Ahhh yes... It's March Madness Time. - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2006, 10:12 AM   #61
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:43 AM
gonzaga is more debatable than GW... their conference stinks, but they at the very least tried to play a very difficult non conference schedule... with maryland, michigan state, uconn, washington, memphis, st. joe's, virginia, oklahoma state & stanford.

maryland, washington, uconn, michigan state and memphis were all top 25 teams when they played gonzaga... unexpected poor season by maryland, washington, st. joe's virginia and ok state ended up knocking gonzaga's SOS and RPI down a notch.

the problem with gonzaga is that playing so many shit teams in their conference is bound to bring most teams down a notch, and then it's tought to turn it back up come tournament time.

i don't know if i'd rank them #4... maybe between 8 and 12 would be more realistic for them. GW is a 20-30 team to me... even with pops. (i just gave them the black kiss of death... watch them go to the final 4 now).

but because gonzaga has done so well in the rankings the past few years, they've actually made people look at other mid-major schools... your MVC & CAA teams, and consider giving them high rankings.

i don't care what anyone tells me... I find it very difficult to believe that there are as many if not more tournament caliber teams in the Missouri Valley Conference than in the ACC.

i heard one of these so called experts on ESPN Radio this morning actually make a case for six teams from the MVC and three from the CAA, with the ACC only getting 4, maybe 5. that's just silly. you wanna put 2 teams from the CAA in? fine... wanna put 2 or 3 from the MVC? fine. but 3 from the CAA and 6 from the MVC? come on now... let's get serious here.

Old 03-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #62
The Fly

I went to St. Bonaventure 5 years ago, so lets take it easy on the Bonnies...its a rough time.

But I agree and disagree with you on GW, if I can do that. True they lost and looked bad in doing so, but they lost to a team that has beaten up on a few good teams, including a couple of ACC and SEC clubs. GW is playing without their best player for the A-10 tourney, a player who is likely a 1st rounder in the NBA draft next year, so that is tough. He'll be back for the NCAAs. But I hear what you are saying, #6 might be a bit lofty. I think since all of the top schools kept losing (hard SOS's will have that), and since GW kept winning (weak SOS's will have that as well), they kept moving up. With that said, I see GW going to the Sweet 16 and possibly making it to the Elite 8. They have the offensive power to do so, they just need to string it together. They are similar to West Virginia. if the shots are falling, they'll be hard to stop, if they aren't falling, we could see an early exit.

One more thing on the loss, John Chaney is a genius with his zones and traps and if Temple goes, they'll be tough for anyone. Should be a good one tonight between St. Joe's and Temple...

Old 03-10-2006, 03:19 PM   #63
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by odowdpa
I went to St. Bonaventure 5 years ago, so lets take it easy on the Bonnies...its a rough time.

But I agree and disagree with you on GW, if I can do that. True they lost and looked bad in doing so, but they lost to a team that has beaten up on a few good teams, including a couple of ACC and SEC clubs. GW is playing without their best player for the A-10 tourney, a player who is likely a 1st rounder in the NBA draft next year, so that is tough. He'll be back for the NCAAs. But I hear what you are saying, #6 might be a bit lofty. I think since all of the top schools kept losing (hard SOS's will have that), and since GW kept winning (weak SOS's will have that as well), they kept moving up. With that said, I see GW going to the Sweet 16 and possibly making it to the Elite 8. They have the offensive power to do so, they just need to string it together. They are similar to West Virginia. if the shots are falling, they'll be hard to stop, if they aren't falling, we could see an early exit.

One more thing on the loss, John Chaney is a genius with his zones and traps and if Temple goes, they'll be tough for anyone. Should be a good one tonight between St. Joe's and Temple...
i'm not knocking GW because they lost to temple, merely saying that they are not as good as their ranking.

and pops is listed as undrafted on nbadraft.net, and isn't even in espn.com insider's top 100 nba prospect list. he would need one amazing camp to jump into the 1st round, as most scouts don't even have him being drafted now.

and GW is noooooothing like west virginia. west virginia is a much better peremeter shooting team, they have tons of experience, play in what's largely considered to be the toughest conference in the NCAA, and they have two projected first round picks in pittsnoggle and gansey.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:42 PM   #64
The Fly

Time will tell on GW.

But I dont see either Gansey or Pittsnogle going in the first. Pittsnogle, despite his size, is too raw close to the rim to be able to garner a lot of attn. I'd almost rather him shooting a 3 then a 5 footer, which is where he'd be in the NBA. Sure, he can shoot the rock, but so can the NBA guards. Who would you rather have shooting? He won't cut it and he has a tendancy to go ice cold every so often (most notably, see Pitt game from earlier this year) And Gansey, whom I've seen play in person for two years during his tenure at St. Bonnies, is all heart and guts, but physically wont cut it at the next level. He's one of the teams leading rebounders at 6-4.....big difference between college and NBA at this size. he's a hell of a shooter, but that can only take you so far. They'll probably be drafted, but whoever takes them is taking a chance.

Look at Redick. Sick, sick shooter. Mid-first rounder, no where near the top, maybe not even lottery. Its tough to be a shooting guard in the NBA.

If WV goes cold, there will be an early exit, if Gansey is still hurt, probable early exit. if he shoots the lights out, possible Final 4 team.

And if GW scores 79 points a game, like they averged this year, they can do some real damage, if they score in the 50s like they did against Temple.....could be an early exit. Depends on how they shoot, like I said.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:43 PM   #65
The Fly

I just checked collegehoopsnet and they have Pops as a late second rounder. I said first round because I heard one of the talking heads mention it a couple of weeks back on ESPN.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #66
Blue Crack Distributor

i'm not pulling this stuff out of my ass here... i pulled the info from two of the most respected draft previews on the web... nbadraft.net and espn insider's chad forde. i'm not saying i even agree with the rankings... i think anyone who takes rudy gay over adam morrison should lose their job... i'm just saying what those in the know are saying.

nbadraft.net's latest mock draft
last updated march 6

1. charlotte - rudy gay
2. chicago - lemarcus aldridge
3. portland - adam morrison
4. atlanta - andrea bargnani
5. orlando - josh mcroberts
6. toronto - tyrus thomas
7. seattle - rodney carney
8. boston - randy foye
9. golden state - j.j. redick
10. chicago - ronnie brewer
11. minnesota - shelden williams
12. houston - mardy collins
13. sacramento - brandon roy
14. utah - rajon rondo
15. new orleans - maurice ager
16. philadelphia - aaron gray
17. phoenix - tiago spiltter
18. washington - daniel gibson
19. new york - richard roby
20. new orleans - rudy fernandez
21. indiana - josh boone
22. new jersey - hilton armstrong
23. memphis - kevin pittsnogle
24. cleveland - oleksiy pecherov
25. new jersey - marcus williams
26. lakers - paul davis
27. phoenix - taj gray
28. dallas - marco killingsworth
29. new york - marcus vinicius
30. portland - mike gansey

espn.com's top 30 nba draft prospect rankings
1. lamarcus aldridge
2. rudy gay
3. adam morrison
4. andrea bargnani
5. tyrus thomas
6. rodney carney
7. ronnie brewer
8. shelden williams
9. randy foye
10. joakim noah
11. tiago spiltter
12. j.j. redick
13. rajon rondo
14. josh mcroberts
15. brandon roy
16. julian wright
17. mardy collins
18. al horford
19. paul davis
20. nick fazekas
21. tyler hansbrough
22. shawne williams
23. maurice ager
24. corey brewer
25. marcus williams
26. hilton armstrong
27. josh boone
28. daniel gibson
29. aaron gray
30. brandon rush
Old 03-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

hell of a run by 'Cuse, winning two straight nail biters and beating the #1 team in the nation.

their definetly through to the big dance, so i hope they lose tonite to my Hoyas
Old 03-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #68
Refugee

Local Time: 08:43 PM
March is for NRL- The national Rugby League for Australia!!!

Opening match was last night!

Great season opener with West Tigers still defending their crown as premiers of the Telstra Premiership of 2005!

Old 03-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

First, you open TWO NRL threads at the same time, and now you post in the wrong thread.

What have you been drinking? Cuz I'd like to try some...
Old 03-11-2006, 09:25 AM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

So now Villanova, the #2 team, lost, and Duke barely won.

The next few weeks are going to be very interesting...
Old 03-11-2006, 10:44 AM   #71
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!
March is for NRL- The national Rugby League for Australia!!!
dude, no one cares... go post in your rugby thread, unless you want me to start posting pictures of popeye jones all over your rugby thread...

don't tempt me.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Gerry McNamara is having a Big East tournament for the ages, just in terms of clutchness alone, it'll be unmatched even if he goes 0 for 33 in the final vs. Pitt.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:46 PM   #73
Blue Crack Distributor

paulus and mcroberts played very well in the second half today... they need to continue to play at this level if duke's gonna win the title.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:32 PM   #74
Blue Crack Distributor

just a side note, in case anything's been lost in translation here... the term "march madness" is an american term for the college basketball post-season, which takes place almost entirely in the month of march.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:32 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:43 AM
march madness