Ahhh yes... It's March Madness Time. - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2006, 03:53 AM   #256
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cjboog
Well I guess we can agree to disagree. As a Zags fan, I see it as them completely screwing up in the last minute because they completely controlled that game for 38.5 minutes.
I wouldn't call a 71-66 lead with 2 minutes to go, or a 71-62 lead with 3 minutes to go, "complete control". But that's just me.

Quote:

since when are big men supposed to just hold the ball up in the air? It's not like other players can't jump up and knock the ball away.
See: Karl Malone, 1998 NBA Finals Game 6. Again, the problem was that Batista didn't see Farmar coming from behind because he had another guy in his face.

Quote:

Call the defense what you like, but the Zags had some great looks that they failed to capitalize on in the last few minutes not to mention the turnovers.
The one Gonzaga shot of the last 3 minutes that I think was a "great look" was the putback of Raivio's three that Batista missed. In a previous post you lumped in Batista's last-gasp shot with all the others, which is unfair. The other shots were typical Morrison shots where he doesn't really get a whole lot of separation from his guy but gets enough of a look at the basket that he shoots a good percentage. He just happened to miss a few of them.

Gonzaga's only turnover down the stretch was when Raivio was driving for the winning score, ran into traffic, and Mbah A Moute dove onto the floor to steal his dribble. Now that's hardcore.

Quote:

We are obviously not going to agree. Here is how I sum up the game:

1. Gonzaga dominated for 9/10 of the game
2. UCLA never gave up and kept fighting
3. Gonzaga choked in the last 2 minutes, missing ALL their shots and turning the ball over (most of which was their own carelessness IMO)
4. JP Batista made a bonehead play that ended up costing Gonzags the game
If Gonzaga had won the game and UCLA fans started saying that they gave the game away in the first half by taking dumb shots early in their possessions, I think you'd be rather indignant about it, and rightly so.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:07 AM   #257
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:10 PM
I caught a bit of the first half of the game when UCLA was getting their arse kicked. Got busy later on, and heard hubby screaming at the TV (UCLA fan). Then I heard they won and they apparently made a miraculous comeback. WTG UCLA

Old 03-24-2006, 07:19 AM   #258
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cjboog
UCLA did not win that game, Gonzaga lost it, they fucked up so bad its funny.
I never understand when people say this. Is it supposed to make them feel better about the loss?
Old 03-24-2006, 07:36 AM   #259
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase on Nov 17

ok you can close the thread now... nothing left to discuss. barring injury problems, no one is beating duke.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson on Nov 17

I don't think Duke will win it all...not enough size and power, so on a night in March when those 3's don't fall...they're going to be sent home.
And I think size and power were in LSU's favor last night
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase also on Nov 17
oh come on.

the only team in the nation that could challange duke for the title this year is texas... and they'll playe each other in early january at the meadowlands.
this duke team is rediculous... i'd be shocked if they don't win it all. shocked.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Just remember that I told you on Nov 17, "prepare to be shocked".

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

i will... and you remember what i said too and we'll compare memories in march.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:25 AM   #260
Blue Crack Addict

You knew that post was coming.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:29 AM   #261
ONE
love, blood, life

Are everyone's brackets just as worthless as mine are right now?
Old 03-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #262
Blue Crack Addict

I have UCLA winning it all, so I'm still good.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:38 AM   #263
Blue Crack Addict

I'm pissed because I had Gonzaga in the final.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:40 AM   #264
Blue Crack Distributor

i remembered what i said, and i have no problem owning up to it.

i should have known better when i made those comments... you're right. duke was a team built around skilled players, not athleticism and physicality like a uconn, a lsu or a memphis. that's the state of american basketball today, like it or not. i'm just living in a dream world where teams that actually run offenses and have guys who can make free throws and jump shots can still win. and then a night like last night happens, and duke, west virginia and gonzaga all go down to grinding, physical defensive minded teams. american basketball is at a point where guys with little to no offensive skill, like josh boone, tyrus thomas, or at the next level, ben wallace, can dominate a game. i don't like it... hate it even... but it's just fact. duke doesn't do that, and probably never will.

one thing that i held to all season was proven correct last night, even in defeat... i always said that sheldin williams was the most important player, and that duke could still win if JJ had a bad game. how does last night prove that? easy... under 2 minutes left in the game, JJ's been completely shut down for the entire game, and duke is down 1 point with the ball. mcroberts and sheldin miss a few close shots, LSU eventually gains control of the ball, and they make a shot. but with JJ playing a bad game, it was still anyone's game in the final 2 minutes. so duke can/could win with JJ having a bad game, they just didn't. sheldin williams tooled up "big baby" all game long.

i was actually a bit disapointed with coach k last night... i think they shold have put the ball in the hands of josh mcroberts more often and used JJ as a decoy. it seemed like they were doing just that when duke took that 5 point lead mid way through the 2nd half, after JJ was taken out of the game for a brief talk with coach K.

a few other random thoughts...

a uconn vs. lsu championship game would be my worst nightmare come true.

mark few is slowly turning into the new roy williams... great recruiter, bad big game coach.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:54 AM   #265
ONE
love, blood, life

tyrus thomas is a freak of nature.

Did I see JJ Re-Dick-ulous shed a tear when he went to the bench at the end?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:05 AM   #266
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
i remembered what i said, and i have no problem owning up to it.

i should have known better when i made those comments... you're right. duke was a team built around skilled players, not athleticism and physicality like a uconn, a lsu or a memphis. that's the state of american basketball today, like it or not. i'm just living in a dream world where teams that actually run offenses and have guys who can make free throws and jump shots can still win. and then a night like last night happens, and duke, west virginia and gonzaga all go down to grinding, physical defensive minded teams. american basketball is at a point where guys with little to no offensive skill, like josh boone, tyrus thomas, or at the next level, ben wallace, can dominate a game. i don't like it... hate it even... but it's just fact. duke doesn't do that, and probably never will.

Defense is still 50% of the game, isn't it? And Duke is a mediocre defensive team that tries to hide its shortcomings by overpressuring the ball and trying to take charges, the way Coach K always teaches his teams to play. The refs weren't calling the game that way, and Duke never adjusted.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:33 AM   #267
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
I'm pissed because I had Gonzaga in the final.
Me too.

My only Final Four teams left are Villanova (who I picked to win the whole tomato) and Texas.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #268
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

Defense is still 50% of the game, isn't it? And Duke is a mediocre defensive team that tries to hide its shortcomings by overpressuring the ball and trying to take charges, the way Coach K always teaches his teams to play. The refs weren't calling the game that way, and Duke never adjusted.
duke's defense was no issue in why they lost the game last night. it's not like LSU won because of their stellar offensive performance... their offense was horrific. duke lost because lsu's superior athleticism and physicality on the defensive side of the floor completely took duke's offense out of the game.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:01 PM   #269
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

duke's defense was no issue in why they lost the game last night. it's not like LSU won because of their stellar offensive performance... their offense was horrific. duke lost because lsu's superior athleticism and physicality on the defensive side of the floor completely took duke's offense out of the game.
No question LSU shutting down Redick was the key to the game. But Duke allowed a backup forward to drive for five easy buckets, they let the LSU point guard penetrate, and they gave up tons of offensive rebounds and putbacks because Shelden Williams had to leave his man and cover somebody else's ass the way he always does.

This year's Duke team just isn't a complete, well-rounded team. No team in the tournament this year is, not like UNC in 2005, Duke in 2001, UConn in 1999, or Kentucky in 1996 and 1998.

And saying West Virginia as some sort of ideal, when a big part of their game plan is jacking up tons of 3s because their lack of rebounding gives their opponents so many more shot opportunities...dunno about that.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:03 PM   #270
Acrobat

Another glorious day of basketball. Not only does Gonzaga go home (literally) crying, but LSU beats Duke as well. Unfortunately, I think it's all downhill from here, as Washington will likely lose tonight and my bracket will go downhill as I have both Kansas and Nevada in the final four (gulp).