Ahhh yes... It's March Madness Time. - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #241
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:56 AM
meh... georgetown beating ohio state is just about the only upset i picked that actually happened

Old 03-23-2006, 03:19 PM   #242
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:56 PM
TEXAS FIGHT

Old 03-23-2006, 09:27 PM   #243
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Wow. When Duke loses a rebound on a late-game free throw when the shooter is the only guy down there, you know they're toast.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:31 PM   #244
Blue Crack Addict

Old 03-23-2006, 09:37 PM   #245
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Also, when will ESPN learn to stop hyping up these supposed greatest teams/programs ever? First they say the Colts might go undefeated, then they say USC is one of the best two college football teams ever, then they compare Duke's Sweet 16 streak to UCLA's streak of championships. Geez.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:32 AM   #246
Blue Crack Addict

wow what a game
Old 03-24-2006, 12:32 AM   #247
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Wow.

The last basket for UCLA was like Bird stealing the ball from Isiah, or like MJ hacking the ball away from Karl Malone and then shoving Bryon Russell.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:19 AM   #248
Refugee

Local Time: 11:56 PM
I am probably the biggest Gonzaga fan in this forum and I am so mad right now if I see anything moving, I will attack it and kill it. I think I have screamed different profanities about 500 times in the last half hour. UCLA did not win that game, Gonzaga lost it, they fucked up so bad its funny. I think I am going to go find JP Batista and kill him right now......
Old 03-24-2006, 01:54 AM   #249
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by cjboog
I am probably the biggest Gonzaga fan in this forum and I am so mad right now if I see anything moving, I will attack it and kill it. I think I have screamed different profanities about 500 times in the last half hour. UCLA did not win that game, Gonzaga lost it, they fucked up so bad its funny. I think I am going to go find JP Batista and kill him right now......
Now I know Gonzaga gave a textbook illustration of how not to break a press on that one possession, but could you point out the plays where Gonzaga scored the last 11 points in UCLA's basket? Thanks.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:12 AM   #250
Refugee

Let's review:

3:26 Morrison made free throw
2:22 Morrison missed jumper
1:39 Raivio missed 3 pointer
1:35 Batista missed layup
1:01 Morrison missed jumper
0:23 Morrison missed jumper
0:02 Batista missed jumper

Gonzaga missed their last 6 shots down the stretch. Those shots were the single most important 6 shots of the game. And if JP Batista had held onto the ball, UCLA would have fouled and it would have been almost impossible for them to come back from that. Hats off to UCLA for hanging in there, but if Gonzaga had their heads out of their asses, this game should have been a certain win.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:26 AM   #251
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I think your sarcasm detector needs new batteries.

Ever hear of the concept of "defense"? (This question is another example of sarcasm.)
Old 03-24-2006, 02:38 AM   #252
Refugee

I don't have a sarcasm detector right now because my head is pulsating violently from that humiliating defeat...

By the way, it wasn't like UCLA was playing utterly spectacular defense, GU just missed their shots. They had countless opportunities to put the game away and made one stupid mistake after another. Just stop and think -- if Batista had grabbed the ball on that inbounds play and held onto it, UCLA would have fouled him for sure. If he had made at least one of the free throws, it would have been difficult for the Bruins to come back. All he had to do was hold onto the ball instead of waving it over his head like he was some kind of idiot.

I have a sarcastic question for you now: Ever heard of "choking"?
Old 03-24-2006, 02:59 AM   #253
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by cjboog

By the way, it wasn't like UCLA was playing utterly spectacular defense, GU just missed their shots.
It was solid if unspectacular team defense, the type of which UCLA has played over the last few games.

Quote:

They had countless opportunities to put the game away and made one stupid mistake after another. Just stop and think -- if Batista had grabbed the ball on that inbounds play and held onto it, UCLA would have fouled him for sure. If he had made at least one of the free throws, it would have been difficult for the Bruins to come back. All he had to do was hold onto the ball instead of waving it over his head like he was some kind of idiot.
That entire possession was poor team play against a press. It wasn't just Batista's fault. The first pass into the left corner to Morrison was a bad idea. The crosscourt pass to Batista in the other corner was also a bad idea. And nobody came to get the ball from Batista.

There were 20 seconds left when the ball was inbounded. UCLA clearly did not plan to foul until less than 10 seconds or so were left. They tried to strip the ball from Morrison, but he got rid of it. Batista held the ball up high like big men are supposed to do; he just didn't see Farmar sneaking up from behind, and Farmar made a great steal. If he had held the ball in his chest, he'd have been even more susceptible to a strip or a held ball, which would have given the ball to UCLA.

Quote:

I have a sarcastic question for you now: Ever heard of "choking"?
Yes. Yes I have. Tends not to happen unless the other team does something to make it happen.

I was an occassional poster in this forum as far back as October 2003, when Grady Little left Pedro in for the eighth inning. I threw several objects at the TV as it was happening. Doesn't take anything away from what the Yankees accomplished that night though.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:30 AM   #254
Refugee

Well I guess we can agree to disagree. As a Zags fan, I see it as them completely screwing up in the last minute because they completely controlled that game for 38.5 minutes. The free throws by Hollins were made with 20 seconds left so by the time Batista got the ball there were 15 seconds left. All he had to do was hang onto it for a little bit longer, and since when are big men supposed to just hold the ball up in the air? It's not like other players can't jump up and knock the ball away. He should have had the ball low and close to his body, swinging it around and pivoting so the UCLA players couldn't he just taken it away from him....

Call the defense what you like, but the Zags had some great looks that they failed to capitalize on in the last few minutes not to mention the turnovers.

We are obviously not going to agree. Here is how I sum up the game:

1. Gonzaga dominated for 9/10 of the game
2. UCLA never gave up and kept fighting
3. Gonzaga choked in the last 2 minutes, missing ALL their shots and turning the ball over (most of which was their own carelessness IMO)
4. JP Batista made a bonehead play that ended up costing Gonzags the game

Anyway, I now hope UCLA kicks Memphis's ass
Old 03-24-2006, 03:40 AM   #255
Refugee

Well, I'm a Gonzaga season ticket holder and watched pretty much all of their games this season, so I am very disappointed. However, Speedracer, you can consider my rant officially over, I am too tired to continue. Good night