Alanis Morrissette's "My Humps"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
funny enough.. though i couldn't bring myself to watch all the way through.

what a shit shit shit shit song.

So what do people think the point of this is? I was reading some of the comments on YouTube, and some think it's supposed to be funny. Others say things like this..

"I love that people are missing that this is a social commentary on how women are sexualized to sell records."

As for me I'm just considering Josh Duhamel vs Ryan Reynolds :wink:

MrsSpringsteen said:
So what do people think the point of this is? I was reading some of the comments on YouTube, and some think it's supposed to be funny. Others say things like this..

"I love that people are missing that this is a social commentary on how women are sexualized to sell records."

I think it was probably suppose to be a social commentary, but it comes off more as a parody to me...

Reminds me of when Jewel tried to be ironic, it didn't really work.

Everything about that Jewel album* screamed "SELLOUT" to me, and I really, really don't use that word lightly.

"You don't like my sensitive poetry and gentle yodeling? Fine, I'll put on a short skirt, make a danceable first single, shake my ass in the video, and hmm, maybe I'll let a women's razor brand use that song in an ad campaign, too."

*although honestly, aside from that single, was there anything else released from it? Did anyone even buy that record? I'm guessing no, because her latest release is back to her usual thing.

it would actually be pretty hard for it to be a social commentary without it also being a parody...
the original song through it's sheet terribleness is both of those, too, though.. although maybe this will cause a few people to realize how atrocious that original shit is.

re: Jewel.. i don't know what she was personally going for with that single, but I found it hilarious and I enjoyed it based on that. I mean it was so self-conscious about being oversexualized. i took it as commentary as well.

but i see everything as commentary.

I was watching this today and I realized that she was indeed trying to make a point but somehow she didn't really managed to get it across. The video sucks so bad. It's like a bad SNL parody.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if she was trying to make it a social commentary that all kinda went out the window with the cheesey accompanying video

that's what i mean.. the video was too cheesy to actually take seriously.. and it was so obvious in its oversexuality etc, i find it hard to believe it wasn't just people taking a piss.

I think she was having fun... and I'm fine with it. Yes, it was very cheesy, but I guess it was supposed to be that way.

corianderstem said:
Everything about that Jewel album* screamed "SELLOUT" to me, and I really, really don't use that word lightly.

Actually, an even worse sellout than this was Liz Phair's self-titled ablum. The one where she used the Avril Lavigne producer. :shame:

Such a shame, especially since Liz had a brain before she lobotomized herself and tried to go Top 40. :mad:

(Oh, and that Alanis cover is kitchy-cool for about the first minute and then fucking annoying as hell for the next three and a half minutes!!!!)

Last edited:
Agreed about that Liz Phair album.

But you know what? I picked up a used copy and ... I actually kind of like it. "Extraordinary" is a really great song.

But anyway, yeah, she really did go the pop route. But somehow, her transition bothered me less. She seemed really up front about it. Or maybe it feels like she wouldn't care if you went up to her and called her a sell out. :wink:

I can't believe she's taking it that seriously since even she starts cracking up at the end of the video

After viewing Alanis Morissette's genius parody of the Black Eyed Peas' "My Humps," TMZ has learned that Fergie sent flowers to Alanis this week. Flossy, flossy!

A source close to the pop star tells us that Fergie thought Morissette's version was "brilliant," and admitted to getting a huge kick out of it because she has a great sense of humor about these things. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Our source doesn't know if Fergie has seen Greg Scarnici's hysterical spoof of "Fergalicious." Hopefully, she won't think it's a drag!

That one looks interesting

http://www.tmz.com/2007/04/01/fergie-drag-alicous/

Back
Top Bottom