Ahhh yes... It's March Madness Time.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michigan State now has the less than honorable distinction of being my first Elite Eight team to get knocked out.

Bravo, Spartans.

the rockin edge said:
the guys on cbs seem to think UConn is gonna win it all now

Depends on which UConn you think is the real UConn -- the one that trailed by 10 points over the first 30 minutes, or the one that outscored Albany 30-7 over the last 10 minutes.

ugh what a bad end to first round

started off great yesterday picking successfully 15/16 times

today I was not so lucky and was only 10/16 making 25/32 for first round

not only that, but I lost 1/4 of my elite 8 today with Iowa and Kansas getting upset:mad:

After yesterday's respectable 13-3 finish, I went a mediocre 10-6 today.

Two Sweet Sixteen teams gone (Cuse, Iowa) and one of my Elite Eight (Mich St).

I think that having most of my 16 and 8 left is good for the rest of the tourney. I still feel pretty confident about my Final Four and championship picks as well. However, a 23-9 first round is very, very disappointing.

the rockin edge said:

:angry:

who's your team WHA? Illinois?

c36ar.jpg

proud alum here. :drool:

the rockin edge said:

i guess today sucked for you then:wink:

Not for me :happy:

I haven't missed a game today (other than A&M/LSU, I had Cuse in that one) and I've got UCLA and Indy right now.

Indy is a tease :mad: keeps getting sorta close but never quite gets there

Chizip said:
i couldnt have picked a better position for Indiana, the bracket is definitely set up for them to make a run

fmattyh said:

You guys are killing me!! :mad: :wink: Gonzaga has not made it to the Sweet 16 in their last three appearances. And look at how this team has played over the last few months. Quit giving them free passes for what they did seven years ago.

Gonzaga will not get past SDSU/Indiana. Hell, they may not even get past Xavier.

Chizip said:
seriously

gonzaga stinks

hi... my name is joe powerconferencebasketballplayer. i dribble too much, take bad shots, and lack all key fundamentals, but i can dunk like a sonofabitch, cross over in the open court when it's unneccesary (and a carry) and slap the backboard on my layups, so i'm gonna be a millionaire in the nba some day. sure. i'll make the olympic team one year and lose to lichtenstein. but who cares... look at all my bling.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the SEC, Pac-10 and yes, my hated MVC have all faired very well in the tourney thus far... so if that holds to form, today we should see Bradley beat Pitt, Arizona beat Villanova, Kentucky beat UConn and Georgetown - Ohio State end in a tie.

lol... and here i was just joking.

seriously though... i take back all i said about the MVC... not that they aren't as good as the ACC, that hasn't been proven yet as the ACC is undefeated in the tourney thus far with two teams playing today... but the MVC certainly have proven that they deserved to get 4 teams in as well... and the conference who's shown that despite having 500 teams in their conference didn't deserve to have as many as they have in the big dance is none other than hte big east... who's been absolutely terrible. even in victory, uconn and villanova looked like dog shit.

and then there's the big 10... :tsk: for shame... michigan state loses to a george mason team without their best ball punching player. only one big 10 team remains, ohio state... and they were trailing to 15th seed davidson midway through the 2nd half.

The MVC teams in the tournament are a hell of a lot better than, say, Maryland (who just lost in the first round of the NIT).

The point of being in a power conference, after all, is to actually *beat* the good teams in the conference, not just play them. If a power-conference team proves that it can't beat the good teams, why not give the unknown teams a chance?

Heh. I had picked Kansas to win three straight years back in th 90s.

I had them winning in my CBS Sportsline bracket (scoring is seed-weighted, so North Carolina at 3x wasn't that bad a pick). But UNC melted down like Roy Williams teams always melt down -- bad shots, stupid turnovers, etc.

the only team that's ever won a championship for roy williams was the team he never recruited. go figure.

man i still can't friggin stand uconn. they are so unskilled it's pathetic... and now these damned mid major teams both advanced to the sweet 16 so all uconn has to do is beat washington and they're baisicly in the final 4.

i've now become a huge washington fan... at least for next weekend.

what a bad first weekend for me

lost...

7 sweet sixteen teams (8 if nova loses)
4 elite 8 teams
1 final four team
1 team in the finals (they were the loser though)

man i still can't friggin stand uconn. they are so unskilled it's pathetic... and now these damned mid major teams both advanced to the sweet 16 so all uconn has to do is beat washington and they're baisicly in the final 4.

That's not really true. Yeah, UConn has an army of big goons down low, and Rudy Gay is some athletic freak who doesn't get the most out of his talent, but Rashad Anderson is an excellent shooter. And Marcus Williams is by far the best PG in the country -- definitely better at distributing the ball than distributing stolen merchandise, at any rate.

i'll give you williams and anderson, and denham brown has improved drasticly since his freshman year...

but i can't stand watching uconn play... even when everything's clicking on all cylanders, which is rarely for more than 5 minutes at a time anymore... they run NO plays, they bump the shit out of everyone on defense.. their huge advantage is supposedly their bigs and they are TERRIBLE. i wish i had a penny for every air ball i've seen josh boone shoot this year... i'd have a bunch of pennies. and i'm not gonna even talk about what a joke rudy gay is... but frankly without their incredible size, length and athleticism of the guys down low, i don't see them as any better than, say, Pitt. but it's those big goons down low that allows them to be this successful, and i can't stand it. neither of those guys have the offensive skills of sheldin williams, and sheldin williams' offense stinks.

it's been said already... if calhoun didn't allow a laptop theif to come back early, we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now 'cause uconn's season would probably already be over.

every "expert" on earth talked about how losing to syracuse was "a wake up call" for "by far the most talented team in the nation," completely ignoring that they almost lost to louisville and notre dame coming down the stretch... and now they've nearly blown it to friggin university of albany and a sub-par kentucky team. is it still just a wake up call? or, with the disapointing performance by the big east thus far in this tournament, combined with all these close calls, has uconn been exposed for what they really are? can anyone really watch this team play on a consistant basis and honestly tell me that the fact that nba scouts see 6 potential first round draft picks on the uconn roster, including a potential #1 overall in rudy gay, and not tie that to the reasons why american basketball sucks right now and we lose to the friggin puerto ricans? or am i just crazy?

i think jim calhoun may have replaced roy williams as my most disliked coach in all of college basketball.

and now that i've gone on my uconn sucks rant, i have officialy planted the black kiss of death on every other team, and they will go on to win the title and set american basketball back another 5 years. yayy me.

Last edited:
the only team that's ever won a championship for roy williams was the team he never recruited. go figure.

i've now become a huge washington fan... at least for next weekend.
We'll take all the fans we can get! Time to avenge for Rip Hamilton's buzzer-beater in '98 Sweet Sixteen, when UConn was a 2 seed and UW was an 11. I still have nightmares about that shot...

OK, so Gonzaga is in the Sweet Sixteen - on that note, I will eat crow. However, I was at least somewhat justified by their performance against Xavier, yes? Beating Indiana does not impress me much either, considering how SPECTACULAR the Big 10 has been this year. I hope UCLA will run them out of the building, but since I'm not convinced UCLA is very good, it'll be a close match.

Anyway, all is good - Washington is still alive and I'm in first place in Interference Pick-em. ...unfortunately, I won't be in first for long, based on my Elite Eight and Final Four picks...

Back
Top Bottom