Album of the Summer . . . . so far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pop Pius V

The Fly
I love this question.

Every summer there's a new one for me. Last summer I was doing Gnarls Barkley on repeat all summer long.

this summer is kinda tough.

So far I would have to say. . . .

1. Kings Of Leon, Fall to Pieces

or

2. Ryan Adams, Easy Tiger

both very awesome to listen to in the summer a lot and on repeat.

let's nail this !!!!

Ready!?!

Go!

Pop Pius V said:
I love this question.

Every summer there's a new one for me. Last summer I was doing Gnarls Barkley on repeat all summer long.

this summer is kinda tough.

So far I would have to say. . . .

1. Kings Of Leon, Fall to Pieces

or

2. Ryan Adams, Easy Tiger

both very awesome to listen to in the summer a lot and on repeat.

let's nail this !!!!

Ready!?!

Go!

That's weird. I am right there with you. Both of those albums are incredible. Kings Of Leon I heard a bit in the spring, especially the first track... on repeat for months...

but i finally listened to the rest of the album at the beginning of the summer.

However, as great as that album is, I wasn't feeling all that summery when it really clicked for me, as I do now... listening to EASY TIGER...

i don't know that any other album will get a chance now. Easy Tiger is guaranteed to monopolize the rest of the summer months for me...

and as a result, I plan on listening to the rest of Ryan Adams' catalogue all summer too

Heartbreaker - 2000
Gold - 2001
Demolition - 2002
Rock N Roll - 2003
Love Is Hell - 2004
Cold Roses - 2005
Jacksonville City Nights - 2005
29 - 2005
Easy Tiger - 2007

That should tide me over for a while, i think...

I thought the new WHITE STRIPES would be a contender, but Easy Tiger is so good, I literally almost forgot the stripes even released an album this summer.

weird

"Black birds slow and softly breaks a glass of wine
Broken bluesy WHISPER sing to me tonight"
Ryan Adams - Firecracker

---
Man is born free, and everywhere, he is in chains - Jean Jacques ROUSSEAU

Obviously, he wasn't a GOLFER.

Last edited:
Since Easy Tiger is one of the bigger musical disappointments in recent memory for me, you'll have to put me down for another vote for Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. Icky Thump is up there too.

Easy Tiger so far for me (in addition to everything else I own by Ryan and Whiskeytown). :heart:

Cherry Ghost- Thirst for Romance...not only the best album of this summer, but best of the year:wink:

Kings of Leon by a landslide...

But what is "Fall to Pieces"? The new Kings of Leon album is called "Because of the Times"....

Icky Thump...weird, wacky, and righteous :rockon:

The Smashing Pumpkins' Zeitgeist is also moving in there. If 10-minute-long political diatribes don't say summer, I don't know what does! :combust:

Re: Re: Album of the Summer . . . . so far

I think Clawgrabber is my new favorite person. :laugh: :heart:

Calling an album a grower always kind of seems like a cop out, but Easy Tiger just keeps getting better and better. I've reached the point where I crave songs and just have to listen.

bigloader said:
Kings of Leon by a landslide...

But what is "Fall to Pieces"? The new Kings of Leon album is called "Because of the Times"....

ooops

my bad,

I guess I just love the song on the album and confused it.

so spoon has got a lot of votes.

I've never really gotten in to them. Before I wiki them anyone wanna tell me what they're about?

Re: Re: Re: Album of the Summer . . . . so far

Bonochick said:

Calling an album a grower always kind of seems like a cop out, but Easy Tiger just keeps getting better and better. I've reached the point where I crave songs and just have to listen.

:wink: :wink:

hey, alright!

i know exactly what you mean, bonochick. i have had "Two" stuck in my head all today, and Halloweenhead was rattling through my brain all weekend (especially the part where Ryan goes "Guitar Solo!")

awesome.

and now Rock N Roll is catching my attention.

I loved Love is Hell and Gold already, but Ryan Adams has officially clicked for me now, thanks to Easy Tiger.

And a couple incredible performances from LETTERMAN on youtube.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

i tried Zeitgeist this morning, and it is good, but i made it 3 songs before my hankering for some Ryan Adams came back and I put on Heartbreaker. Surprise! ANOTHER GREAT ALBUM!

this guy is so talented it hurts my feelings.

Re: Re: Re: Album of the Summer . . . . so far

Bonochick said:

Haha, hilarious avatar Bonochick!

Icky Thump by a wide margin for me, I really can't get enough of it.

Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga is up there, too, and surprisingly the Pumpkin's Zeitgeist is not too far behind. It's a lot better after the first listen.

Icky Thump was cool, I guess. Just not a huge fan. I have a bad feeling they'll never release anything as good as De Stijl. Now THAT was a great album.

My favorite is by far Andrew Bird's Armchair Apocrypha. GREAT, GREAT music. If you haven't already you need to check out Andrew Bird. He's amazing. Listen to some of his stuff. It's great.

Anyways... some other great albums are:

Menomena - Friend and Foe (open your mind a bit and listen to this!!!!)
Of Montral - Hissing Fauna
Queens of the Stone age - Era Vulgaris
The Shins - Whincing the Night Away
The Good, The Bad and the Queen - Kingdom of Doom

Oh crap... you said summer. Oh well... lol.

I've been forcing Wilco's Sky Blue Sky on all of my neighbors this summer by listening to it in the car with the windows rolled down. It's got a mellow sunny afternoon vibe to it that I don't know if I would've responded to as much if it had been a fall or winter release.

I've also really been enjoying Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, as well as the Nels Cline Singers' latest release, Draw Breath. Nels Cline is one of the guitarists for Wilco, but he's also a brilliant experimental jazz artist. His work can be a little out there, but I've really been getting into it lately.

I really like Because Of the Times, but I haven't been listening to it as much since summer started. There have just been so many good albums so far this year.

what up ya'll.

I would have to say now with all certainty my choice for the album of the summer has been irrevocably altered. What once was easy tiger has been trumped by icky thump.

long live jack white.

no one does what jack white do.

Back
Top Bottom