Airline pet fees are ridiculous!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
So I booked my flight to Michigan just now and called to add on my dog. They told me it was $80 EACH WAY. WTF!!! I about died and told them I'd call back. :faint:

:madspit: to airline fees.

I know it sounds expensive but I would rather pay $80 for carry on than check an animal in like 'baggage' and have it ride in the pit of death.

Also, according to a friend who travels with her dog a lot, if one passenger complains for any reason (such as if they're allergic) then you can't take your pet on at all which for people who would refuse to put their pet in baggage, means turning around and going home. I wish that if I complained about passengers with bad hygiene or stinky perfume they'd be asked to deplane, lol.

joyfulgirl said:
I wish that if I complained about passengers with bad hygiene or stinky perfume they'd be asked to deplane, lol.

:lol:

I've had a few, well let's say, not so pleasant neighbors on flights before. It can actually ruin a flight sometimes.

joyfulgirl said:
Also, according to a friend who travels with her dog a lot, if one passenger complains for any reason (such as if they're allergic) then you can't take your pet on at all which for people who would refuse to put their pet in baggage, means turning around and going home. I wish that if I complained about passengers with bad hygiene or stinky perfume they'd be asked to deplane, lol.

That's not true.

They usually try to reaccomodate the one with allergies (at least in my world we do).

AND, if you have someone with bad enough hygene...there are ways to deny them boarding! I have also reseated a passenger with definite hygene issues.

As for pet fees...yes, they are expensive. But is probably worth it. Trust me on that.

The aircraft bins aren't too bad...and most of the folks who work "on the ramp" LOVE to see the dogs and cats come and go (I know I did). BUt I would have to imagine from the reaction of the pets, that this is all pretty traumatic (did I spell that right). I have always felt sorry for the pets in transit. They seem so scared. I would always try to use a calm, reassuring voice when boarding them (and deplaning them).

I think traveling of ALL sorts (in cabin and in the cargo bins) are traumatic for a pet. Unless it is completely necessary, I would say leave them at home with a friend.

I was thinking about this thread tonight.

I had to help unload a plane...we had a puppy coming in. After speaking to the owner..I almost felt like I should send the puppy back...poor puppy is headed for quite the life. :(

Anyway...someone else opened the cargo hold...when I walked up...you could smell the dog. Most of the time, they end of having to go to the bathroom in the kennel. I always feel bad for them...after I am able to breathe normally again.

:yuck:

zonelistener said:

I think traveling of ALL sorts (in cabin and in the cargo bins) are traumatic for a pet. Unless it is completely necessary, I would say leave them at home with a friend.

:up:

I really don't think $160 is that expensive to take a pet on a plane with you, though. :shrug:

zonelistener said:

That's not true.

They usually try to reaccomodate the one with allergies (at least in my world we do). them).

That's good to know. I don't know what kind of experience my friend had that made her think that. :shrug:

Sicy said:
I know it sounds expensive but I would rather pay $80 for carry on than check an animal in like 'baggage' and have it ride in the pit of death.

:up: :yes:

It's for this reason - and many others - I have never flown with my dog. He's a bigger dog, not overly fond of crates and when he was younger, he would NOT have been happy at all in some cabin all alone. Add the fees of flying him and the situation became illogical.

As such, I've made many 1000 mile one-way journeys in my car with him. When I moved to New England in '97, I knew that the only way I'd see family in Chicago for an extended time would be if I drove with my dog. So off we went. I did this trip almost once a year since '98 - sometimes twice. While a long drive, going there - especially right before the holidays start - is kind of fun. There's the anticipation of the holidays, the fun of listening to Christmas music, etc. On the way back though, with the thought of work resuming and the holidays and the vacation over, it is a long ride. Blah. Still, it's the only way I'd travel with him. And now that he's an old dog (will be 13 this year), there is no alternative.

One of my ex-coworkers had two Boston Terriers he always takes along. Last time he flew to Texas, he didn't have to pay any fee. I'm not quite sure how this worked out, but he didn't call ahead to say he had dogs. I think when he checked his other bags, they didn't notice the dogs and didn't ask, and when he went through the other security stuff, they assumed he'd already paid the fee for the dogs. He says he brings them carry-on in those little duffel pet carriers and they've never barked on the plane, no one even noticed they're there.

Yeah. I mean, he wasn't trying to sneak them on, b/c he flies to Boston all the time and pays, but going to Texas, no one asked. :shrug: Maybe it was a diff. airline and they don't charge?

Back
Top Bottom