Albums critics/fans worship that you can't stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Screwtape2 said:
Let It Be.

I like the Beatles but this was a HORRIBLE album. It sounds so uninspired with most of the album feeling like filler. It's just terrible. :barf:

Let It Be >>> The White Album

Speaking of which...here's a few more:

Illinoise - Sufjan Stevens
The White Album - The Beatles
The Bends - Radiohead

Yes, I just said the Bends. It's a good record, and "can't stand" would be far too strong of a description for it, but there's no reason at all for someone to say it's the best record of the 90's or anything. :huh:

i listened to pet sounds once, and thought it was some of the worst crap I have ever heard

I LOVE the Beach Boys' hits. I could cry hearing the greatness of In My Room, Heroes And Villains, All Summer Long, God Only Knows, etc...

But I cry more when I hear the aimless filler on Pet Sounds. :sad:

LemonMelon said:
I LOVE the Beach Boys' hits. I could cry hearing the greatness of In My Room, Heroes And Villains, All Summer Long, God Only Knows, etc...

But I cry more when I hear the aimless filler on Pet Sounds. :sad:

You are redeemed. :wink:

I just remembered one that really disappointed me: "Lifted" by Bright Eyes. I would gladly never hear anything off of that album again. Next Bob Dylan my arse.

I think Nirvana is highly overrated in general, but I still think Nevermind is an excellent album.

Their best album, however, was their Unplugged in New York CD. Now THAT is some good stuff. "Where Did You Sleep Last Night"? Chills. Each time I hear it.

corianderstem said:
I think Nirvana is highly overrated in general, but I still think Nevermind is an excellent album.

Their best album, however, was their Unplugged in New York CD. Now THAT is some good stuff. "Where Did You Sleep Last Night"? Chills. Each time I hear it.

That was a pretty special album, I have to agree. Just one of those magic nights. Like I said, I like some of their stuff, but, still feel they are overrated.

Surprised nobody has rallied to Bob Dylan's defense yet.

I like some of Dylans's stuff (Like a Rolling Stone, A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall, some other tracks), and really liked his latest album, but I don't think he's the end-all, be-all.

That being said, I have loads of respect for him. I just don't care to sit around and listen to a lot of that nasal drone.

Same here...I respect his career, admire his writing, and generally am glad he exists, as he's brought a lot of people a lot of pleasure. But, to me....overrated. But, as I often wonder about a lot of things, what the fuck do I know? Not a lot.

Radiohead - OK Computer. I can appreciate it, but it's not a very fun album to listen to.

R.E.M. - Out of Time. Just doesn't do it for me.

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks. I own it, and I understand that it's a seminal punk album, but I never feel like playing it.

Joy Division - Closer. Too depressing.

White Stripes - Elephant.

LyricalDrug said:
Radiohead - OK Computer. I can appreciate it, but it's not a very fun album to listen to.

R.E.M. - Out of Time. Just doesn't do it for me.

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks. I own it, and I understand that it's a seminal punk album, but I never feel like playing it.

Joy Division - Closer. Too depressing.

White Stripes - Elephant.

I agree with some of these, and definitely disagree with others, particularly the top and bottoms ones. :sexywink: However, I agree 100% with your opinion on the Sex Pistols.

It saddens me to say it, but REM's "Out of Time" has not held up well for me. There are a few very high highlights, but a lot of it is just meh now. And this is from a big REM fan.

Out Of Time = greatness. It's not their most consistant album by any means, but I think it carries some of the brightest tracks of their career (Half A World Away, Texarkana, Losing My Religion, Me In Honey, and the AMAZING Country Feedback, one of the greatest songs ever written).

And I wouldn't say Dylan is overrated. His albums all have at least something to offer, and his greatest albums really are legendary material. Especially Blood on the Tracks. Phenominal album.

RE: Nirvana

I really suggest watching VH1's Classic Album's about Nevermind. Aside from having the ability to write instantly catchy songs, there's a lot more to Nirvana's music.
For instance, how many singers can "scream" completely in tune? Furthermore, the vocal melodies in their songs are undeniable. They rarely, if ever, feel forced, and just flow with the music.
I'm also a fan Krist's bass tone. It's big and bold, yet it doesn't overpower the song.
Each of the members played their instruments to serve the song - a very song oriented band, still a band greater than the sum of it's parts.

I'd have to say R.E.M. I like a couple of their songs, but the rest? Not so much. Try as I might, I just can't get into them. Their sound is so dull.

Hopefully I won't be burned to a crisp, because I know there are a lot of fans on this board. LOL :reject:

Last edited:
1stepcloser said:
Radiohead - Ok Computer

Probably not the wisest choice of album to make to on this forum but when i bought it i expected to so much and got so little back. I suppose the expectation was a huge burden to shoulder but i can't see how or why it justifies its tag of 'Best album of the 90's' which i've seen on a few 'Top 50' album lists and magazine covers.

It has some great songs like The Tourist, Lucky and Paranoid Android but a lot of it's appeal is lost on me :huh:

Totally agree there 1Step, it does have some exceptional moments, but as a whole album it doesn't stand up to The Bends, & to see it constantly being voted best album of all time in the UK baffles me.

1stepcloser said:
Radiohead - Ok Computer

Probably not the wisest choice of album to make to on this forum but when i bought it i expected to so much and got so little back. I suppose the expectation was a huge burden to shoulder but i can't see how or why it justifies its tag of 'Best album of the 90's' which i've seen on a few 'Top 50' album lists and magazine covers.

It has some great songs like The Tourist, Lucky and Paranoid Android but a lot of it's appeal is lost on me :huh:

I agree - I just never really got into it, i bought it, listened to it over and over...but just couldn't get into it

SpaceOddity said:
I'd have to say R.E.M. I like a couple of their songs, but the rest? Not so much. Try as I might, I just can't get into them. Their sound is so dull.

Hopefully I won't be burned to a crisp, because I know there are a lot of fans on this board. LOL :reject:

:up: never could get into them..and
found "out of time"...not to be so good:shrug:

Lancemc said:
Out Of Time = greatness. It's not their most consistant album by any means, but I think it carries some of the brightest tracks of their career (Half A World Away, Texarkana, Losing My Religion, Me In Honey, and the AMAZING Country Feedback, one of the greatest songs ever written).

never could get into this album..besides a couple of tracks...a lot of it I thought was meh:shrug:

blueyedpoet said:
RE: Nirvana

I really suggest watching VH1's Classic Album's about Nevermind. Aside from having the ability to write instantly catchy songs, there's a lot more to Nirvana's music.
For instance, how many singers can "scream" completely in tune? Furthermore, the vocal melodies in their songs are undeniable. They rarely, if ever, feel forced, and just flow with the music.
I'm also a fan Krist's bass tone. It's big and bold, yet it doesn't overpower the song.
Each of the members played their instruments to serve the song - a very song oriented band, still a band greater than the sum of it's parts.

Now here is someone who knows what they are talking about.

I agree 100%... some people just hate loud music, even if it is excellent music.

No spoken words said:
Nirvana will always for me be the most overrated band I've ever come across. I like some of their songs, but, they're so revered and worshipped and I simply cannot comprehend it. Maybe it's me.

Not just you. I went through a period where I was hailing them, and I do like some of their stuff (I have three albums) but looking back, they are honestly the most overrated band of the 90's, if not the last 20 years. :huh:

xaviMF22 said:
another album I would like to is Oasis'
"(What's the Story) Morning Glory?"

Sorry, but I cannot let that one pass without offering Oasis a defense. What's the Story would probably rank in my top ten albums of all time; almost every song is extremely catchy, and Don't Look Back in Anger may be one of the single best songs that I have ever heard. If any Oasis album is overrated, it is probably Definitely Maybe, which is excellent but nowhere near as seminal as critics like to present it.

If you want to see the appeal of R.E.M. just listen to "I Believe" which is on Life's Rich Pageant. Everything great about this band packed into one short amaing morsel of heaven. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom