Album Experiment: Automatic for the People - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2007, 01:09 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
I love that we're talking about this band, because for the last few years I've been too disgruntled and disappointed to even mention their name. The clips of the Dublin rehearsals have me very, very excited.
Will I get in trouble if I mention how much I enjoy the summertime vibe of Reveal? I've Been High, Beachball, Beat A Drum, Imitation of Life, I'll Take The Rain....Lots of good songs there.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:14 AM   #17
The Male

Local Time: 09:14 PM
I haven't heard anything from REM post Up. The reviews have kept me away, and I've been too busy discovering the back catalog.

Now.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:31 AM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

If Reveal and Around the Sun were from some boring white guy band they probably wouldn't seem so bad. But coming off the defiant experimentation of Up, which was so bold considering their drummer had just left the band, the last two albums don't seem very creative. And to me it just translates to unmemorable aside from a few songs here and there.

Every other album by R.E.M. couldn't have been recorded by anyone else. The last two albums sound like a band trying to be R.E.M. and only coming off like a pale imitation.

Probably not as bad as I'm making them sound, but I sure as hell wouldn't get my hopes up.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:55 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:14 PM
Quote:

I would definitely get rid of Bittersweet Me, Zither,
Binky the Doormat, though I know that last song has its supporters.[/B]
And here I am.....how could that song be left of New Adventures.... Blinky is a blast!

Low Desert needs to be ditched and maybe Undertow....just not as good as the other tunes, while Zither serves an "Endgame" like purpose....
Old 07-27-2007, 02:57 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I agree that FMK is underappreciated, but I think you really need to have the listeners well-tuned in before springing something like that on them. Imagine putting If You Wear that Velvet Dress near the head of Pop! As I said, not being right before Man On the Moon anymore gives it a lot more power, especially after Monty.
Fair call, but how well tuned? I think FMK could easily get away with being track 5, depending on what the first 3 tracks are.....
Old 07-27-2007, 02:58 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by SeattleVertigo

Will I get in trouble if I mention how much I enjoy the summertime vibe of Reveal? I've Been High, Beachball, Beat A Drum, Imitation of Life, I'll Take The Rain....Lots of good songs there.
I've Been High is an REM classic.....

And Beachball is a sensation.....that album has an amazing feel to it, very unique....
Old 07-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
I haven't heard anything from REM post Up. The reviews have kept me away, and I've been too busy discovering the back catalog.
Exactly the same here! I do know and like the hits though like Imitation, Lifting, Leaving NY etc.

As for New Adventures, yeah I guess Zither is unnecessary. I do kinda enjoy Bittersweet Me although it's nothing great. Binky is awesome and so is Low Desert, So Fast So Numb & Electrolite! What an excellent set of closing tracks!
Old 07-27-2007, 05:55 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

No love for the Wake-Up Bomb? I don't know how anyone could call NAIHF boring or dull or whatever adjective was used to describe it earlier in the thread.