Ahhh yes... It's March Madness Time. - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2006, 08:07 AM   #226
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:37 AM
the SEC, Pac-10 and yes, my hated MVC have all faired very well in the tourney thus far... so if that holds to form, today we should see Bradley beat Pitt, Arizona beat Villanova, Kentucky beat UConn and Georgetown - Ohio State end in a tie.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #227
Blue Crack Distributor

hi... my name is joe powerconferencebasketballplayer. i dribble too much, take bad shots, and lack all key fundamentals, but i can dunk like a sonofabitch, cross over in the open court when it's unneccesary (and a carry) and slap the backboard on my layups, so i'm gonna be a millionaire in the nba some day. sure. i'll make the olympic team one year and lose to lichtenstein. but who cares... look at all my bling.

Old 03-19-2006, 02:25 PM   #228
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
the SEC, Pac-10 and yes, my hated MVC have all faired very well in the tourney thus far... so if that holds to form, today we should see Bradley beat Pitt, Arizona beat Villanova, Kentucky beat UConn and Georgetown - Ohio State end in a tie.
lol... and here i was just joking.

seriously though... i take back all i said about the MVC... not that they aren't as good as the ACC, that hasn't been proven yet as the ACC is undefeated in the tourney thus far with two teams playing today... but the MVC certainly have proven that they deserved to get 4 teams in as well... and the conference who's shown that despite having 500 teams in their conference didn't deserve to have as many as they have in the big dance is none other than hte big east... who's been absolutely terrible. even in victory, uconn and villanova looked like dog shit.

and then there's the big 10... for shame... michigan state loses to a george mason team without their best ball punching player. only one big 10 team remains, ohio state... and they were trailing to 15th seed davidson midway through the 2nd half.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #229
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

The MVC teams in the tournament are a hell of a lot better than, say, Maryland (who just lost in the first round of the NIT).

The point of being in a power conference, after all, is to actually *beat* the good teams in the conference, not just play them. If a power-conference team proves that it can't beat the good teams, why not give the unknown teams a chance?
Old 03-19-2006, 02:56 PM   #230
Blue Crack Distributor

well the thought is that the power-conference teams should be better than the mid-major teams... and that thought is true. they should be. they just aren't in many cases.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:22 PM   #231
Blue Crack Distributor

aaaand there goes my first final four team, losing to the ball punchers.

why again did i pick a team coached by my least favorite coach in all of college basketball?

hofstra's probably a bit pissed off right about now.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:38 PM   #232
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Heh. I had picked Kansas to win three straight years back in th 90s.

I had them winning in my CBS Sportsline bracket (scoring is seed-weighted, so North Carolina at 3x wasn't that bad a pick). But UNC melted down like Roy Williams teams always melt down -- bad shots, stupid turnovers, etc.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:48 PM   #233
Blue Crack Distributor

the only team that's ever won a championship for roy williams was the team he never recruited. go figure.

man i still can't friggin stand uconn. they are so unskilled it's pathetic... and now these damned mid major teams both advanced to the sweet 16 so all uconn has to do is beat washington and they're baisicly in the final 4.

i've now become a huge washington fan... at least for next weekend.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:24 PM   #234
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

go huskies...of the uconn variety
Old 03-19-2006, 06:59 PM   #235
War Child

what a bad first weekend for me

lost...

7 sweet sixteen teams (8 if nova loses)
4 elite 8 teams
1 final four team
1 team in the finals (they were the loser though)
Old 03-19-2006, 08:54 PM   #236
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

man i still can't friggin stand uconn. they are so unskilled it's pathetic... and now these damned mid major teams both advanced to the sweet 16 so all uconn has to do is beat washington and they're baisicly in the final 4.
That's not really true. Yeah, UConn has an army of big goons down low, and Rudy Gay is some athletic freak who doesn't get the most out of his talent, but Rashad Anderson is an excellent shooter. And Marcus Williams is by far the best PG in the country -- definitely better at distributing the ball than distributing stolen merchandise, at any rate.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:56 PM   #237
Blue Crack Distributor

i'll give you williams and anderson, and denham brown has improved drasticly since his freshman year...

but i can't stand watching uconn play... even when everything's clicking on all cylanders, which is rarely for more than 5 minutes at a time anymore... they run NO plays, they bump the shit out of everyone on defense.. their huge advantage is supposedly their bigs and they are TERRIBLE. i wish i had a penny for every air ball i've seen josh boone shoot this year... i'd have a bunch of pennies. and i'm not gonna even talk about what a joke rudy gay is... but frankly without their incredible size, length and athleticism of the guys down low, i don't see them as any better than, say, Pitt. but it's those big goons down low that allows them to be this successful, and i can't stand it. neither of those guys have the offensive skills of sheldin williams, and sheldin williams' offense stinks.

it's been said already... if calhoun didn't allow a laptop theif to come back early, we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now 'cause uconn's season would probably already be over.

every "expert" on earth talked about how losing to syracuse was "a wake up call" for "by far the most talented team in the nation," completely ignoring that they almost lost to louisville and notre dame coming down the stretch... and now they've nearly blown it to friggin university of albany and a sub-par kentucky team. is it still just a wake up call? or, with the disapointing performance by the big east thus far in this tournament, combined with all these close calls, has uconn been exposed for what they really are? can anyone really watch this team play on a consistant basis and honestly tell me that the fact that nba scouts see 6 potential first round draft picks on the uconn roster, including a potential #1 overall in rudy gay, and not tie that to the reasons why american basketball sucks right now and we lose to the friggin puerto ricans? or am i just crazy?

i think jim calhoun may have replaced roy williams as my most disliked coach in all of college basketball.

and now that i've gone on my uconn sucks rant, i have officialy planted the black kiss of death on every other team, and they will go on to win the title and set american basketball back another 5 years. yayy me.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:16 PM   #238
Blue Crack Addict

I'll follow that lovely post up with...

Go UConn.

And I have BC in an upset over Villanova coming up...
Old 03-20-2006, 05:51 PM   #239
Acrobat

Quote:
the only team that's ever won a championship for roy williams was the team he never recruited. go figure.

i've now become a huge washington fan... at least for next weekend.
We'll take all the fans we can get! Time to avenge for Rip Hamilton's buzzer-beater in '98 Sweet Sixteen, when UConn was a 2 seed and UW was an 11. I still have nightmares about that shot...

OK, so Gonzaga is in the Sweet Sixteen - on that note, I will eat crow. However, I was at least somewhat justified by their performance against Xavier, yes? Beating Indiana does not impress me much either, considering how SPECTACULAR the Big 10 has been this year. I hope UCLA will run them out of the building, but since I'm not convinced UCLA is very good, it'll be a close match.

Anyway, all is good - Washington is still alive and I'm in first place in Interference Pick-em. ...unfortunately, I won't be in first for long, based on my Elite Eight and Final Four picks...
Old 03-23-2006, 12:23 AM   #240
War Child

Buckeye country is a bit shocked as the men (2 seed) AND women (1 seed) got rolled EARLY. My bracket is totally busted...but it's good to know I'm not alone.