Agree or Disagree.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aardvark747

Blue Crack Addict
http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/article.asp?ID=8887&type=NWS

'Cradle of Filth t-shirt offence

25 Oct 2005 - Boy charged for wearing CoF t-shirt

Adam Shepherd has been ordered to do 80 hours of community service and pay £40 costs for wearing the Cradle of Filth t-shirt that says 'Jesus Is A C*nt'.

The 18-year-old was charged in Weymouth under a law prohibiting the display of religiously insulting or abusive signs.

Although the slogan is the most offensive part of the t-shirt, it seems that the image of the nun masturbating on the front was overlooked.'

Just wanted to get some opinions on this, about the rights and wrongs of this type of thing. Now I have to admit (and I am ashamed to do so) that I used to own this t-shirt. I am a fan of the band still, but a few years ago when I was about 16 and going to see them live for the 1st time, I decided to buy this shirt. Why? Cos like a lot of young teens, I wanted to be 'different'. I was already listening to music that I thought was different, now I wanted the most shocking t-shirt to show ppl this.

I wore it to the gig, as did many others, and more than once I was verbally abused by passers by outside the venue. This didnt really bother me, it was only when after the gig near a train station in London, when 2 police approached me and said that if I didnt remove it, I would be "spending the night in a cell". This was quite scary to hear at my age! I did cover it up anyway with a jumper, and just thought "wanker" or something similar.

NOW however, nearly 7 years on, having grown up a lot, I realise that wearing the shirt in a public place like a train station, was certainly the wrong thing to do.

Any thoughts on this? Is everyone of the opinion that something like this shouldnt be worn in public, or do some think that it's taking the law too far?

(click the link to see the shirt btw)

I can see how someone could think it was alright to wear it to try and be different and show they don't care what other people think, but really you'd have to be stupid to go out wearing it to intentionally insult people and invite abuse. Perhaps this would be best just worn around the house :wink:

I don't understand how the members of Cradle of Filth came to the conclusion that Jesus was in fact a c***, having never met him.

You mean for only $20 I can look like an ass too?:|

Well I'm all for freedom of speech, but I'm not a big fan of speech purely for shock value. But then what do you expect from COF, they wouldn't know art of talent if it smacked them in the face.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
But then what do you expect from COF, they wouldn't know art of talent if it smacked them in the face.

Their music has gone downhill lately, but some of their older stuff is still excellent in my eyes.....tho I dont feel the need to purchase any of their shirts anymore!:wink:

babyman said:
What´s their genre called, Aard?

it's a genre that's been around for a while. it's called 'Shit Music'.

Other members of this genre include Barry Manilow and The Spice Girls.

1stepcloser said:

it's a genre that's been around for a while. it's called 'Shit Music'.

Other members of this genre include Barry Manilow and The Spice Girls.

:)

I know aardvark is up to genres like that, I wanted to ask him what he thinks of another band.
I´m actually up to Progressive Metal, quite a different thing to that "shit music" :wink:
Dream Theater is a great band, when I think of John Petrucci´s 7 string guitar.......................:drool: :drool:

I am pretty liberal, but I can see why that shirt might offend people. I would NOT wear it out in public.

If I saw someone w/ that shirt, I would just think they were a nut and very brave to wear it in public. I would not be offended but I can see why others would be offended.

I'm not really religious, haven't been to church in quite a while, but that shirt is bang out of order.

However, the fact that one individual is taking the slings and arrows for having it out in public (which in itself would upset people) is quite ridiculous when the Police could be spending time more effectively by finding where he bought it, who's making them and so on instead of making an example out of one individual.

I think the shirt is stupid and I wouldn't buy it or wear it anywhere (but I don't wear logo or band t-shirts anyway), but I think making laws against wearing such items is ludicrous.

What I notice is that generally the people that want to wear such items (teenaged boys) generally grow up and gain a small measure of better taste on their own eventually.

Well said, indra :up:.

It's a shirt. It's only offensive if someone allows it to be. We can't ban something simply because the words are offensive to some people-geez, if that were the case, then lots of things would have to be banned.

Besides that, all this law against wearing that shirt is gonna do is make those who like those shirts want to wear them more often just to piss people off.

Angela

I think being charged and having to do community service and pay a fine is stupid but I think the person who wears the shirt and the band who promotes the shirt is even dumber. I'm not into things that are soley for the purpose of offending others. I hate shirts with swear words written on them also. I just think it looks so terrible. I mean young kids see these things, grandmothers see these things. If you agree with the shirt than o.k. but there is no need to go around wearing a shirt like that. I don't know. I just think the person wearing such trash looks like a total ass. It says alot about them in my opinion and it's not somthing positive in my mind. It's the same thing as wearinga shirt that says some bogus hateful thing like "Muslums are faggots." What's the point? To spew hate that's all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom