Albums critics/fans worship that you can't stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
intedomine said:
The Bends - Radiohead.....

It's boring....hard to believe that the same band that gave us the classics Ok Computer and Kid A and the very decent Hail to the Thief could release such an average-at-best album.

The Bends-era b-sides are better than the album itself. In fact, the b-sides from the Ok Computer era and the Kid Amnesiac era are better than The Bends.

Just personal taste of course, but I cannot comprehend how anyone could prefer The Bends over Oasis' (What's The Story) Morning Glory...

I luv u:heart:

Bob Dylan and Neil Young, I'm sure I would enjoy the music more if they didn't sing on it, not a fan of the nasal whine and it's hard to get past it.

Sergeant Peppers - I understand what a moment in history it is, but I much prefer Revolver :yes:

Pretty much everything widely praised and loved on this forum is completely over-rated. It's hard to even know where to begin. Some of the albums this forum adores are just complete crap, e.g. Funeral and OK Computer.

Axver said:
Pretty much everything widely praised and loved on this forum is completely over-rated. It's hard to even know where to begin. Some of the albums this forum adores are just complete crap, e.g. Funeral and OK Computer.

I don't want to sound like a dick, but what do you listen for when you listen to music?

I don't get the White Stripes or Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst. I don't like Dashboard Confessional (do critics like this?). I'm not that fond of emo in general.

As for Radiohead, I like The Bends a lot more than OK Computer. "Fake Plastic Trees," folks, "Fake Plastic Trees"!!!!! :drool: Music doesn't get better than that song.

I used to think The White Stripes were really overrated too, then I listened to "Elephant"

Now I don't think that anymore.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I don't want to sound like a dick, but what do you listen for when you listen to music?

It's really hard to say, especially as it can be dependent on the type of music. Ultimately, I like my music to have a meaning or purpose, rather than the mindless rubbish popular on radio, and it's no secret that I am especially keen on atmospheric, ethereal music that creates sweeping soundscapes. I very much also look for talented musicians, people who can actually play their instruments with both supreme skill and a great sense of tastefulness. That's why I really enjoy Steven Wilson and John Petrucci but find Yngwie Malmsteen really boring.

One thing that's very important to me is that if a band has a vocalist, the vocalist has to actually appeal to me, either as a great vocalist (Steven Wilson, Neil Finn), or as someone whose vocals fit the style of the music (e.g. most death growlers). One reason why I really strongly dislike Radiohead is because Thom Yorke is one of the worst vocalists I've ever heard - every slower song he sings resembles three cats being strangled to death.

I could go on and on, but I won't. It just baffles me why a mediocre band with an unimpressive debut like The Arcade Fire are the darlings of this forum while a band like Pure Reason Revolution releases a very accomplished, mature debut full of rich atmospheric soundscapes and I'm the only bloody person on this forum even talking about them!

Lancemc said:
Out Of Time = greatness. It's not their most consistant album by any means, but I think it carries some of the brightest tracks of their career (Half A World Away, Texarkana, Losing My Religion, Me In Honey, and the AMAZING Country Feedback, one of the greatest songs ever written).

Fully agree. Very much prefer Out Of Time over Automatic For The People...

Drive goes on for too long, Everybody Hurts is worn out, and I can only listen to the final 6 tracks when I'm in a particular mood.

Out Of Time is timeless, and an album for all occasions.....like Murmur and Document.

intedomine said:

Fully agree. Very much prefer Out Of Time over Automatic For The People...

:shocked:

I wish I hadn't made this thread...I've learned too much about all of you.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I used to think The White Stripes were really overrated too, then I listened to "Elephant"

Now I don't think that anymore.

Right on pal. Elephant is not only their best album, but also one of the best balls-to-the-wall oldschool rock albums of the decade.

Lancemc said:

Right on pal. Elephant is not only their best album, but also one of the best balls-to-the-wall oldschool rock albums of the decade.

:up: Much better than Get Behind Me Satan as well. (De Stijl would be my second favorite from them)

I'm not sure I like that people link Nickleback with Nirvana and Kurt. It's not Kurt's fault that Nickleback and other similar shitty bands exist.
Additionally, althought I did this myself, I'm not sure why trying to convince someone that the band they find overrated isn't actually is worthwhile. Tastes shouldn't be used as critera of a person's worth, or their value. Nevertheless, if someone doesn't like U2 I generally am a little more reserved around them....sad, but true.

War though, is fairly over-hyped. Gems include: SBS, 40, NYD, and Refuge (I know, everyone'll hate me for liking the latter).

LemonMelon said:

I'm Ready said:
i listened to pet sounds once, and thought it was some of the worst crap I have ever heard

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

:up:

I agree wholeheartedly.

Also as a big enough Dylan fan - enough to count Highway 61 Revisited and Blood On The Tracks among my favourites of all time, I've never really got Blonde On Blonde. Good but not great, you're back in play, here's a catchphrase.

Also, though I really like The Band's second album The Band, I've never been a massive fan of Music From Big Pink. Apart of course from The Weight, one of the greatest songs ever written.

LemonMelon said:

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, I am convinced, makes people go one of two directions. I love that album, but when I gave to a couple of people to listen to they both absolutely hated it.

Reading through this thread it occurred to me that I have to admit I tend to avoid albums (especially new ones) touted as "fantastic," "best album of (name decade)," "masterpiece," etc., because they never seem to stand up to all the hype and I don't need that kind of disappointment.

Isn't it amazing the things we figure out while reading through random threads in the wee morning hours? :wink:

Well i shall join the long line of Nirvana haters. Cannot STAND this stupid overrated band! f Kurt didn't kill himself, they'd have been good, but slowly disapeared up their own arse and stop making music!

But then him dying gave us Foo Fighters, so its not all bad! :wink:

Radiohead is *meh* i don't get it! I have listened, I have tried, and ultimately disappointed.

But then it comes down to music tastes really. Prog rock ain't for everyone!

This thread just goes to show how subjective musical tastes are...

The musical elitist in me is disappearing quickly as I get older, a few years ago I would have attacked some of these posts as having no clue about what music is... I've outgrown that, although I may lapse sometimes.:wink:

dazzlingamy said:
Well i shall join the long line of Nirvana haters. Cannot STAND this stupid overrated band! f Kurt didn't kill himself, they'd have been good, but slowly disapeared up their own arse and stop making music!

But then him dying gave us Foo Fighters, so its not all bad! :wink:

Radiohead is *meh* i don't get it! I have listened, I have tried, and ultimately disappointed.

But then it comes down to music tastes really. Prog rock ain't for everyone!

So, you think that Foo Fighters > Nirvana? :huh: :huh:

And I can't believe that actually someone said pearl jam "aren't half big as some people make them". People don't make them big. THEY ARE BIG, and they deserve it for every single reason.

Well, and the anti-radiohead feeling in this thread makes me :| but it's pretty fair, considering all the stupid RH fanship that we normally see in this board...

LemonMelon said:

:| Can you explain to me why I should consider the White Album even worth mentioning in the same context as Sgt. Pepper, Rubber Soul, or Abbey Road (the greatest rock album ever made)? None of those albums had filler. The entire first side of the White Album is filler (outside of Back In The USSR, Dear Prudence, and Blackbird)

And what's with all this "OK Computer is overrated" stuff? I can handle one person thinking that, but 5 or 6... :crack:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps?

Ob-La-Di?

Julia?

Filler?!?!!?!?! Dude, I want some of whatever you're smoking....

MacPhistoPT said:

And I can't believe that actually someone said pearl jam "aren't half big as some people make them". People don't make them big. THEY ARE BIG, and they deserve it for every single reason.

That's your opinion, naturally.

I think the're good...
...but not great.

LemonMelon said:

:up: Much better than Get Behind Me Satan as well. (De Stijl would be my second favorite from them)

De Stijl really is great. I had an aversion to the White Stripes for a while, simply because I had heard people comparing Jack White to Jimmy Page. In my mind, this was blasphemous, but the riffs on De Stijl really do deserve the comparison.

LyricalDrug said:

Ob-La-Di?

Ob-La-Di isn't filler? :| There are some tracks that are admittedly filler that I enjoy, but that isn't one of them.

(I actually like Piggies quite a bit. :huh: )

Axver said:

It's really hard to say, especially as it can be dependent on the type of music. Ultimately, I like my music to have a meaning or purpose, rather than the mindless rubbish popular on radio, and it's no secret that I am especially keen on atmospheric, ethereal music that creates sweeping soundscapes. I very much also look for talented musicians, people who can actually play their instruments with both supreme skill and a great sense of tastefulness. That's why I really enjoy Steven Wilson and John Petrucci but find Yngwie Malmsteen really boring.

One thing that's very important to me is that if a band has a vocalist, the vocalist has to actually appeal to me, either as a great vocalist (Steven Wilson, Neil Finn), or as someone whose vocals fit the style of the music (e.g. most death growlers). One reason why I really strongly dislike Radiohead is because Thom Yorke is one of the worst vocalists I've ever heard - every slower song he sings resembles three cats being strangled to death.

I could go on and on, but I won't. It just baffles me why a mediocre band with an unimpressive debut like The Arcade Fire are the darlings of this forum while a band like Pure Reason Revolution releases a very accomplished, mature debut full of rich atmospheric soundscapes and I'm the only bloody person on this forum even talking about them!

Oh, that's cool :up:

I think it's because most people here love hooks, riffs, and anything that makes pop and most genres of rock music great.

Yes guys, pop music is not just bubblegum stuff.

Tomato - tomahto

Squabbling - lively discussion

:shrug:

Between this comment and your comment in the Golden Globes thread, I have to ask: who pissed in your corn flakes this morning?

Axver said:

Hmmm...atmospheric, ethereal, sweeping soundscapes...I like your choice of words. They perfectly describe why I love The Arcade Fire! :hyper:

The beauty of this thread is that I will now check out Pure Reason Revolution. If you adore them so much, they must be at least decent.

I couldn't help but laugh after your Thom Yorke description...I think you might be half right. Maybe I'm a cat person. Also, DO NOT listen to Myxomatosis: It's the sound of three cats being strangled to death, while they sing about a fellow diseased cat. Very moving. :(

Aygo said:

That's your opinion, naturally.

I think the're good...
...but not great.

I used to hate Pearl Jam...then I saw them live. :drool:

i will agree that ed should do some more lead singing in radiohead. he has a soft voice, as opposed to thom.

Back
Top Bottom