Ah i love st. louis cards.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I loved and still admire about Edmonds is that he is one who is not afraid to get his uniform dirty...that's a ballplayer! :up:

Cards v Dodgers...could be a good set; first meeting this year, let's see which LA team shows up...:)

Chizip said:
if this hurricane postpones the cubs-marlins series it could make for interesting scheduling, cant bew good for the cubs or marlins

This should be interesting. It is too bad they just didn't change the two weekends.

2 hit dominating shut out performance for morris tonight

sanders with a home run and a double

if both of them could get hot the rest of the way, then we'd be unstoppable

if Morris pitches like he can, like he did in the 2001 playoffs in those duels against schilling even though we came up on the wrong end, we would really really be unstoppable as you said.

his velocity was higher last night than normal too

Mr. BAW, my dad also grew up in the 50s and 60s (but in NC) and he said he got hooked on the Cards when he watched Stan the Man bat, and now I've been raised a Cardinals fan.

Jim Edmonds is my fave Cards player...not only is he an awesome player, he's f***ing hot!

well the cardinals clinched the central division when nobody (but me) predicted them higher than third

not too shabby

hopefully everybody will get healthy and on track for the playoffs

they clinched a tie.

a win clinchesthe division today or a cubs loss.

and i predicted them 2nd sadly, but thats still higher than third.

one thing that strikes me about the cards this season is that the ENTIRE team is carrying them this season, as opposed to many other teams where its just a handful of players that help bring victories.

they actually already clinched the divsion title

if they ended up tying with the cubs at the end of the year the cardinals would still win the division because they have a better head to head record against the cubs

so its all over folks, just need to get homefiled advantage through the nl partof the playoffs, the magic number for that is 5

StlElevation said:
not if chicago doesnt win the wild card

if the cubs win 97 games the are guarenteed the wild card

so while the magic number is still 1 to clinch outright, the cardinals have gaurenteed themselves the division title

there are no circumstances in which the cardinals could not win the division title

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- In Tony La Russa's version of the NL standings, the St. Louis Cardinals still have to win one more game to clinch the Central division title.

The Cardinals manager refused to acknowledge his team already had clinched the division, both before and after Sunday's 3-2 loss to the Arizona Diamondbacks.

St. Louis ensured its third division title in five seasons on Saturday when the Cardinals beat Arizona 7-0, and San Francisco and the Chicago Cubs both lost.

Those results guaranteed that St. Louis will finish no worse than tied at 97 wins with the Cubs, who also would be guaranteed a playoff berth. Under baseball's rules, St. Louis would be awarded the Central title because it won the season series 11-8 and Chicago would get the wild-card spot.

La Russa wants to clinch it on the field. He stormed out of his postgame news conference after angrily responding to a question about delaying the traditional champagne celebration.

``Yeah, we're celebrating,'' La Russa barked. ``What the hell kind of question is that? That's a rule for the thing when you're tied at the end of the season. We've got another 14 games to go, man.''

The clubhouse was unusually quiet and subdued after the game. The Cardinals start a 10-game trip Monday in Milwaukee.

``The formula says we clinched, we clinched,'' pitcher Jason Marquis said. ``You've got to be happy about that. But it does seem a little depressed in here.''

Drew Baur, one of the Cardinals' owners, said simply: ``No shampoo today.''

Before the game, even though T-shirts commemorating the achievement already were on sale outside the ballpark and public address announcer John Ulett referred to the clinching of a playoff spot, La Russa preferred to ignore the mathematics.

On the message board just inside the clubhouse door, La Russa wrote: ``Magic # Is 1. Championship Won On Field. Not Some Formula!!''

``It's legitimate,'' La Russa said before the game. ``You don't win things because of a formula, only if it comes down to the fact that you can't do it on the field. We can do it on the field.''

did not read that. i just saw that the mgc # was 1, and knowing that clinched a tie.

so, i figured that if stlouis lost all their games, chicago won all theirs but lost the wild card to san fran, there would be a tie between stl/chc, forcing a playoff.

apparently the cubs would not lose the wild card though.

i tried getting them on the internet, i was in a "virtual waiting room" for 6 hours and never got through so I gave up. I'm hoping something will pop up somehow.

i only plan on leaving connecticut to go to st louis if they make it to the series, so i didnt even try to get lds/lcs tickets

if the cardinals play the braves in the nlcs im going down to atl for a game and shacking up with you

2 to go? 10. the only thing that'll satisfy me this year with either the cards or the sox (hopefully the cards since ive liked them forever) is a world series.

Back
Top Bottom