

Probably not the wisest choice of album to make to on this forum but when i bought it i expected to so much and got so little back. I suppose the expectation was a huge burden to shoulder but i can't see how or why it justifies its tag of 'Best album of the 90's' which i've seen on a few 'Top 50' album lists and magazine covers.

It has some great songs like The Tourist, Lucky and Paranoid Android but a lot of it's appeal is lost on me :huh:

1stepcloser said:
Radiohead - Ok Computer

:mad: Wrong answer.
boxing.gif

:lol: In all fairness, I do think that's the best album of the 90's, and I will stick by that forever. It shows everything that was good about prog rock being revisited by one of the most experimental bands of our time. Every song is a gem. If you don't like it, I just suggest you listen again. :)

Anything related to Nirvana, Arctic Monkeys, Nickelback, or that putrid Neutral Milk Hotel album.

Really guys.

Either of Joanna Newsom's albums.

She's awful. I hate hearing about how amazing she is and how Ys is one of the best albums in a long, long time. The arrangements can be pretty, I'll admit, but her voice is probably the worst one I've ever heard.

I have to agree with OK Computer. Karma Police is a thing of beauty, but I'm just not a fan.

Agreed also with Joanna Newsom. I heard a good chunk of it, and my response was: Are you KIDDING me?

I remember being severely disappointed with Jeff Buckley's Grace. It was decent, but nowhere near fulfilling my expectations.

I'll throw out OK Computer as well. Best album of the 90's? I don't think so. Not even in the top 3 Radiohead albums. It's completely overrated, though it's definitely still a great album. Give me Airbag, Let Down, No Surprises and Lucky. Everything else. :down: I'd rather listen to anything from Radiohead's 3 (maybe even 4) better albums.

Let It Be... Naked completely kills Let It Be.

It's what The Beatles would have really wanted.

clipper699 said:
"Return to Cookie Mountain" by TV on the Radio. It's on all the "best of" lists, but... I don't know, maybe I just don't get it.:sigh:

Maybe not. It's delicious.

Especially Province :drool:

Is OK Computer the best album of the 90s? I have no idea.
But it doesn't have a bad song on it, and I don't skip any of it. So on a personal level, it is number 2 on MY list behind Achtung Baby.
The truly overrated Radiohead album is Kid A. National Anthem, Everything In Its Right Place and How To Disappear Completely are excellent tracks, Optimistic, is mediocre, and Idioteque kinda sounds cool. The rest is Radiohead at their worst. There, I said it.

I'm kind of underwhelmed by Jeff Buckley's "Grace" as well. He had a great talent, yes. Some of what I've heard from him is heart-stoppingly beautiful. But did that promise of talent warrant releasing every little "pling-pling" he played on the guitar posthumously? No.

Another case of someone's legend growing only because they died young and tragically.

All That You Can't Leave Behind and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. "Can't stand" might be too harsh a phrase for how I feel about those albunms, but it describes how I feel about all the critic and fan gushing to a T.

I also don't get Joanna Newsom and Sufjan Stephens at all.

"Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm not" - Arctic Monkeys

That's one of the worse things I've heard last year. I can't really understand the hype around those kids? Are they kidding? Is the british press so desperate to find a new "big band"???

Plus...

American lame stuff from the 90's: Seattle scene doesn't go for me (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc).

KhanadaRhodes said:
i think some of madonna's songs are okay, but i don't think she's the best female pop singer or anything.

:uhoh:

I never headr anybody telling she's the best female pop singer.
But I have no doubt putting her as the best performer/entertainer and as one of the biggest icons in pop culture.

Aygo said:

American lame stuff from the 90's: Seattle scene doesn't go for me (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc).

:yes:

Apart from a couple of Nirvana songs, the rest of the seattle scene seemed dull dull dull to me.

Nirvana will always for me be the most overrated band I've ever come across. I like some of their songs, but, they're so revered and worshipped and I simply cannot comprehend it. Maybe it's me.

Also cannot quite comprehend Buckley's appeal.

And, this will probably piss some people off, but, I am not a big Dylan fan. His songwriting is amazing, but, he's a singer, not a poet, and I like my songs sung with a voice I like. And I do not like his at all.

No spoken words said:
And, this will probably piss some people off, but, I am not a big Dylan fan. His songwriting is amazing, but, he's a singer, not a poet, and I like my songs sung with a voice I like. And I do not like his at all.

I was just thinking the same when I saw the thread title. Apart from some of his classics, I could never get into Dylan at all - his warbly voice always undermines most of the stuff I've heard. Maybe it's something that grows on you with time and becomes charming and endearing.

Aygo said:
I'm not saying Nirvana are bad. In fact, there are some Nirvana - and Pearl Jam better - songs that I like. I just think they're not half big like many claim.

I think Pearl Jam have always been in another league compared to Nirvana...and I think Kurt Cobain knew it. He was always in attack-mode when it came to PJ. From the live performances that I've seen of both, I can imagine how he'd be intimidated by a band that were technically much better.

Back
Top Bottom