Airplane carry-on question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
This is more for the ladies, but maybe Zoney would know :sexywink:

I am flying to Florida for 2 days and would rather not check any luggage - anyone know if you can bring a curling iron on the plane in your carry-on bag?

Also, does anyone know if you bring your own personal pillow, does that count as one of your carry-on items? Most airlines allow 2 things on - could I bring my small suitcase, my purse, and a pillow?

Last edited:
yes, you can bring your curling iron on board. You can only carry two bags on board, including a purse. More than that will need to be checked.

Careful with the pillow. I've seen people forced to check an item when they were carrying three small items (less volume than a full size carry-on bag and brief case).

It may depend on the airline and the mood of the gate agent.

it really depends on the airline. when we went to arizona on america west, caron was allowed to take plastic crochet needles in her carry on luggage. however when we flew to boston on american airlines, she was told she couldn't bring them on. the ironic thing is that both flights originated from long beach airport through the same terminal since its a small airport!

i think it depends on how full the flight is too because sometimes they will ask you to check your carry ons at the gate if the flight is too full.

i always carry my duffle bag on and a backpack. that way i can stuff things like the pillow in the backpack and its still accessible to me.

I fly every week and carry my flat iron, hair dryer and sometimes curling iron on board and they have yet to tell me that I cannot carry it. If it is still a question Beth, I would suggest you call the airline, but remember the airline is not screening your bag when you carry it on, it is the TSA. So check out their site.

And yes about the pillow, I have seen many people have to shove it in their bags as well. I have had to shove my purse into my briefcase because it counted as a third bag.

I have checked out the TSA site and it's not on there - they have eyelash curlers listed but not an actually curling iron. I guess worst case scenario, I'll just let them have it, really don't wanna check my bag...

I've carried on more than 2 items on just about every flight I've been on in the past few months and no one has ever said anything. The only time I've seen them make people check their carryon stuff is if they are the last on the plane and there isn't any room for their stuff. I guess that's one advantage I've found of always ending up in the back of the plane...first to board so there's plenty of room for my stuff.

Time to debunk rumors....

Sorry for the delay...I am working out of town right now.

Justified is an expert! :D

It actually depends on what kind of curling iron you have. If it is a plug in...most likely you are fine. If it is a butane/gaspowered one (special power cartridges) one...that is a no go - it is a dangerous item to have on the plane.

Like Justified said...it DOESN'T depend on the airline. TSA knows to pull Dangerous Goods out of your bags and they will be looking for them. They have the screning machines.

As for carry-ons...two bags. And it doesn't mean two 22-inch rollers. It means one carry-on and a personal item (purse OR laptop, etc. etc.). If it is a pillow (a non-blowup travel pillow), put it in one of the two bags through the screening process (the people checking your id and tickets as you go through the security line are tasked with telling you you need to only take two items, otherwise, if the flight is full, the gate agent will ask you to gateside check it, and I do have to tell you...bags get VERY lost when they are gate side checked on the big jets - in other words, don't chance it!) - and you are home free on the other side (or that's what I tell my passengers).

Have a great trip!!!!

Last edited:
I'm back, no problem with the curling iron :up:

We almost missed our flight home from Jacksonville - for some reason had to go through security there even though we'd checked out ok in Tampa. There was no real layover, just enough time to change planes, but it was on the other side of the airport. My sister got pulled aside to have her bag checked because of a package of bobby pins - they couldn't tell what it was on the screen.

I was able to stuff my pillow in my bag so that worked out too. :)

Back
Top Bottom