Albums critics/fans worship that you can't stand - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2007, 12:54 AM   #46
The Male

Local Time: 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug
Radiohead - OK Computer. I can appreciate it, but it's not a very fun album to listen to.

R.E.M. - Out of Time. Just doesn't do it for me.

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks. I own it, and I understand that it's a seminal punk album, but I never feel like playing it.

Joy Division - Closer. Too depressing.

White Stripes - Elephant.
I agree with some of these, and definitely disagree with others, particularly the top and bottoms ones. However, I agree 100% with your opinion on the Sex Pistols.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:05 AM   #47
Blue Crack Distributor

It saddens me to say it, but REM's "Out of Time" has not held up well for me. There are a few very high highlights, but a lot of it is just meh now. And this is from a big REM fan.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:10 AM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

I still love "Half a World Away", though, so, I'll always at least appreciate that the album brought me that song.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:59 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:54 PM
Out Of Time = greatness. It's not their most consistant album by any means, but I think it carries some of the brightest tracks of their career (Half A World Away, Texarkana, Losing My Religion, Me In Honey, and the AMAZING Country Feedback, one of the greatest songs ever written).

And I wouldn't say Dylan is overrated. His albums all have at least something to offer, and his greatest albums really are legendary material. Especially Blood on the Tracks. Phenominal album.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:07 AM   #50
Refugee

Local Time: 03:54 AM
RE: Nirvana

I really suggest watching VH1's Classic Album's about Nevermind. Aside from having the ability to write instantly catchy songs, there's a lot more to Nirvana's music.
For instance, how many singers can "scream" completely in tune? Furthermore, the vocal melodies in their songs are undeniable. They rarely, if ever, feel forced, and just flow with the music.
I'm also a fan Krist's bass tone. It's big and bold, yet it doesn't overpower the song.
Each of the members played their instruments to serve the song - a very song oriented band, still a band greater than the sum of it's parts.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:37 AM   #51
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:54 PM
I'd have to say R.E.M. I like a couple of their songs, but the rest? Not so much. Try as I might, I just can't get into them. Their sound is so dull.

Hopefully I won't be burned to a crisp, because I know there are a lot of fans on this board. LOL
Old 01-18-2007, 03:40 AM   #52
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
Radiohead - Ok Computer

Probably not the wisest choice of album to make to on this forum but when i bought it i expected to so much and got so little back. I suppose the expectation was a huge burden to shoulder but i can't see how or why it justifies its tag of 'Best album of the 90's' which i've seen on a few 'Top 50' album lists and magazine covers.

It has some great songs like The Tourist, Lucky and Paranoid Android but a lot of it's appeal is lost on me
Totally agree there 1Step, it does have some exceptional moments, but as a whole album it doesn't stand up to The Bends, & to see it constantly being voted best album of all time in the UK baffles me.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:45 AM   #53
Refugee

Local Time: 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
Radiohead - Ok Computer

Probably not the wisest choice of album to make to on this forum but when i bought it i expected to so much and got so little back. I suppose the expectation was a huge burden to shoulder but i can't see how or why it justifies its tag of 'Best album of the 90's' which i've seen on a few 'Top 50' album lists and magazine covers.

It has some great songs like The Tourist, Lucky and Paranoid Android but a lot of it's appeal is lost on me
I agree - I just never really got into it, i bought it, listened to it over and over...but just couldn't get into it
Old 01-18-2007, 09:16 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by SpaceOddity
I'd have to say R.E.M. I like a couple of their songs, but the rest? Not so much. Try as I might, I just can't get into them. Their sound is so dull.

Hopefully I won't be burned to a crisp, because I know there are a lot of fans on this board. LOL
never could get into them..and
found "out of time"...not to be so good
Old 01-18-2007, 09:18 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Out Of Time = greatness. It's not their most consistant album by any means, but I think it carries some of the brightest tracks of their career (Half A World Away, Texarkana, Losing My Religion, Me In Honey, and the AMAZING Country Feedback, one of the greatest songs ever written).
never could get into this album..besides a couple of tracks...a lot of it I thought was meh
Old 01-18-2007, 09:20 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

another album I would like to is Oasis'
"(What's the Story) Morning Glory?"
Old 01-18-2007, 10:20 AM   #57
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet
RE: Nirvana

I really suggest watching VH1's Classic Album's about Nevermind. Aside from having the ability to write instantly catchy songs, there's a lot more to Nirvana's music.
For instance, how many singers can "scream" completely in tune? Furthermore, the vocal melodies in their songs are undeniable. They rarely, if ever, feel forced, and just flow with the music.
I'm also a fan Krist's bass tone. It's big and bold, yet it doesn't overpower the song.
Each of the members played their instruments to serve the song - a very song oriented band, still a band greater than the sum of it's parts.
Now here is someone who knows what they are talking about.

I agree 100%... some people just hate loud music, even if it is excellent music.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #58
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
Nirvana will always for me be the most overrated band I've ever come across. I like some of their songs, but, they're so revered and worshipped and I simply cannot comprehend it. Maybe it's me.

Not just you. I went through a period where I was hailing them, and I do like some of their stuff (I have three albums) but looking back, they are honestly the most overrated band of the 90's, if not the last 20 years.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #59
Refugee

Local Time: 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22
another album I would like to is Oasis'
"(What's the Story) Morning Glory?"
Sorry, but I cannot let that one pass without offering Oasis a defense. What's the Story would probably rank in my top ten albums of all time; almost every song is extremely catchy, and Don't Look Back in Anger may be one of the single best songs that I have ever heard. If any Oasis album is overrated, it is probably Definitely Maybe, which is excellent but nowhere near as seminal as critics like to present it.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

If you want to see the appeal of R.E.M. just listen to "I Believe" which is on Life's Rich Pageant. Everything great about this band packed into one short amaing morsel of heaven.