Air Pollution Rapidly Killing Joshua Trees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Saw this article from the Desert Sun and thought it would definitely be of interest on this forum, especially when so many U2 fans make the trek to Joshua Tree. Get more information about the trees here.

JOSHUA TREE NATIONAL PARK - Writhing stands of Joshua trees like the ones that mesmerize visitors to Joshua Tree National Park have survived thousands of years in the notoriously inhospitable climate just north of the Coachella Valley.
Whether the surreal trees can withstand impacts of air pollution and global warming on the park that bears their name is another story.

New climate models highlighted in a report released today indicate, within 100 years, Joshua trees could be all but vanquished from the national park in the Mojave desert.

"Global warming isn't new. What is alarming is the rate of change," said Luke Sabala, the park's physical scientist as he overlooked a spot where, in 1999, fire wiped out a huge stand of Joshua trees.

Since then, invasive weeds, fueled by nitrogen deposits from automobile tailpipes and other sources, have grown over the landscape.

That really pisses me off.

I've always loved the desert, especially the plant life.
Really a shame to see this happening.
It never ceases to amaze me what we can manage to do to even the hardiest of life.

Back
Top Bottom