Albums critics/fans worship that you can't stand - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2007, 05:19 AM   #106
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:36 PM
Reading through this thread it occurred to me that I have to admit I tend to avoid albums (especially new ones) touted as "fantastic," "best album of (name decade)," "masterpiece," etc., because they never seem to stand up to all the hype and I don't need that kind of disappointment.

Isn't it amazing the things we figure out while reading through random threads in the wee morning hours?

Old 01-19-2007, 08:23 AM   #107
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 06:36 AM
Well i shall join the long line of Nirvana haters. Cannot STAND this stupid overrated band! f Kurt didn't kill himself, they'd have been good, but slowly disapeared up their own arse and stop making music!

But then him dying gave us Foo Fighters, so its not all bad!

Radiohead is *meh* i don't get it! I have listened, I have tried, and ultimately disappointed.

But then it comes down to music tastes really. Prog rock ain't for everyone!

Old 01-19-2007, 11:46 AM   #108
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:36 PM
This thread just goes to show how subjective musical tastes are...

The musical elitist in me is disappearing quickly as I get older, a few years ago I would have attacked some of these posts as having no clue about what music is... I've outgrown that, although I may lapse sometimes.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy
Well i shall join the long line of Nirvana haters. Cannot STAND this stupid overrated band! f Kurt didn't kill himself, they'd have been good, but slowly disapeared up their own arse and stop making music!

But then him dying gave us Foo Fighters, so its not all bad!

Radiohead is *meh* i don't get it! I have listened, I have tried, and ultimately disappointed.

But then it comes down to music tastes really. Prog rock ain't for everyone!
So, you think that Foo Fighters > Nirvana?

And I can't believe that actually someone said pearl jam "aren't half big as some people make them". People don't make them big. THEY ARE BIG, and they deserve it for every single reason.

Well, and the anti-radiohead feeling in this thread makes me but it's pretty fair, considering all the stupid RH fanship that we normally see in this board...
Old 01-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

Can you explain to me why I should consider the White Album even worth mentioning in the same context as Sgt. Pepper, Rubber Soul, or Abbey Road (the greatest rock album ever made)? None of those albums had filler. The entire first side of the White Album is filler (outside of Back In The USSR, Dear Prudence, and Blackbird)

And what's with all this "OK Computer is overrated" stuff? I can handle one person thinking that, but 5 or 6...
While My Guitar Gently Weeps?

Ob-La-Di?

Julia?

Filler?!?!!?!?! Dude, I want some of whatever you're smoking....
Old 01-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MacPhistoPT

And I can't believe that actually someone said pearl jam "aren't half big as some people make them". People don't make them big. THEY ARE BIG, and they deserve it for every single reason.

That's your opinion, naturally.

I think the're good...
...but not great.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:37 PM   #112
Refugee

Local Time: 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

Much better than Get Behind Me Satan as well. (De Stijl would be my second favorite from them)
De Stijl really is great. I had an aversion to the White Stripes for a while, simply because I had heard people comparing Jack White to Jimmy Page. In my mind, this was blasphemous, but the riffs on De Stijl really do deserve the comparison.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #113
The Male

Local Time: 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug

Ob-La-Di?
Ob-La-Di isn't filler? There are some tracks that are admittedly filler that I enjoy, but that isn't one of them.

(I actually like Piggies quite a bit. )
Old 01-20-2007, 11:58 PM   #114
ONE
love, blood, life

Cheers for all the Radiohead mentions.

The most over-rated band of all time get their due in the propper context.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:29 AM   #115
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

It's really hard to say, especially as it can be dependent on the type of music. Ultimately, I like my music to have a meaning or purpose, rather than the mindless rubbish popular on radio, and it's no secret that I am especially keen on atmospheric, ethereal music that creates sweeping soundscapes. I very much also look for talented musicians, people who can actually play their instruments with both supreme skill and a great sense of tastefulness. That's why I really enjoy Steven Wilson and John Petrucci but find Yngwie Malmsteen really boring.

One thing that's very important to me is that if a band has a vocalist, the vocalist has to actually appeal to me, either as a great vocalist (Steven Wilson, Neil Finn), or as someone whose vocals fit the style of the music (e.g. most death growlers). One reason why I really strongly dislike Radiohead is because Thom Yorke is one of the worst vocalists I've ever heard - every slower song he sings resembles three cats being strangled to death.

I could go on and on, but I won't. It just baffles me why a mediocre band with an unimpressive debut like The Arcade Fire are the darlings of this forum while a band like Pure Reason Revolution releases a very accomplished, mature debut full of rich atmospheric soundscapes and I'm the only bloody person on this forum even talking about them!
Oh, that's cool

I think it's because most people here love hooks, riffs, and anything that makes pop and most genres of rock music great.

Yes guys, pop music is not just bubblegum stuff.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:15 AM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

You're all squabbling like school children.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:48 AM   #117
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:36 AM
Tomato - tomahto

Squabbling - lively discussion

Between this comment and your comment in the Golden Globes thread, I have to ask: who pissed in your corn flakes this morning?
Old 01-21-2007, 10:52 AM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
Cheers for all the Radiohead mentions.

The most over-rated band of all time get their due in the propper context.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:56 PM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

It's really hard to say, especially as it can be dependent on the type of music. Ultimately, I like my music to have a meaning or purpose, rather than the mindless rubbish popular on radio, and it's no secret that I am especially keen on atmospheric, ethereal music that creates sweeping soundscapes. I very much also look for talented musicians, people who can actually play their instruments with both supreme skill and a great sense of tastefulness. That's why I really enjoy Steven Wilson and John Petrucci but find Yngwie Malmsteen really boring.

One thing that's very important to me is that if a band has a vocalist, the vocalist has to actually appeal to me, either as a great vocalist (Steven Wilson, Neil Finn), or as someone whose vocals fit the style of the music (e.g. most death growlers). One reason why I really strongly dislike Radiohead is because Thom Yorke is one of the worst vocalists I've ever heard - every slower song he sings resembles three cats being strangled to death.

I could go on and on, but I won't. It just baffles me why a mediocre band with an unimpressive debut like The Arcade Fire are the darlings of this forum while a band like Pure Reason Revolution releases a very accomplished, mature debut full of rich atmospheric soundscapes and I'm the only bloody person on this forum even talking about them!
Hmmm...atmospheric, ethereal, sweeping soundscapes...I like your choice of words. They perfectly describe why I love The Arcade Fire!

The beauty of this thread is that I will now check out Pure Reason Revolution. If you adore them so much, they must be at least decent.

I couldn't help but laugh after your Thom Yorke description...I think you might be half right. Maybe I'm a cat person. Also, DO NOT listen to Myxomatosis: It's the sound of three cats being strangled to death, while they sing about a fellow diseased cat. Very moving.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aygo

That's your opinion, naturally.

I think the're good...
...but not great.
I used to hate Pearl Jam...then I saw them live.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:00 PM   #120
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:36 PM
i will agree that ed should do some more lead singing in radiohead. he has a soft voice, as opposed to thom.